daytime dogs

fair enough. never been able to catch fallow daytime being honest only seen a few and pointless course through the woods within few minutes gone but same dog could do daytime hare, fallow plus munjack at night. just remember this was all in my dreams lol

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"What's easier for a dog; Hare or Roe" ? Bit of a daft question in my oppinion. I've seen hares taken out of their seat by dogs that couldn't catch a hare given fair law...also seen roe bounce of fenc

You want to get a better dog then................................. If the dog isn't actively trying to kill it he ain't gonna be HOLDING for very long. I have seen dogs kill all species of deer up to

hare,iv had dogs that would not stand a chance on a good hare,but deer were readily taken,jmo

:whistling:

fair enough. never been able to catch fallow daytime being honest only seen a few and pointless course through the woods within few minutes gone but same dog could do daytime hare, fallow plus munjack at night. just remember this was all in my dreams lol

:thumbs:

hare,iv had dogs that would not stand a chance on a good hare,but deer were readily taken,jmo :thumbs:

thats suprized me as i thought if a dog was able to take a deer in the day he would have been able to take a hare. in your opinion/experience what do you think the hare as that the deer doesnt to make him harder to catch.

turning ability for one,iv only ever run a few hares pre-ban,not looking for them but the chance arose a couple times and my dogs just not got the ability to run clever bide time and put in a strike,just loose to much ground on the turns,but then they never gonna be productive hare catchers anyway,fallow and muntjack can often be pressured enough to try and straight line a dog toward cover,this is one of the mistakes i seen regularly wich can be their downfall,iv seen hare make mistakes that a good coursing dog would take advantage of,often when a deer is pressured into a mistake,well more often than not its their last.

think you also have to take into account,many of the hare courses can go on for 4/5min maybe in a large open field,only from what iv seen, deer i have run have not had this luxury and almost certainly will head straight for the nearest cover,jmo :thumbs:

another thing is that muntjack are reluctant to leave cover,but early morning hunting can often find them eating their fill on open field,bigger target for the dog to see therefore by the time the deer realizes the dog may well already be up on them from a relatively long slip,if a deer reaches cover,well the game is lost imo,never had a dog catch when trying to run in woodland

Edited by watchman

No fallow around me but comparing the hare to a roe is difficult imho they both test a dog in different ways,imo deer are faster in a straight line the dog must be confident to carry the chase on to the final moments,the cover where deer usually make big mistakes day and night.The dog in question must be confident running at high speeds towards cover fences etc or the chance on catching drops! The hare again excellent test for any dog,athlete turns on a pin prick very fast good stamina,once the dog and hare begin to tire the hare has the upper hand its down to the dog to use there speed and agility with care to produce the goods! Alot of dogs over run hares not reading the next move etc! Therefor im with the HARE!

another thing is that muntjack are reluctant to leave cover,but early morning hunting can often find them eating their fill on open field,bigger target for the dog to see therefore by the time the deer realizes the dog may well already be up on them from a relatively long slip,if a deer reaches cover,well the game is lost imo,never had a dog catch when trying to run in woodland

A mate of mine that was killed a few year back owned one of the best dogs ive seen,it seemed to never miss! At the time we were running a saluki grey and my mate bitch teil was a mix of lurcher to lurcher cant remember exact breed but she was probs the best id seen! We would let the terrier and lurchers work big woodland together,the terrier sounds like a hound when on scent or vision, teil was forever taking roe in big woods or catching just outside,but dont get me wrong its one of the only dogs ive ever seen capable of doing this! She wasnt a huge dog about 20-23" collie in the blood some where along with other stuff but like i say all a memory now! The dogs now retired will be about 13 still with his parents!

A mate of mine that was killed a few year back owned one of the best dogs ive seen,it seemed to never miss! At the time we were running a saluki grey and my mate bitch teil was a mix of lurcher to lurcher cant remember exact breed but she was probs the best id seen! We would let the terrier and lurchers work big woodland together,the terrier sounds like a hound when on scent or vision, teil was forever taking roe in big woods or catching just outside,but dont get me wrong its one of the only dogs ive ever seen capable of doing this! She wasnt a huge dog about 20-23" collie in the blood some where along with other stuff but like i say all a memory now! The dogs now retired will be about 13 still with his parents!

cant knock a good dog mate,and not saying a dog cant catch in woodland,just that mine never have,just that when iv had them hit the cover then its game over,imo they have earnt their freedom :thumbs:

Edited by watchman

cant knock a good dog mate,and not saying a dog cant catch in woodland,just that mine never have,just that when iv had them hit the cover then its game over,imo they have earnt their freedom :thumbs:

Like i say mate its one of the only dogs ive seen do this regular :thumbs:

Like i say mate its one of the only dogs ive seen do this regular :thumbs:

never been lucky enough to have a good dog myself, :clapper: maybe one day eh,atb mate :thumbs: