Yesterday afternoon .

The sun shone here for the first time in ages so i finished work early ,grabbed the gear and went to a place that id seen plenty of does previosly .The ground borders an old railway line and a main road,the wind was wrong for a straight approach so i went aroud the old track to come in downwind.As i walked along the track ,glassing the land ,i saw a brace of does out feeding ,two fields in, and made a note of their wherabouts .Climbed the gate at the top end as its locked and just caught the back of a fox runing through a gateway into the next field .Nothing else here so onwards .

This is the place that a neighbour had the police out to me about the sametime last year so i thought it only right to ring him and let him know i was here .He was a changed man since our last encounter as he told me of 4 deer lead in a hedge near his property !

Stalked towads the area and on glassing through a gateway ,i saw that fox again ,skulking along a hedgerowaway from me .I got down on the 'pod and squeaked to which he span round and trotted towards me .Annoyingly ,he sat up a good way off ,forcing a long shot :victory: and down he went on the spot .Distance about 160 id say .Pleased with that as they are very shy here at night now .

At the shot ,two does came bouncing through a hedge to my right ,almost certainly the same two id seen previously .Doe and follower .Unbelievably ,from the left came 4 more deer ,a doe and 3 followers and yes they are all hers as i saw them at heel last summer .Both groups stared at each other for a long time before the pair ,lead by the doe walked in my direction which made it an easier choice for me. Waited till they were well within 100 yards and took the follower.The doe ran out in the field a bit and i took her too ,both chest shots .The string of 4 bounced away single file into the next field.After gralloching the youngster i had just opened up the doe when i saw something not quite right .Liver near the anus! Completing the cut up to the breast bone revealed a huge tumour which encompassed both the liver and kidneys.

It was maybe 8 inches round ,solid with nobules on the exposed red offal :sick: .

The glands in the intestine were fine so i opened up the neck for a look there .They were fine too.Overall body weight was good and the tumour came away intact.Carried on the galloch as normal.

Picture019-2.jpg

Shot from the gate to the left of the tree

Picture020-1.jpg

Picture021-1.jpg

Picture022-1.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture025-2.jpg

Picture026-2.jpg

The lungs were a bit pale .I intend to get the whole lot checked out before allowing this into the food chain !

• Like 1

Have to agree with you .The offal, red and green are to be examined by a vet Monday but the carcass has been incinerated.Dont want too many of them .

FD, does your local council have an incinerator that you can use, or do you have to make other arrangements?

I only ask as our council do not have a carcass disposal system in place and the Croome Hunt one no longer works, or so I am told by a guy on the supporters comittee.

Touch wood, I have not had to have one incinerated yet.

ft

That sure was a lump mate,I wish I had been there to see it in the flesh(so to speak)I would of been very interested in the make up of the tumour/growth,was she scouring at all?

I'll see you in the week anyway mate...speak soon...Martin