Dead kits

Hi all

This is one that I can never decide on ,so now I`m on here I thought I would throw it to you lot for some opinions.

In the litter that my wee Jill has just we now have 2 dead kits. These were easy to see without disturbing her so what to do.

The jill is very comfy with us near the litter so do we remove the dead ones for hygenes sake or do we leave well alone and hope she deals with it herself.

Like I say this one always has me undecided so what do you all think ???

see, I myself would leave well alone, have watched my jills remove dead kitts themselves before now, or the next time you look, the dead have been eaten,Id worry, that disturbing her further, may force her to reject remaining kitts

reject remaining kitts

Does this happen often?

I have to be honest and say that over the years we have only had a handful of litters due to good planning :laugh: but the litters we have had, have always interacted with us from a very early stage. We will initially check the litter, then leave well alone for a week or more. Our last litter were sucking on meat before their eyes were open :yes:

We will be having a litter this year, and I can not wait :D

Our Jill is eating a back leg of rabbit everyday now, bone and all.

John

Ey up.

Well after my post about how excited I was about this litter, it has all taken a turn for the worse.

The total born was 7 and as I have said here 2 had died ,hence the question.

After another chance to check how she was dealing with it I have found that only 2 kits have survived today. She has cleared up all the rest on her own.

To say I am gutted is a bit of an understatement but with a bit of luck ,these two may survive.

I know this is just the luck of the draw but it still smarts.

This was the first litter for this jill so If she rears the last 2 succesfully then I will have a go at trying for another litter towards the end of the summer.

Anyway,,keep your fingers crossed for me as I would love a kit from this pairing as they are both superb ferrets.

Buggers :(

sorry to hear about the kits, but I myself wouldnt go ahead and be breeding again the same year from the same jill even if she dose rear the other two, thats just starting over breeding, leave her till nxt year atleast pal give her a rest from breeding!!!

Aye its a shame when this happens but a jills first litter should be looked on as a learning curve rest your jill and if shes a good worker this winter try to breed from her next year

Cheers for the replies blokes.

Will see how it goes.

She is a great worker and my issue is that the hob is to be snipped this year.

If I think it would be too much for her I would not even think about it,,the ferret comes first.

If I dont breed from her again,then thats just the breaks.

If someone I knows Hob turns out to be a good worker then I will wait and bring that strain in next year

Cheers again