breeding from a none worker

Guest fence_hopper

daveo if you breed of game dogs who have had several generaitions of workers they take little coaxing more holding back were if you breed of shit they havent got the minerals to go the distance ,thats what breeding is about and good dog manship ,

whin amen to that mate hit the nail on the head there :yes:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

NO I rehomed a wonderful looking whippet to a pet home, it wouldnt chase and frankly saw more get up and go in a toy poodle, i wasnt the only one with a non worker from the litter so i couldnt put it

[ the thread says ..breeding from working dogs .... are track greyhounds classed as working dogs?

you say ..do coursing dogs hunt in the traditional sence .....well depends how they are bred ,and if the owner gives them the oppertunaty the instinct to kill is there !! and the instinct to chase is there ,as it is in all sighthounds .some have stronger instinct than others !

Well define a working dog, Collies round up sheep thats their job greyhounds run round a track thats NOW their job.

I ment hunting as in hunting up cover not just chasing

This is purely hypothetical but If you had two pups out of the same litter,

one was worked and tested to the full and had no faults the other never even saw a rabbit.

Would you breed off the untried dog?

in my opinion i would never put a worker to a non worker

Edited by Gamble

The only non worker id put to one of my workers would be a greyhound but a decent one not just any old greyhound with balls or a uterus, one that either does abit in the field or was a good stamp of a racer, i've never come across a greyhound yet that wasn't game as hell! Why would you want to breed from a non working lurcher anyway?? Surely if you work your dogs you would want to breed pups with a high chance of being good workers, so breeding from dogs you are happy with in the field gives you more of a chance with the pups.

IMHO with the amount of lurchers about nowadays i cannot see the point in breeding out of ex raceing bitches as i have found lurcher to lurcher bred dogs outshine first and 3 quarter bred dogs most of the time.atb dell

Twice I have used non working dogs over my bitches, but they DID come from working lines. The first time I tried to use the working dog in a litter, her wasn't interested in my bitch so I took her to his non, almost non, working brother, though to be fair the dog had been ferreting a few times but was never got properly fit for anything more demanding.

Tht litter produced some good workers and the bitch I kept back turned out to be one of the very best lurchers I have ever owned: hard as nails and a catch rate which beat all my other dogs hands down: talking rabbits and foxes here. Her own daughter wasn't far off the mark either.

More recently I used a non working brother to one of my bitches over another bitch: went cousin to cousin and the pups are just coming up to 2 years old and the two that I keep in touch with and my own are nailing everything and coming on very well. They were bred as all rounders.

So I think that being a non worker shouldn't mean that a dog is no good and if you know the line very well, its weaknesses as well as its strengths, then its worth the risk.

Agree totally with that chalkwarren, there's non workers and then there's those that have been denied the opportunity.

A hypothetical situation, two workers bred together produce six pups two dogs four bitches, one of the dogs goes to a lightly used pet home, the other five are everything required in a lurcher and prove themselves several times over. Comes time to continue the line and the dog that is worked is killed or incapable of mating then I would personally use the unworked brother.

There we go, the flip side of the coin in the above few posts.

They are fair points, well put.

I think its fair to summerise that Some would some would'nt!!!

My thoughts are ideally we should breed off sound, well proven dogs/bitches but if thats not possible it can be acceptable and a reasonable gamble to breed off a well proven blood line.

Thanks for everyone input its been interesting seeing into the thought train of people on here

you can never tell adog unless he is worked im afraid no matter what he has been bred off ,some dogs ooze class without much work its the kind of stamp they are had afew like that , but in general only tried and tested as they can look good with afew runs , but you cant tell until afew seasons whats realy in there tank ,and some dogs thrwo over there self and some liter brothers dont , so the only real way is to test them easy as , flaws dont come out in dogs till there tested same as good pionts,

you can never tell adog unless he is worked im afraid no matter what he has been bred off ,some dogs ooze class without much work its the kind of stamp they are had afew like that , but in general only tried and tested as they can look good with afew runs , but you cant tell until afew seasons whats realy in there tank ,and some dogs thrwo over there self and some liter brothers dont , so the only real way is to test them easy as , flaws dont come out in dogs till there tested same as good pionts,

if a dog is going to throw he will throw.Working dosent purify his balls or anything.There are so many working lurchers about that i cant see the point in using one that isnt

re.greyhounds ,maybe they were injured badly as pups/saplings.in australia the hall of fame bitch "highly blessed"threw f.all but her shite sister wee sal threw champions as did her daughter.

only god knows in the end of the day-a lot of luck involved with any litter

diffrent ball game greyhounds are bred for speed working lurchers lots of qualities at times that only shine if tested ,and run hard at times , saw some dogs look good out once a week then take them more they look not so good then had others 3 or 4 nites a week and there still game ,i dont see the piont of breeding non tested dogs when there good dogs about if you no people etc

my opinion is that you can breed of none workers and be lucky but as whin pointed out, if you breed of game dogs who have had several generaitions of workers they take little coaxing more holding back were if you breed of shit they havent got the minerals to go the distance ,thats what breeding is about and good dog manship ,SUMS IT UP FOR ME,90%of working dogs bred from none workers havent got it upstaires abit like a bungalow lol but that dont stop them looking the part or makeing average lurchers and we dont want average we want top class so why not breed for it why back track on things and take a gamble [A VERY BIG GAMBLE].