yapping

i was always told when you work or start them to yougn this would happen and once it start it dont stop. That just what ive been told .

i had also been told that but i now think some dogs just do it anyway like parkstone whippets said it can just be over excitement which sometimes can calm down but ive started loads young and the only dog to be vocal is the one and only i started later.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMO, whether it's something that's curable depends on why it's doing it in the first place. My beddy whippet often yaps like hell on the first course of the night, more so if we haven't been out for a while. After that he's silent for the rest of the session. I think he does it out of excitement more than anything, but if the dog's doing it out of frustration I think you've got problems.. :yes:

Edited by maltenby

You could try a bark spray collar, not sure how effective it will be when the dogs blood is up though. :hmm:

Perhaps this might stop the do chasing all together?

Y.I.S Leeview

It would be a concern, but if it was my dog and i had brought it on from a pup, it would be worth a try before contemplating rehoming as a pet, especially after all the time and effort that goes into a pup. :thumbs:

once a whippet 9or any dog for that matter) starts to open up its normaly perminant, of ten caused by early entering/being over matched to young but some just open up due to the excitment of what they are doing.

this is a weird one for me as well as im having troublew ith him pining whilst on the walk he starts of quite but gets worst it not to do with his fitness because ive gradly brought him up to this point to be able to walk all day. this is my only dog that ive started older as i usely get them out as soon as they can keep up. and its weird that hes the only one to give tongue. just like hes not as game as me other dogs. the only thing i can guess is i started him off to late as his brother who was started young is fine. so much for starting dogs later

Ok mate if he's whinning whilst just walking the chances are hes anticipating the run.

you can try taking him out but keep him on the lead lamp a rabbit and as soon as he opens up when it runs turn the light off and turn and walk away, it might get into his head that every rabbit isnt a run ect, might take several trips but might work definatly worth a try rather than give up on it.

but once vocal whippets can be a pain to get out of it.

from the few lads that have had dogs opening up,that iv seen,all i can say is once a yapper,always a yapper,anti-bark collars and such like prob wont work,it will assosiate it with running the bunny and prob stop dead in its tracks,either put up with it or re-home mate jmo,even if it dont yap on the easy runs it prob start again as soon as its put under a bit of pressure or as it starts to get tired,for me it be down the road as a pet,end of :thumbs:

my whippet has recently started yapping while chasing the rabbits. he used to make the odd noise while in chase but last night thought a fox had hold of him but he came flying round the corner after a rabbit. does anyone know how to stop this.

The only method I know is rather final.

Afraid thats a very honest and truthful answer, never known anyone able to stop it once they have started.

Y.I.S Leeview

You do now thumbs.gif ,, you need kills kills and more kills,, doesnt mater how,, just get em,, and if that doesnt, shut it up, then get rid,,, i had a two year old yapper,, got entered to young, wasnt fit either,, dog was frustated so opened up,,, let the dog come to age, get it FIT and get it on some easy gear get it the kills,, it can be done just takes time and effort,, easy to give in on the dog,, but it aint the dog fault,, it the owners entered it wrong.

Whippets can be prone to yapping ,, how old is the dog ?

Edited by merle24

adam20 same here my little collie whippet has yapped a few times in woodland whilst tracking bambis but thats it not while chasing anything in open. since she was young used take her out mooching with my mate in woodlands alot, with a jrt that opens up big time while chasing not sure if she copied her.

my 15 moth old beddy whip yaps every now and then, used to yap alot more. tends to be on runs where the rabbits got a good lead on it. she is out at least once a week all day and catch's plenty of rabbits. i only go on permission, so should i get rid of mine or just work on it? all it is, is excitment. i think too many lads get rid of dogs before putting the work in!!

adam20 same here my little collie whippet has yapped a few times in woodland whilst tracking bambis but thats it not while chasing anything in open. since she was young used take her out mooching with my mate in woodlands alot, with a jrt that opens up big time while chasing not sure if she copied her.

might be the type. mine is beddy whippet collie grey. she onlyh 21 half/ 22 tts. whats yours?

post-31664-126652192973_thumb.jpg

post-31664-126652194173_thumb.jpg

Does it matter?

if you like the dog just work him anyway and if your hunting is legal why get yourself tied up in knots about it.

i worked a terrier as a bushing dog for the gun and lurchers and she yapped like a b*****d but we knew what was coming and where it would break cover.

who knows it might even stop with enough work and a few of the tips given here.

Good luck with it and try not to get to stressed the dog wil be picking up on that as well

Does it matter?

if you like the dog just work him anyway and if your hunting is legal why get yourself tied up in knots about it.

i worked a terrier as a bushing dog for the gun and lurchers and she yapped like a b*****d but we knew what was coming and where it would break cover.

who knows it might even stop with enough work and a few of the tips given here.

Good luck with it and try not to get to stressed the dog wil be picking up on that as well

i would expect a terrier,and mine does,to give plenty tongue when in cover and on her quary :thumbs:

my whippet has recently started yapping while chasing the rabbits. he used to make the odd noise while in chase but last night thought a fox had hold of him but he came flying round the corner after a rabbit. does anyone know how to stop this.

hi mate try to get a good few baggys under her, she sounds like she is getting frustrated. regard gary.