ferret cages

:thumbs: hi all, looking at getting a ferret in about a month. I dont fancy paying out 70 pound+ for a cage/court so I thought it might be an idea to make my own simple one to hold 2 feretts at the most. I was wondering if people could post pictures of home made ones up to give me some ideas. Would a large old or new rabbit cage be an idea to use and just add plattforms myself. I will also proberly keep the cage in a shed would this be ok.

Rabbit hutch should be fine but would be handy to extend it so they had a decent size run aswel mate.

keeping it indoors in a shed is ok, keeps them out of bad weather however make sure it has windows/door open in daytime, dont leave them in total darkness.

Handle them as much as poss mate, i can let my ferrets roam free in garden whilst washing cars etc and they dont go far, just gota get them tame and theyl be fine.

Hope this helps :thumbs:

Rabbit hutch should be fine but would be handy to extend it so they had a decent size run aswel mate.

keeping it indoors in a shed is ok, keeps them out of bad weather however make sure it has windows/door open in daytime, dont leave them in total darkness.

Handle them as much as poss mate, i can let my ferrets roam free in garden whilst washing cars etc and they dont go far, just gota get them tame and theyl be fine.

Hope this helps :thumbs:

thanks very helpful.

i aint dissing anything mate, but ul proberly find by the time u have brought all the wood, mesh, felt, hinges and whatever els u need ur proberly looking at a good 100quid for a decent size one with run if u cant get things free or near as free lol ... have a look round and see what u can get and stuff, altho nothing needs to be fancy. mine started off in a converted dog kennle i put a door on and cut an hole in side and meshed lol ... still use it now when they all need seperateing lol.

i aint dissing anything mate, but ul proberly find by the time u have brought all the wood, mesh, felt, hinges and whatever els u need ur proberly looking at a good 100quid for a decent size one with run

You can say that again!! I had to put a second floor in my ferret hutch. Two packs of pine floor boards & screws cost me £50 at B&Q.

John

if you look at my hobs hutch on my other post mate, thats home made. heavy as f**k though, but will last a lifetime. (it takes two to even think about picking it up).

12mm ply and scraps of wood from work.

didnt cost me a penny :thumbs: