Boars in Oz

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(I'll just make the point again that we don't stand around taking photos of dogs on pigs. The photos are the best of hundreds that are shot on the run in to grab the pig. To stand around risks injury

The APDHA (Australian Pig Doggers and Hunters Association) had its annual general meeting withiun striking range of my place at the weekend and one of my mates (Steve) from had driven 14 hours to the

I'd only have one dog that big. Most of mine are around 3o kgs. As for getting them upset...be almost impossible mate. The whole concept of pig dogs is to have them determined but manageable. You can'

Posted Images

There are a lot of pigs around here at the moment. There have been a couple of very wet years and the pigs have been able to rear more of their young each year so nmbers have grown exponentially. However, while I will pest control as many pigs as I can for a landholder, in terms of hunting I am onlyreally interested in patterning and then catching the big boars. There are always boars around but the big ones, the old ones or the ones with the big teeth get that way by being smarter and quicker to react than the rest. It's those onse I love to catch. Sometimes it takes me weeks to work one out. One particular boar I have been working on for more than a year. He has been seen twice in that time, once by me and once by the landholder as the boar pulled down and killed a healthy ewe. This boar is no joke, he is very big, very smart and knows is trade. He is the one I am ultimately looking for on this block...

Cheers.

• Like 1

Was that the big boar you missed about this time last year? Ran off and left its mate to face Mary? I can remember you saying it could take up to 2 years to see it again.

PS Did you ever get to catch that wild dog?, I think it was at about the same time.

I know what you mean Les. There are lots of good looking dogs over here but I gotpast looks along time ago. All I care about is how they work. Otherwise to me it's like picking soldiers on how handsome they are. Once we are in the field the one that finds and stops the boar ends up being good looking to me. A bloke could certainly breed some magificent looking dogs from the workers that areabout over here though that's for sure...

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in a riverine environment so I grabbed a few other pix to give you an idea of the country...

A billabong left over from the summer flooding...

p8260789.jpg

A big coolibah tree on the river's edge.

p8260780.jpg

Emu feathers caught on the barb. They can run but they are not good at steering...

p8260793.jpg

Black cattle on a black soil road on a black night are a significant hazard. People don't wait for the council to put up a sign...

p8260791.jpg

Incidently, several UK backpacker/workers in the area. Most are great blokes and putting money in the bank. The country is where son Paul lives and works about three or four hours west of me. Very small community but big properties. Paul is on 90,000 acres...

Cheers.