whats best foxing lurcher mix

wheaton x seems to be the weapon of choice, i'm going to have a good look about in the next few weeks,to see the potential parents work, have a look at a few if possible, i dont mind waiting, my terrier is only 6months, so have a while before i need to worry,

just keep the foxes at bay with the .222 until i get sorted, really dont wanted landed with crap.

some fine advice :clapper: and some interesting sounding animals :whistling:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fence_hopper

bullx

Yep bullxs, if you only get a few foxes maybe one a week, most lurcherxs will do that.But if alot more the right type bullx ,will do a better job [ie.. handle's more pain]and more powerful jaw.

no better than a well bred wheaten x

collie whippet grey or a hancock dog, dont care what any of you say ive sen them work and they were shit hot tore them apart, the whippet x was the better dog though fox didnt even last 2 mins she tore right through it savage little bitch she lived in his house with the wife and kids soft as anything till you got her on the lamp.

my mate had an irish bred wheaton x that was more of a dog fighter than fox killer even saw it take on a st bernard lol it had a bull x at a show at the black bull inn on the a66 n county durham hard little thing that dog :)

ive got a beddy whippet collie grey. she exactly like that. stays in the house, lovley nature, timid around the doors but once out in the field she game for any thing. mint at turning on rabbits and loads of stamina. she only 17 month.

dont believe i've seen more than 1 or 2 wheatons over here

if your ground is anything like mine then you'll need something with a top gear!! i like 3/4grey in the mix... i prefer terrier blood as alot of them are fairly reliable when taking foxes and they are not all necessarily hard mouthed when it comes to catching rabbits and such... with 3/4 greyhound blood you will probably get use out of him with hares and stuff if foxes arent his thing.. jmo

go for a wheaton cross mate.

in my eyes they are excellent fox dogs and good for bunnys too ;)

I will second that i swear by wheatons one the best type of lurchers about for all types of quarry. Only problem i ever had was i had to keep some of them in their own pen at night because they would fight over food apart from that defenly the best all round lurcher

Edited by the dealer

do yourself a favour...ignore all the oppinions on here...get yourself out with a few irish guys and watch their dogs work...when you see a few different crosses work then you will make up your mind...theres no rush and 4 mts looking about will seem nothing compared to the right dog for the next 15 yrs...

i have been told that i should get myself a lurcher pup to have it working at the same time as my terrier, what is the best mix, mainly for foxes and some rabbits, advise please

if thats all you want it for,3/4whippet/bull ideal bred from the right stuff atb BB