Which are you?

All my dogs will always be for life. As for good dog men that pass a dog on as a pet, well thats just they can't make a good dog out of it in most circumstances. I don't know what some people expect out of a dog. Most dogs will make good workers, very few fail through fault of their own...fact.

some dont make the grade though no matter how good the trainer..

its rare but does happen and in that case then they should never be passed onto working homes only pet or pts!

• Like 1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

theres a 3rd type and this is the rarest type of all...... the lurcherman that culls dogs that dont make the grade and starts a fresh with another, the higher his standards the more he will go through

Tbh I think your wrong. Imo theres the proper lurcher man who will not hesitate in getting rid the poor lurchers but will keep the good ones. He will go out and try to get good numbers, not for baggin

some dont make the grade though no matter how good the trainer.. its rare but does happen and in that case then they should never be passed onto working homes only pet or pts!

Guest stewie

All my dogs will always be for life. As for good dog men that pass a dog on as a pet, well thats just they can't make a good dog out of it in most circumstances. I don't know what some people expect out of a dog. Most dogs will make good workers, very few fail through fault of their own...fact.

well said mate thats spot on just a shame people look to the idiots who dont no any better!!

if the dog works then its with me for life

Same as that! Even if the dog only does rabbits. My latest dog is a proper scardy cat on anything that bites back, but at 13 months he,s dynamite on rabbits and good on big rabbits, enough for me and he is here till he meets his maker!! (3/4 whippet 1/8 greyhound 1/8 collie).

hmmm what an interesting thread, good to have one to make you think for a bit, just be warned some get to snappy and bitchy but i hope this one doesn't turn sour,,

i think your correct in what your saying as i'm sure we've all experienced these BUT i think they sort of blend and each circumstance is different from an other,,,, you could buy a pup from the best known working stock, seen the parents work etc really do your homework, introduce said pup to your household, bond with the pup, feed him up, get him all nice and fit but if its not in the dog to work then no amount of money time or anything else is going to change that. either you give him to a friend as a pet dog, cull the dog - which i think is perfectly the correct thing to do though in all honestly i couldn't personally do it to my dogs, or sell them on - which is the big question, do i give the dog free to good home where he may just be sold on for profit, or put a price tag on him to help secure the dogs future. i have never sold a dog but if i had no choice i would put a price tag on the dog simply because people respect a dog that they've paid for,, we all have our own veiws but i can understand some others even if i wouldn't/couldn't do it myself.

we have two elderly dogs in our kennels happily retired who will stay the rest of their days here as will every other dog that works well, its only fair

happy hunting lurcher lass xxx good thread though

never bred a useless lurcher some better than others for sure if a dog doesnt suit my needs i give it to a less taxing home or pet home or p t s,im surounded by land and well if it cant catch what is the piont of feeding a bad dog when you can have a good dog,ps going gang handed is no good for hunting snerping to much niose,at times,and dogs play of on each other, dont like ass enders , hard mouthed as hell , no matter what they catch ,if you cant eat, it barter , i dont see the piont of having it mate ,a good dog in someones eyes maybe bad in some one elses good question etc

i dont need a world beater but i want a game tryer..

well said that mate ,as long as they try there best when out ,as they only get better with age and the right managment and a lot of patiance which some people havnt got .i picked a young bitch up at 6 months old and she is now 18 months ,when i first got her out in the field at 11 months old she wouldnt run a rabbit or leave my side or get out of the van even . a few took the piss but i laughed it off and said she,ll come good when she,s ready .she progressed slowly to running rabbit daytime and then onto the lamp ,she would run a rabbit on the lamp but not a hare proberbly looked to big for her at night but she soon passed that stage too ,now she is flying at everything and putting 100% in including marking fox to ground and has marked me 9 reds this year to ground for the terriers .its been a long slog but we got there and can,t wait till next season to give her a good testing season which i know now is going to be a good one by the standards she,s running at now .in her early days when the piss takers were out i heard remarks like that dog wouldnt of left the field if it was mine blah blah ,now the same lads are telling me ive got something special and are calling there dogs on the way home in one way or another saying how there not to pleased with this or that ,but im well pleased with mine ,she runs day time with terriers ,she finds ,she lamps well and she is 100%rock steady round sheep and she jumps ok not the best but she,s coming good in that department to .ive put a lot of time and effort into her this year and have been rewarded greatly i think and thats all i can ask for ,next season will be her year as now she lives and breathes to run and work and has given me a great deal of satisfaction .there,s to many people out there who buy a dog ,dont train it properly and expect it to be a world beater .then when its not its on the for sale section people like that in my book should give up dogs and do something else for sometimes they couldnt have had a better dog but they just dont see it ,so for me its been a tiring season working my terriers and starting my lurcher off ,out lamping to all hours and then up early for work and me included need a good summer time rest and the dogs will get one to .then next season we all start again .....just give em plenty of time and training and most of em will come good in the end if they dont you cant say you never tried :toast:

if the dog doesnt make the grade why keep it its no good but people always say you can never get two dogs the same which is a shame because ive got a my little dog and hes with me for life and would pay good money to get another lyk him but i no i wont but you can always try by getting other dogs in and see if they make the grade but it always doesnt work out atb Top Lamper

well said that mate ,as long as they try there best when out ,as they only get better with age and the right managment and a lot of patiance which some people havnt got .i picked a young bitch up at 6 months old and she is now 18 months ,when i first got her out in the field at 11 months old she wouldnt run a rabbit or leave my side or get out of the van even . a few took the piss but i laughed it off and said she,ll come good when she,s ready .she progressed slowly to running rabbit daytime and then onto the lamp ,she would run a rabbit on the lamp but not a hare proberbly looked to big for her at night but she soon passed that stage too ,now she is flying at everything and putting 100% in including marking fox to ground and has marked me 9 reds this year to ground for the terriers .its been a long slog but we got there and can,t wait till next season to give her a good testing season which i know now is going to be a good one by the standards she,s running at now .in her early days when the piss takers were out i heard remarks like that dog wouldnt of left the field if it was mine blah blah ,now the same lads are telling me ive got something special and are calling there dogs on the way home in one way or another saying how there not to pleased with this or that ,but im well pleased with mine ,she runs day time with terriers ,she finds ,she lamps well and she is 100%rock steady round sheep and she jumps ok not the best but she,s coming good in that department to .ive put a lot of time and effort into her this year and have been rewarded greatly i think and thats all i can ask for ,next season will be her year as now she lives and breathes to run and work and has given me a great deal of satisfaction .there,s to many people out there who buy a dog ,dont train it properly and expect it to be a world beater .then when its not its on the for sale section people like that in my book should give up dogs and do something else for sometimes they couldnt have had a better dog but they just dont see it ,so for me its been a tiring season working my terriers and starting my lurcher off ,out lamping to all hours and then up early for work and me included need a good summer time rest and the dogs will get one to .then next season we all start again .....just give em plenty of time and training and most of em will come good in the end if they dont you cant say you never tried toast.gif

Hat's off to ya bud, proper dog man,,

Guest stewie

well said that mate ,as long as they try there best when out ,as they only get better with age and the right managment and a lot of patiance which some people havnt got .i picked a young bitch up at 6 months old and she is now 18 months ,when i first got her out in the field at 11 months old she wouldnt run a rabbit or leave my side or get out of the van even . a few took the piss but i laughed it off and said she,ll come good when she,s ready .she progressed slowly to running rabbit daytime and then onto the lamp ,she would run a rabbit on the lamp but not a hare proberbly looked to big for her at night but she soon passed that stage too ,now she is flying at everything and putting 100% in including marking fox to ground and has marked me 9 reds this year to ground for the terriers .its been a long slog but we got there and can,t wait till next season to give her a good testing season which i know now is going to be a good one by the standards she,s running at now .in her early days when the piss takers were out i heard remarks like that dog wouldnt of left the field if it was mine blah blah ,now the same lads are telling me ive got something special and are calling there dogs on the way home in one way or another saying how there not to pleased with this or that ,but im well pleased with mine ,she runs day time with terriers ,she finds ,she lamps well and she is 100%rock steady round sheep and she jumps ok not the best but she,s coming good in that department to .ive put a lot of time and effort into her this year and have been rewarded greatly i think and thats all i can ask for ,next season will be her year as now she lives and breathes to run and work and has given me a great deal of satisfaction .there,s to many people out there who buy a dog ,dont train it properly and expect it to be a world beater .then when its not its on the for sale section people like that in my book should give up dogs and do something else for sometimes they couldnt have had a better dog but they just dont see it ,so for me its been a tiring season working my terriers and starting my lurcher off ,out lamping to all hours and then up early for work and me included need a good summer time rest and the dogs will get one to .then next season we all start again .....just give em plenty of time and training and most of em will come good in the end if they dont you cant say you never tried :toast:

excellent post wish more were like you mate :notworthy: :notworthy:

its how serious you take the game,and the time you have to work your dog or dogs.?If you are serious in your dog work, you will make the time, and you will try to only keep the best dogs that you need.? But if we are honest, we all want a dog who is at the top of his or her game, that can if need be get big bags and will tackle any quarry. And if you have had dogs like that, you do compare to what you have got.And as been said its just as cheap and time spending, with good'un and not so good'un.?? I know what i prefer,? So it think it come's back to how serious you take this game.?

No 2 ways about it..if a dog doesnt earn its keep or come up to scratch..its gone...some folk dont mind a shirker in their kennels...i certainley dont...its simple really..if it grafts to a certain standard ive set..it stays..if not ...its gone.....atb stabba

• Like 1

No 2 ways about it..if a dog doesnt earn its keep or come up to scratch..its gone...some folk dont mind a shirker in their kennels...i certainley dont...its simple really..if it grafts to a certain standard ive set..it stays..if not ...its gone.....atb stabba

spot on mate theres no point on holding on to dirt , the less dogs i have

the better sumthing thats no gud has to go .

i keep lurchers terriers and hounds and a ferret with limited space and plenty

of work they need to be 100%

atb artful

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: Thats the best post I've read on here bar none, well done mate, your a credit to the sport. A LOT of people on here; new to the sport and old, should take note of what you've said.