what is best food to feed ferrets

Think twice about feeding fruit, mates. Being obligate carnivores ferrets are equipped to handle diets with a very, very low carbohydrate content. Excess carbs and suagars in their diet has been linked to a certain type of cancer they can develop in their pancreas. Nor are they capable of actually digesting plant matter [unless the cell walls have already been broken down and partially digested in the gut of a prey animal] so they can not acess any beneficial nutrients in fruits or vegetables anyway.

Basically fruits and vegetables are a food which are more or less completely useless to the ferret in terms of nutrition, but which, if fed too much, may give them cancer. No thanks. :whistling:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

started an interesting topic there crocket,interesting to see how others feed their ferrets.

Vitalin ferret & dr johns ferret kibble with fresh water 24/7..

also fresh meat every night, pigeon, rabbit, chicks, pheasant, chicken wings, also offal from butchers, raw egg one a week, lactose free milk couple of times a week.

I buy a big bag of no frills chicken portions from the supermarkets. It's about 3 quid a pop and it last me about 10 days with my 4, plus they get rabbit, crow whatever when I've got them.

i feed mine rabbit squirrel pigeon pheasant chicken corvids anything fur and feather except rats, wouldn't dream of feeding mine that dry crap either.

Same as, also raw eggs every now and then. Ox liver once or twice a month when not any fresh carcases available.

hi was just wondering what is best to feed my ferrets i do feed them chicken wings and pork liver :whistling:

cheers

A BARF diet is best for them & some dry biscuit (Vitalin I use) lambs liver & they love lambs heart & beef heart, chicken wings but I find they go off chickens wings sometimes with recent & past ferts, baby chicks I have given them baby mice aswell before.

You should never give them any part of a pig as this is poisonous to them.