how do you get your dogs fit

Iv been walking for hours every night running everything i can put in front of her from about 6pm to 9-9:30 every night and iv been road walking for 2 hours every morning before school. She is nice and fit but she is nowhere near as fit as most of the dogs on here. How do you get them that fit? Mine is out for around 5-6 hours a day 7 days a week even if its raining and you can deffinatly see the difference but she still looks like she has hardly left the kennel all year compared to most :11: And what do you all feed your dogs?

Thanks in advance

Good hunting

David

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The correct diet is just as important as plenty of excercise I.M.O. also a dog needs plenty of rest to restore it's energy levels as running the dog when still tired will do it no favours in the long run .When you say she is not looking as fit as the dog's on here what excatly do you mean ? I take it you mean muscular and lean looking ? The diet she is on will have a big part to play with this ..........what diet is your dog on ?

Thanks, she is on breeders pack working dog complete and cooked pet mince. My dad always cooks it even tho i keep telling him its fine raw :blink: She was on a raceing greyhound food but i changed to this one and it doesnt seem and worst. What should i be feeding her to get the best out of her? I want to do the best i can for her. Is tripe better? And if it is what else should i feed with it to give her a balanced diet?

Thanks again

David

no tripe is not better than mince , but it is good when mixed there are some vitamins in trip that arnt in mince and vice versa.

lamb is one of the best raw foods mate its got plenty fat on it which they need

as for exercise she is doing enough. all you need now is lamping as much as pos or daytime coursing 2-3 times aweek . just take it easy at first.

as for comming out with somone you can come out with us one night soon . but we only go out in the week not weekends, but we will be back by 4 am dont know if youl get up for scool :D

I once heard a guy say rest is as good as training when getting the dog fit..............they need both!!

I feed my dog Autarky puppy....he isn't a big eater and can not get alot down him so it helps as its high in all the things he needs plus i mix in a little skinners working dog crunch this has all the oils etc he needs and i have to feed him twice a day

i know some will say thats an expensive way but i found thats what he does best on and hes does look good on it!! and how do you put a p[rice on your dogs health

Autarky is a complete food with nothing artificial.....he never has the shits and seems to be pretty healthy!!

Also some dogs just don't get muscley......and this means they have less weight to carry and turn......don't worry about what she looks like.......if she can cope with all the running you give her and still catch all night then shes fit!!

Guest oldskool

dont run your dog seven days a week mate. a days lying around is very important, it will also make the dog a bit keener after his day off. when the dog is performing at its best its important to lay off a bit because he will be at his peak and will hold it for a week or so before going stale the aim is to keep him on the boil. if he does go stale he will be a bit lathargic and short of breath. about 2 days lying about will bring him back again... i dont want to be writing this with a know all expert attitude :) ... but i remember when i was young i ran a dog to his peak (i never knew what peak meant at that time) and when he went stale i trained him harder with the belief that he wasnt fit enough. it wasnt until a greyhound lad told me to lay off the training that i learnt the difference.

dont run your dog seven days a week mate. a days lying around is very important, it will also make the dog a bit keener after his day off. when the dog is performing at its best its important to lay off a bit because he will be at his peak and will hold it for a week or so before going stale the aim is to keep him on the boil. if he does go stale he will be a bit lathargic and short of breath. about 2 days lying about will bring him back again... i dont want to be writing this with a know all expert attitude :) ... but i remember when i was young i ran a dog to his peak (i never knew what peak meant at that time) and when he went stale i trained him harder with the belief that he wasnt fit enough. it wasnt until a greyhound lad told me to lay off the training that i learnt the difference.

well said oldschool and its the same for us humans :good:

Iv been walking for hours every night running everything i can put in front of her from about 6pm to 9-9:30 every night and iv been road walking for 2 hours every morning before school. She is nice and fit but she is nowhere near as fit as most of the dogs on here. How do you get them that fit? Mine is out for around 5-6 hours a day 7 days a week even if its raining and you can deffinatly see the difference but she still looks like she has hardly left the kennel all year compared to most :11: And what do you all feed your dogs?

Thanks in advance

Good hunting

David

HI Dave ,Before the ban I did a lot of coursing,of course I wouldnt dream of doing it now,one of the best ways to muscle up a dog is bike work,its twice as quick as walking and you canregulate your speed ,start off with 1 perhaps 2 miles at a gentle pace for the first week then gradually build it up increasing the pace as you go,keep an eye on the dogs pads for any soreness or wear,surgical spirit is good for hardening up the pads, depending on the breeding of your dog and how it is looking I used to build up to 6 miles aday at about 8 miles an hour but you can vary things my dogs used to get anhour and a halfs free running ,bushing for rabbits,then the bikebut I was on competitions ,for the average lamping ,rabbiting ,bushing lurcher ,2 or3 daysof the bike a week ,plus free running should do the trick ,but keep an eye on your dog,if it looks tired or in any way jaded ease off for a whileI ve found ordinary walking rather a waste of time and very time consumingcompared to the bike,you can do 6 miles in about 50 mins after a while.Hope this is a help ,Regards INan

I do alot of mountain biking with mine, not going up mountains :clapper: etc on the road and off road with him on the grass as well, about 3 -4 times a week at 5miles a time a couple nights a week walking with terriers off the lead then 1-2 time a week to take them out with tennis racket and ball, not playing tennis :clapper: getting them retrieving 50 times and that keeps them very fit.

Ps....the diet what i have got them on is redmills racer plus redmills excell 50/50 very good food ;):)

Edited by buster

Hi , tripe is perfectly good mate for your dog, there is every thing in it your dog needs, ive been feeding it for years , i know a very well known terrier man that sent some off to get it analyse and it came back that your dog could live a perfectly good working life eating tripe , i give them dog meal a couple of times a week,i dont get bad teeth in the dogs like some people think, ive been feeding this way now for nearly 3 decades with out any problems, the only thing with tripe is the smell and most women dont like it so you need a freezer just for that or your mam will go mad :laugh::laugh: as for getting your dog fit good food good exercise and good rest dont over do it with your dog as they need to rebuild there energy levels, go down to kennel gate and ask for powwow its a drink for them, i laughed at my misses then she brought some home , but it does work it rehydrates 7 times faster than water, its also good for when your dogs are knocked up , my misses work there and if you say my name you might get abit off.

chris

I do alot of mountain biking with mine, not going up mountains :clapper: etc on the road and off road with him on the grass as well, about 3 -4 times a week at 5miles a time a couple nights a week walking with terriers off the lead then 1-2 time a week to take them out with tennis racket and ball, not playing tennis :clapper: getting them retrieving 50 times and that keeps them very fit.

Ps....the diet what i have got them on is redmills racer plus redmills excell 50/50 very good food ;):)

:11: With that training regime ime surprised the dogs have enough energy left to work. ;)

:11: With that training regime ime surprised the dogs have enough energy left to work. ;)

one very fit dog :D

TOO MUCH TRAINING CAN LEAVE A DOG FEELING STALE

TRY AND EASE UP A BIT WITH THE WORK YOU ARE GIVING HIM

I AM SURE HES FIT BUT WHEN HES COME TO THE NIGHTS LAMPING

HES LEFT MOST OF HIS ENERGY WITH THE PREPERATION YOU HAVE GIVE HIM

ALSO YOU MUST PUT BACK IN WHAT YOU TAKE OUT

IE GOOD DIET /VITAMINS ECT ;)

TOO MUCH TRAINING CAN LEAVE A DOG FEELING STALE

TRY AND EASE UP A BIT WITH THE WORK YOU ARE GIVING HIM

I AM SURE HES FIT BUT WHEN HES COME TO THE NIGHTS LAMPING

HES LEFT MOST OF HIS ENERGY WITH THE PREPERATION YOU HAVE GIVE HIM

ALSO YOU MUST PUT BACK IN WHAT YOU TAKE OUT

IE GOOD DIET /VITAMINS ECT ;)

Redmills is one of the best foods in the country, most of the top greyhounds as well as whippets are fed this, and he gets plenty of vitimins as well, i have to do this to tired him out if i dont he chews his kennel to pieces, the dog is a bull x, when i do go lamping i steady off with him but he still has the stamina to keep going. :)