• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whatever anyone says or thinks of him his books are probally the most read hunting books ever imo.

Really? Good stories, but dont piss in the same puddle as some of the blokes who have actuall done the work

If you want to read decent quality books by a true terrier man then anything by David Harcombe is all you need

Top quality stuff :thumbs:

dont forget the most popular up and coming writer sean frain....his new book is out soon... how to get a girl by gun hawk ferret and dog.. his best yet.

aslong as its got the cartoons in it like the others it will surely be a hit haha

hi all, looking at getting a few of plummers books but reading reviews it seems that most people dis like him, why is this?, surely he was a great asset for working dogs and breeding the plummer terrier.

Wat books you after as i am thinking of having a clear out.

what books you got for sale mate.interested,terriers or lurchurs.

hi all, looking at getting a few of plummers books but reading reviews it seems that most people dis like him, why is this?, surely he was a great asset for working dogs and breeding the plummer terrier.

Wat books you after as i am thinking of having a clear out.

what books you got for sale mate.interested,terriers or lurchurs.

If you can think of any you are after i might have them i am of to work now get back to you later.atb dell

never9 knew the man and would not speak ill of the dead if i did but read a few of his books ,tales of a rat hunting man and omege enjoyed both great reads also heard nathan is a good book so looking out for a copy of that (anyone)  

Ive got a copy her mate Its yours for 10 notes :thumbs:

pm sent mate

payment sent mate :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that to mention Brian Plummer on this forum is a sure-fire way to bring out the worst in people.

I enjoy his books and have most of them, but I know some of the stories were exaggerated. Why even the same story appeared in different books occassionally.

I DO find it offensive that people who never met or new him feel entitled to insult him, especially when they are so young and have so little exeperience of the world, but then again he did rather court controversy and maybe he even enjoyed it.

I went to his place a few times in the late mid'90s and I found him a very engaging personality. His dogs were obedient and well cared for - I didn't see them work.

Just enjoy his books and don't worry what other people think of him. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have dogs today.

Think he got a lot of young guys into this sport by his books in the 70/80s

hmm.gif Do lads realy need to read books to light that fire,..

That deep seated passion,.. and primitive desire,.which burns within all genuine hunting men.... hmm.gif

clapper.gifclapper.gifthumbs.gif Definately not then some people think i have mental health issues as like a lot of genuine dog lads some are not the full ticketlaugh.gif

Plummers books were a good read when we were young; but if you want a good read by a hunting man, have a look at books by the New Zealand writer, Barry Crump. His "A good Keen Man" is a classic; all about hunting in the bush in the 50's and 60's, for the N.Z. government.

Cheers.

I enjoyed his books when I was younger, it's only as I get older (and possibly wiser) :icon_redface: that I can pick holes in some of the stuff he said.

However ...

"The Fell Terrier" is his finest hour. He interviewed terrier men who simply are not around today.

A seminal piece of work.

I enjoyed his books when I was younger, it's only as I get older (and possibly wiser) :icon_redface: that I can pick holes in some of the stuff he said.

However ...

"The Fell Terrier" is his finest hour. He interviewed terrier men who simply are not around today.

A seminal piece of work.

He came to Newcastle, (Lemington area), to talk to lads about their miniature Jack Russels, and possibly buy some; after about 15 minutes of his B.S., they laughed him out of the bar !! This was about 30 years go, they still laugh about it now !

Cheers.

Think he got a lot of young guys into this sport by his books in the 70/80s

:hmm: Do lads realy need to read books to light that fire,..

That deep seated passion,.. and primitive desire,.which burns within all genuine hunting men.... :hmm:

they shouldny be needed to light the fire. but they will fuel the fire once lit :yes: