why two dogs

My dog just got his first on sun night. he was on his own, but is nearly 2 so i thought he could handle it and he did. I don't think a dog that couldn't do it on his own would be any good to me as we hunt covers and sometimes it wouldn't be possible for another dog to help as they maybe a field or so away. I'll see over the next few weeks how mines turns out after a few more under his belt but hes had a good start so fingers crossed.

spot on pal we hunt cover for foxes aswell and we need single handed dogs :thumbs:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Da slayer   Little Timmy   Undisputed   Stabba and a bit of Wag   The only posts on here worth readin.... Honest!!   As for the subject, been done to death, I don't give a flyin feck whic

exactly! if a terrier can do it so can a big old lurcher if its a pup entering fair enough...  

This old chest nut. AGAIN. This must be the 4th post i've seen about it in the last month. The answers for pro's and con's NEVER change. Instead of chatting shit about the same old shit why not get ou

I got a fox the other day doubled up with another dog but I know my dog is capeable of doin it itself doubling them up just makes it that bit more easyier for the dogs instead of one dog gettin smashed to bits

a single handed dog getting smashed to bits, doesn't that in its self tell you something of its capability,or lack of it as the case may be,as bunnys said,some good single handed dogs hardly receive any damage at all,if anything iv seen more wounds to the dogs when doubled up, usually the made dog will take the sharp end but can take more damage than necessary with another dog ragging the back end of a fox at the same time,jmo

i agree with what your saying about dogs gettin smashed up when doubled up but all we hunt is foxes and i can tell ye we have good single handed lurchers that will take a fox by the first part of the body it can and foxes can turn in a split second and lock onto a dog leaving puncture wounds

my bedy grey takes them single handed its no big deal, fox's are a piece of .....

i think that is an undersatement mate foxes are not a piece of cake i have seen more dogs shy away from foxes than i have any think else :thumbs:

Makes me laugh when people come out with obviously "experianced" comments regarding ole basil....Well said N01

my bedy grey takes them single handed its no big deal, fox's are a piece of .....

i think that is an undersatement mate foxes are not a piece of cake i have seen more dogs shy away from foxes than i have any think else :thumbs:

so whatb ageshall i put my dog on a fox es 14 and half month and e as tangled up with them single handed but jst crnt seem to grip them and old it

any time i here of boys lamping foxs with lurchers its allways two dog.surely its farer using one dog plus you will no how good your dog really is does anybody agree.

my dogs can take them single handed tryed an tested

but i slip 2dogs only to catch numbers an i dont mean two or three :thumbs:

if its numbers that makes your night then can i reccomend a 22-250,they dont eat as much as a dog and they will never tire!!! most lads run their dogs for sport,to test their dogs week in week out,if they get away good luck to em! having a "guarenteed" dog is all about doing a single handed job consistantly at their quarry whatever it may be,dogs arnt machines and can refuse,jack,spew whatever you want to call it at anytime of life,a dog that works single handed season after season earns the title "guarenteed" through consistantly doing what he does alone not with help from other dogs. too many folk have their dogs out e few times alone then give it the title "guarenteed" and run doubled up with the excuse that he can do it single handed...........if you wnnt to know if your dogs "guarenteed" work him alone season after season!!!!!! thats my 10 pence worth anyway!:victory:

any time i here of boys lamping foxs with lurchers its allways two dog.surely its farer using one dog plus you will no how good your dog really is does anybody agree.

to true mate :thumbs:

if its numbers that makes your night then can i reccomend a 22-250,they dont eat as much as a dog and they will never tire!!! most lads run their dogs for sport,to test their dogs week in week out,if they get away good luck to em! having a "guarenteed" dog is all about doing a single handed job consistantly at their quarry whatever it may be,dogs arnt machines and can refuse,jack,spew whatever you want to call it at anytime of life,a dog that works single handed season after season earns the title "guarenteed" through consistantly doing what he does alone not with help from other dogs. too many folk have their dogs out e few times alone then give it the title "guarenteed" and run doubled up with the excuse that he can do it single handed...........if you wnnt to know if your dogs "guarenteed" work him alone season after season!!!!!! thats my 10 pence worth anyway!:victory:

wag thats shit mate my dogs guarnteed single handed but why run him to catch 2-3 when i can run him doubled up n catch 6-7 in a night :icon_eek:

wag thats shit mate my dogs guarnteed single handed but why run him to catch 2-3 when i can run him doubled up n catch 6-7 in a night :icon_eek:

maybe some people like to see a dog working on its own and see what its capabile of .Id prefer to see a good single handed dog doing its jod on 1 or two foxes then 2 dogs killing 3 or 4 etc

yeah but taking 6-7 with 2 dogs is no different to taking 3 with 1 dog imo because 2 dogs on 1 the dogs only doing half a job imo

read the post again you have answered your own question .

also i would rather see a dog work its quarry on its own and appreciate the sporting chance given to the quarry and knowing when i had finished a nights lamping, i know i'm taking a single handed "guarenteed "dog home ...

like i said if its numbers that excites you get yourself a 22-250..:victory:

I got a fox the other day doubled up with another dog but I know my dog is capeable of doin it itself doubling them up just makes it that bit more easyier for the dogs instead of one dog gettin smashed to bits

a single handed dog getting smashed to bits, doesn't that in its self tell you something of its capability,or lack of it as the case may be,as bunnys said,some good single handed dogs hardly receive any damage at all,if anything iv seen more wounds to the dogs when doubled up, usually the made dog will take the sharp end but can take more damage than necessary with another dog ragging the back end of a fox at the same time,jmo

i agree with what your saying about dogs gettin smashed up when doubled up but all we hunt is foxes and i can tell ye we have good single handed lurchers that will take a fox by the first part of the body it can and foxes can turn in a split second and lock onto a dog leaving puncture wounds

:thumbs:

Dont care what dog it is...any dog in regular contact with foxes is gunna get bit...Take the foxhounds for example...fox killin machines but still carrying the scars to prove it.

First thing a fox does when a dog closes with it is spin and try to bite.

Admittedley not all foxes make contact but a damn fair few of them do.

5 nights a week foxin and no bites to the face or legs??? lala land mate...atb stabba

mate,im not saying a dog will not take the odd bite that would be ridiculous, but a dog getting "smashed to bits" as was previously said is not doing the job effectively in my eyes.

so whatb ageshall i put my dog on a fox es 14 and half month and e as tangled up with them single handed but jst crnt seem to grip them and old it

Me personally, I'd give him about a month and then try again. If he is on, good to go. If not another month and try again and if he dont do it then, I'd either get shed of him or learn to live with the fact that while he may someday do it, the dog is simply not cut out for it truthfully.

Dont care what dog it is...any dog in regular contact with foxes is gunna get bit...Take the foxhounds for example...fox killin machines but still carrying the scars to prove it.

5 nights a week foxin and no bites to the face or legs??? lala land mate...atb stabba

mate,im not saying a dog will not take the odd bite that would be ridiculous, but a dog getting "smashed to bits" as was previously said is not doing the job effectively in my eyes.

A dog will take more punishment during its first season or two as it learns to to come to terms with its job. No matter how proficient it becomes it will still take some sore ones. Comes with the territory. Any dog being smashed to bits will spend more time in the kennel recovering than working.

• Like 1

A dog will take more punishment during its first season or two as it learns to to come to terms with its job. No matter how proficient it becomes it will still take some sore ones. Comes with the territory. Any dog being smashed to bits will spend more time in the kennel recovering than working.

i don't disagree with that at all mate