greyhound ferrets

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Food doesn't change genetics matey, if you've a genetically small kit, and you over feed it, you'd get a short fat ferret. i think it's a bit of a sweeping statement '1. runt of a litter 2. litter n

Hope magwitch doesn't mind me re-posting his photo. But here is a micro ferret but don't think they are the same as greyhound fezzers. but they are definately smaller than ya normal ferrets.    

thats an odd statment kay, you could say the same about evry breed of dog, dackshound to german shepard, same species, but very difrnt in apperance, both have exactly the same bone count and muscl

Posted Images

Would like to see some greyhound type hobs......................

and jills .... none so far.

You claimed earlier in the thread that you thought these ferrets didnt exist ... so have you changed your mind if you dont think the pictures shown in the thread so far are the greyhound type ferret :clapper: you must have some preconceived idea of what you define as a greyhound type ferret

after my earlier post i cant belive im posting again, but why are some of you so thik.

you all accept that evry domestic species of animal us humas have , from dogs to chickens , cows to rabbits, pigs to chinchilas, ect ect ect. have totaly difrent types and difrent skelatal strucktures and differing muscle strucktures

and yet you cant accept there are difrent types of ferret, that with a bit of thought will breed true to type, look no farther than the angora, or any of the colour types that will produce the same types,

• Like 1

clapper.gif

I dont think this breed ever exsitsted, you can ask for pictures and if you lucky to get any id say it is the following.

1. runt of a litter

2. litter not being fed properly due to lack of knowledge or neglect.

3. controlled feeding programe to limit there size.

My mate like his jills to be small and decided he wanted to breed so i found him a very small hob to breed with the hob was smaller than most jills, but because he cares about his ferrets it turned out every kit was much bigger than the parents, yes you can breed for colour and size but as for grehond strain as i said i dont believe such thing a ferret is a ferret.

greyhound ferrets arnt small ... typically there long lean animals i dont mean skinny with a roach back . not these new fangled '' micro '' ferrets

They were dubbed greyhound ferrets because of there overall shape .. i think people are quite astonished these days if they see a ferret thats less than 3 kilos in weight & has to roll about like a seal

well done kay yet again a good post and the truth shows how much people know don't it

ive seen little uns, ive seen big uns, ive seen fat uns and thin uns, they have been fast and slow, but they are just ferrets. i dont know if the micro ferrets work or not but i wouldnt have thought they would move a determined rabbit.

ive read all sorts about greyhound ferret but ive never had anyone up here claim to own a strain ever but then again a ferret is a ferret, and people never used to rave about their abilitys. if they worked all well and good if they didnt they were given away or sold.

most times the popularity of an animal ruins its working ability, i like my ferrets and enjoy watching them play etc but they are smelly buggers and i wont have them in the house watching the telly.

I DO LOVE A KNOW IT ALL AND THEN KNOW'S F*CK ALL AND ALL THE ADVIVE GIVEN IS ONLY WHAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE TOLD THEM OR OUT OF A BOOK I HAVE KEPT FERRETS FOR 35YEARS AND I NEVER READ SO MUCK SHIT ABOUT BREEDING AND KEEPING FERRETS ATB TJ

And I love someone stuck in the past.

Things change, knowledge improves.

Or do you still feed milk and slops and snap teeth?

Good answer droid,

Well there has been a few posts about folk like tj claiming to have owned greyhound ferret bas no one has yet managed to put up a picture or give any real hard proof they did/do excistso if any person can prove it then please share it with the world because as i see it, it is only a myth and old codjers like tj thinking back to there youth and since that was alsong time ago his memory might be playing tricks. :feck:

Nothing wrong with my memory mate, believe me or not,I owned and bred them.I'm sure there are plenty of folk left that remember Abbot bros, they advertised weekly in the Exchange and Mart, their standard ferrets where £3 and greyhounds and "small specials" were £10 each. A mate of mine had a "small special" and it was the smallest ferret I've ever seen. I had some greyhounds which were bigger and as I described earlier, they were not starved, they were well fed on flesh. All you've achieved by calling the likes of me, an old codger and insinuating I'm a liar, is show your own ignorance and lack of knowledge. I actually now feel superior as I know something to be a fact that you the "expert" doesn't. Ffs every breed of dog was selectively bred from wolves, but you can't accept that folk could selectively breed a strain of ferrets a bit more lithe than the norm. Or could it just be your pissed off because someone knows more than you. Oh and as for pics, 30 odd yrs ago, we didn't know that the time would come, when everyone would take pictures of everything, as proof because everyone was so dishonest, that nobody believed a word anyone else said!

Agree with every word mate.Last year we had the same discussion.Magwich has small ferrets not g/hounds.Brimmer has pictures of what I believe to be closest to g/hounds I have seen.I kept g/hounds for years (ferrets)the trouble with you lot is you wont listen you know it all.Yes I'm a silly old fart of 61 and kept ferrets since I was 8, but crack on boys I don't know why I evan look at this site any moor P1

I dont think this breed ever exsitsted, you can ask for pictures and if you lucky to get any id say it is the following.

1. runt of a litter

2. litter not being fed properly due to lack of knowledge or neglect.

3. controlled feeding programe to limit there size.

My mate like his jills to be small and decided he wanted to breed so i found him a very small hob to breed with the hob was smaller than most jills, but because he cares about his ferrets it turned out every kit was much bigger than the parents, yes you can breed for colour and size but as for grehond strain as i said i dont believe such thing a ferret is a ferret.

What aload of bull where do you get your information twathead

I've had 2 greyhound ferrets, well I thought I did I always thought Greyhounds referd to there body shape and not there size. My 2 not only where long in body and had the arched back they also seemed to walk differantly like there hips where placed furthered back.

Heres Oliver

100_1049.jpg

and heres Harley

IM000295-1.jpg

Look like normal ferrets to me, but maybe a normal, slim fit ferret is so unusual nowadays that it has to be given a special name.

Like Kay said earlier, the norm among pet owners seems to be like a feckin seal... :laugh: