what happens if jills aren't mated?

you decided that your little smart comments werent called for then willueh? as soon as someone challenges your opinions you have nothing to say, not at least until you have googled it icon_redface.gif

i suggest you stop preaching on here and sit back and try and listen to what other people have to say.

if your unable to listen to other peoples opinions and stories, without calling them liars then you are in the wrong place!

my way or the highway isnt what THL is about is it??

cap end feck.gif

if anybody challenged me with somthing decent to answer too then i would reply and if i have missed somthing then i am sorry.

So you either,

1-missed my first post in this thread.

2-chose to ignore it.

3-don't know of any experiments that have been carried out.

4-the question wasn't decent enough for you to answer.

Which one was it?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The internet can be a great thing, or not. People can talk to each other and tell of their experiences and this is how we can compare things and perhaps learn something. I've had ferrets since 1977,

Here we go again.Who are you to say his advice is dumb ass mate.I have kept ferrets untill 10yrs old and never mated.Yes the vets will tell you they need mating and the pricks that don't no any better

Tote i think your spot on its clear from what i have read on this thread that not all jills drop dead ... i do think its very different from the text book stuff that seems to be quoted a lot & tak

im far from a ferret expert but they can live into their early teens its not unheard of

I have certainly had a few ferrets live into double figures

thumbs.gif is there any more of you out there that dont bring your jills out of season?

Never ever had any problems with my jills heard alot about it just thought it was a mith.

Seen more problems with haveing kits!!!

you decided that your little smart comments werent called for then willueh? as soon as someone challenges your opinions you have nothing to say, not at least until you have googled it icon_redface.gif

i suggest you stop preaching on here and sit back and try and listen to what other people have to say.

if your unable to listen to other peoples opinions and stories, without calling them liars then you are in the wrong place!

cap end feck.gif

if anybody challenged me with somthing decent to answer too then i would reply and if i have missed somthing then i am sorry.

So you either,

2-chose to ignore it.

Which one was it?

Possibly number 2. whistling.gifhmm.gif

I've two five year old jills at the moment mate and never used any of the methods suggested, I had two litter sisters go to thirteen and fourteen were never mated or any of the methods suggested used.

This topic rears its head regurarly and it has been asked, has anyone actually lost a jill through leaving unmated or using one of the methods?.

13 and 14 yrs old, aye whatever.. :laugh:

this man doesnt take care of his ferrets anyways...!!

cap end feck.gif

So you either,

2-chose to ignore it.

Which one was it?

Wrong again, if you read your post again yo will see that you didn't direct it at anyone let alone me so i have nothing to reply too.

cap end feck.gif

So you either,

2-chose to ignore it.

Which one was it?

Wrong again, if you read your post again yo will see that you didn't direct it at anyone let alone me so i have nothing to reply too.

I'm wrong again Wullie, something that you never seem to be.hmm.gif As has already been said elsewhere you're coming across as a know it all.doh.gif

Below was my original post,-

I've asked this question before, on here and on other forums but as yet haven't had an answer so i'm hoping I might get one this time.

I've noticed that quite a few are saying that if a jill stays in season she will lose condition, be poorly and possibly die. Others are saying that they've had jills live to a ripe old age and never been taken out of season, not possible say some.hmm.gif

We can read all the vetinary papers telling us what will [or should] happen if jills are not taken out of season, but my question is,- has anyone heard of any experiments that have been carried out [big or small] and what were the results?

As you'll be able to see in the last sentence I asked " has anyone heard of any experiments", I deliberately didn't direct the question at one individual it was directed at everyone who was replying to this topic, which included you Wullie.

Tote i think your spot on its clear from what i have read on this thread that not all jills drop dead ... i do think its very different from the text book stuff that seems to be quoted a lot & taken as gospel by some .

Maybe the ones who protest so much have never actually had a ferret long enough before its neutered so never has a season to test that theory :clapper:

i took a couple of jills on last year & asked for some advice regarding when they come into season i was told about the options open to me & had then jabbed i will probably have them jabbed again next year as i doubt the small permission i have will warrent me breeding but at least the jills can be bred from if i need them to be

at the end of the day peoples experiences are different & simply because someone sayes there jills not become ill for the last 5 or 6 years dont mean its not true despite what the text books say

• Like 1

Why does this section always seem to churn out expert after expert? I've noticed it ever since I've been a member on here. This section has always been a bit of a double edged sword for me. On one hand I've learned so much thanks to the genuine folk willing to offer their advice & experience, on the other I've become pissed off by the 'I'm right, every other c**t is wrong' attitude displayed by folk who have only been on here for a short while, seemingly intent on dragging us all from some perceived dark age of ferret keeping into the light. In the 3 years I've been a member, this section has seen more f*****g messiahs than the holy land has in the last 2000 years! :doh:

Who's to say one persons opinion is the right one? Would you take the word of someone who has been in the game 5 minutes yet knows the in's and out's of all things scientific with regards to ferret biology, or do you take the advice of the seasoned old ferreter who has done things his own way for the last 30 years with no problems?

Edited by maltenby

Why does this section always seem to churn out expert after expert? I've noticed it ever since I've been a member on here. This section has always been a bit of a double edged sword for me. On one hand I've learned so much thanks to the genuine folk willing to offer their advice & experience, on the other I've become pissed off by the 'I'm right, every other c**t is wrong' attitude displayed by folk who have only been on here for a short while, seemingly intent on dragging us all from some perceived dark age of ferret keeping into the light. In the 3 years I've been a member, this section has seen more f*****g ferret keeping & ferret health messiahs than the holy land has in the last 2000 years! :doh:

Who's to say one persons opinion is the right one? Would you take the word of someone who has been in the game 5 minutes yet knows the in's and out's of all things scientific with regards to ferret biology, or do you take the advice of the seasoned old ferreter who has done things his own way for the last 30 years with no problems?

I agree with you mal everyone of us does things differently theres loads i have learned over the last 4 or so years of being a member on here & theres lots of things i have shaken my head at

All I know is this, until its proven that jills dont need to be bred to stay healthy, then I will carry on with the old blank firing hobs, purely because I hate to lose good animals to anything, and most folk I know that lose a jill, normally lose them in the Summer, not scientific I know, but If I can do anything to save losing a good jill, then I'm up for that :thumbs:

As ive said before when my snipped hob turned his toes upward my jills that came into season in september that year didn't get brought out of season as i thought the shorter daylight would do the trick ,Wrong they seemed to be in season for ages and though they looked rough as fook none turn there toes upward .But leaving thems not for me i go with the snipped hob option

I jill jabbed my first 2 girls, untill one had a phamton and drove us all mad, so they were then spayed, one jill died young of heart problem the other was 7 and had an anal gland tumor. I will proberly always spay now (only have hobs at the moment) as it just so much easyer as ours all live together and I like a happy easy life.

I heard many times that jills will die if not taken out of season but I never heard of it happening, and a V hob taking a jill out is a good option but you could end up with unwanted Kitts and I wouldn't want to put my jill through mating as it looks so vilent.