feeding young ferrets

hi

i have two new ferrets that are 8 weeks old the guy said feed them dry food unsoaked as thats what they have been on but i have been giving them soaked food as it seems that when they are given dry they struggle to bite it

then some one else told me to give them soaked untill they are 16 weeks

what should i do :thumbs:

my kits are approx 7 weeks old, their on minced meat, odd day old chick for testing teeth they ase munching happily,i give them some ferret dry for extra nutrients, two kits are crunching away at the dry, no bother, the other is a bit slow but is getting the idea, just give them time

as long as their getting a varied diet that is healthy, high in protein and their gaining weight you have nothing to worry about :thumbs:

do what you think is best. my little fella cant crunch the dry very good so i make it soft, but i add a bit of dry to get him used to it . he also has raw fresh chicken for supper.

Some sound advice there, I feed dry during the day and meat on an evening. They have been on dry since they were 7 weeks. Was thinking that if they are 8 weeks old and struggeling with dry, so your soaking there dry food, there jaws wouldnt be as strong as they would be if it was just dry. Maby its better for them if they struggle a little with the dry at first to strengthen there jaws and that, but feed them meat on a night so they arent struggling too eat all the time. Sure they will crack it with age but dont think its best for them in the long run to still be fed soaked dry. Am I making any sense? Haha

All the best,

Bleachtastesnice

='The one' date='16 July 2010 - 05:35 PM' timestamp='1279301714' post='1635677']

Fresh whole rabbit

Whole rabbit as in skin, head, guts, the lot?

Take the guts out and pop it in about 22.00 hrs and let them fed all night