Has any one found a bumblebee nest this year?

I'm researching bumblebee nests.

I've had loads of people from the general public who have found a nest in their garden, and filled in a questionnaire for me about their bees, which is great. I was just reading another post about how kids from hunting families know more about nature and thought that as nearly all of the site's members spend most of their time in the countryside probably loads of folk have found nests this year.

If you'd like to take part, I'd really appreciate your help if you would pm me.

Thank you!

Guest chook

Have got some White tails nesting in the garden somewere, last year we had some Early bumble bees nesting,

but have noticed they are now starting to die off, keep finding them dead or dieing.

I've noticed a few different types in my garden. There are miners out in the back. Plus I've had Earlys, carders and white tailed ones hanging around. Not too sure if they're nesting on my property but I haven't really looked very hard.

I love bees :D

I'm researching bumblebee nests.

I've had loads of people from the general public who have found a nest in their garden, and filled in a questionnaire for me about their bees, which is great. I was just reading another post about how kids from hunting families know more about nature and thought that as nearly all of the site's members spend most of their time in the countryside probably loads of folk have found nests this year.

If you'd like to take part, I'd really appreciate your help if you would pm me.

Thank you!

What the fu(k do you want to know not replyed to anyone and i sent a pm was you fu(king bored or somthing :boxing:

had a dig to cubs sat and went right through a nest must have been at least 2 foot down hole like a rat would be in..sorry didnt get no photo loads of the fuckers got the stings to prove it,and it was only a dog fox givin best... farmers know f**k all

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies, I belive I have messaged everyone who has a nest. Thanks also for the links to the other thread about a couple of nests. No offence by not replying quickly - I was away from the computer for a day.

Females can sting, and as someone pointed out previously, they are not barbed stings, so the same bee can sting you repeatedly! Although after a couple of stings, an average bumblebee seems not to have much venom left and they are less sore!

The females do all the work in the nests. They have to do all the brood care, foraging for nectar and pollen to feed to the developing bees and also defend the nest from would be intruders (like badgers). The vast majority of bees in the nest are females.

The males don't need stings as they just sit about on flowers drinking and look for young queens to come by to mate with.

I'm afraid I know almost nothing about mining so bees so can't comment.

Finding the odd dead bee is to be expected as individuals only live for a few weeks as they work so hard foraging for the nest. If you find tons of them under one plant for example, this is much more strange and would suggest that perhaps the plant has been sprayed with something or, once there was a report of a family of great tits that learned how to break bumblebee's stings and then eat them, resulting in very many dead bees under a patch of trees.

Chook; have you found where your nest is in your garden?

Lurchergirl; keep an eye out for them flying anywhere unexpected - ie, anywhere without flowers - especially in any untidy areas of the garden like under sheds, compost heaps, etc. Although bird boxes alsom seem to be popular nest sites for them.

Thanks, and if anyone finds one, please PM me.

Steph