angora ferrets ?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those who see Angoras as a money making operation, be aware that Angora jills do not produce sufficient milk to rear their kits successfully, so the kits have to be fostered to a nursing ferret ji

It is well known that the full angora strain can not suckle their young. To raise angora kits from an angoraXangora mating you must take the kits and put them on a normal lactating ferret jill [of cou

The twats peddling these ferrets want stringing up with their toe nails :wallbash:

My mate just brought one of these think it a cross but i call him a poof for getting one apparantly they cant always rear there own young.

They can't suckle their young full stop... :no: The milk dries up after a few days. They also lack the normal ferrets double coat, so they cant be kept in the same manner as a normal ferret, and need grooming on a daily basis as they can't clean themselves properly.

A pointless fecking animal..

Would'nt mind a pair of Angora slippers for Christmas if anyone wants to buy me a pair, dont know how many Angrora's it would take to make two size elevevens :laugh:

11 :o

They can't suckle their young full stop... :no: The milk dries up after a few days. They also lack the normal ferrets double coat, so they cant be kept in the same manner as a normal ferret, and need grooming on a daily basis as they can't clean themselves properly.

Hit the nail on the head there, Mal. :thumbs:

Guest stewie

My mate just brought one of these think it a cross but i call him a poof for getting one apparantly they cant always rear there own young.

lol why are they not extinct then??? my mate breeds them with no problems whatsoever got some on now @ £80 each :icon_eek: stupid people pay stupid prices :thumbs:

Edited by stewie

lol why are they not extinct then??? my mate breeds them with no problems whatsoever got some on now @ £80 each :icon_eek: stupid people pay stupid prices :thumbs:

It is well known that the full angora strain can not suckle their young. To raise angora kits from an angoraXangora mating you must take the kits and put them on a normal lactating ferret jill [of course, not many of the folks who do this like to say what happens to the standard, altogether more useful normal ferret kits that have to 'make way' for the angora kits] or breed an angora hob to a normal ferret jill. The normal jill can suckle the young without issue, though this does not produce entire litters of angoras. The halfbred angora things produced from such a mating are more capable of suckling their young, but no less of a travesty in my eyes. That's my understanding of the whole sad mess, anyway.

Your mate sounds like a toss pot. :thumbdown:

• Like 1

It is well known that the full angora strain can not suckle their young. To raise angora kits from an angoraXangora mating you must take the kits and put them on a normal lactating ferret jill [of course, not many of the folks who do this like to say what happens to the standard, altogether more useful normal ferret kits that have to 'make way' for the angora kits] or breed an angora hob to a normal ferret jill. The normal jill can suckle the young without issue, though this does not produce entire litters of angoras. The halfbred angora things produced from such a mating are more capable of suckling their young, but no less of a travesty in my eyes. That's my understanding of the whole sad mess, anyway.

What he said, or they hand feed the litter. :yes:

Your mate sells them cheap, they usually retail at about £200... :thumbdown:

Guest stewie

he is on this forum and id watch what you say mate you wouldnt be saying that to his face ill tell you that for nothing!!!!

i asked him earlier and he told me i was wrong pures cant suckle there young he has bred a litter of 3/4s angoras the jill being the half cross so shes got no problem rearing her young. his wife and kids like showing ferrets thats why he has them aswell as his workers :thumbs: tbh i dont really care they aint my thing but i wouldnt mind £800 sitting in a hutch im my garden as i said stupid people pay stupid prices if there is a market for them why shouldnt he breed them???? by the sounds of it they are cheap

Edited by stewie

he is on this forum and id watch what you say mate you wouldnt be saying that to his face ill tell you that for nothing!!!!

i asked him earlier and he told me i was wrong pures cant suckle there young he has bred a litter of 3/4s angoras the jill being the half cross so shes got no problem rearing her young. his wife and kids like showing ferrets thats why he has them aswell as his workers :thumbs: tbh i dont really care they aint my thing but i wouldnt mind £800 sitting in a hutch im my garden as i said stupid people pay stupid prices if there is a market for them why shouldnt he breed them???? by the sounds of it they are cheap

How many of these comments ie"its well known they cant suckle their young" "the milk dries up after a couple of days" are hearsay and how many from knowledgable experienced breeders? Dont these angora jills shed their coats like normal jill ferrets before giving birth?

Y.I.S Leeview

Did you just threaten me over the Internet, good sir?

Seriously though, I don't think 'shows' are a good enough excuse for breeding genetically deficient animals which have no practical use. Just because there's a market doesn't mean that it should be filled. they shouldn't be bred because ultimately, they are deleterious to the ferret as a species. It doesn't sound cheap to me. It sounds expensive for a genetically deficient animal that could never work.

Breeding for form over function is never beneficial. I believe the same to be true for dogs and horses also.

Your mate is welcome to share his perspective, but threats and implied thuggery are not impressive in the least.

Edited by Coneytrappr