Two Legged Squirrel......there's a first

Caught a squirrel in a cage trap tonight in a clients garden, (number 10 in just over a week) and was amazed to find it had two legs missing right front and left back. Both cuts were extremely neat not broken and jagged like you would find in a trap caught escapee. The front one was nearly healed and the rear leg wound was clean and uninfected but still open. I have seen loads of mended (trap type) wounds but never any as cleanly cut as these.........any ideas as to the possible cause of such injuries?

post-12022-127653589858_thumb.jpg

post-12022-127653597584_thumb.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive been looking in amazement at those photos.....i honestly cant make any sensible suggestions as to the cause.I find it hard to belive the missing limbs were as a result of "trapping" as there so neat,almost surgical....besides wich,if this squirrel was to be unfortunate enough to be foul caught,losing a limb in the process,what are the chances of this happening twice ! im "stumped",but great photos rolfe.

ive been looking in amazement at those photos.....i honestly cant make any sensible suggestions as to the cause.I find it hard to belive the missing limbs were as a result of "trapping" as there so neat,almost surgical....besides wich,if this squirrel was to be unfortunate enough to be foul caught,losing a limb in the process,what are the chances of this happening twice ! im "stumped",but great photos rolfe.

I am also bewildered about this - I thought about RTA and then discounted it

To be that clean I can only think that they were 'removed' when the squirrel was a young one, maybe by a cat or something ... not sure really

Got me stumped!

OTC

Wow. really interesting. Ive caught a squirrel with no tail but this is amazing! Im shocked it could have survived this. My guess would have to be the limbs were lost in a fenn trap but they look very neat cuts which seem to point against a fenn trap.

Well done for taking photos! I doubt i would have believed it if i hadnt seen it. :notworthy:

Was an adult squirrel and the wounds were reasonably fresh.........can't think for the life of me what caused them........very unusual to say the least. Oh well don't suppose we'll ever know for sure but sure is interesting none the less.

Dunno . I suppose a squill might well chew itself to clean up a wound and that might explain the neatness of things . In a rural area I s'pose a near thing with a .22 round.Maybe someone playing with home-made snares , but my money is that its been chucked-up by an untunnelled Fenn but as has been said -looks too squared -off .

What about electrocution on a power-line or similar ?

Edited by comanche

THE FOX OFTEN KILLS POULTRY IN EXACTLY THE SAME MANNOR .......... IT CHASES THE BIRD ROUND THE PEN TILL THE SCARED STIFF POULTRY PUSHES ITS HEAD THROUGH THE MESH IN AN ATTEMPT TO BREAK FREE .......... THEN THE OWNER COMES DOWN TO FIND A HEAD LESS BIRD ..............

FOXY DOES THE SAME WITH OTHER CAPTIVES IN A SIMILAR MANNOR :yes:

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING