PROVEN DOGS?

There is a lot of shouting about breeding worker to worker,using proven dogs etc.

When is a dog or bitch "proven" to be deemed suitable to breed from?

What age? How much experience makes a dog? Lets hear your views.

Edited by stormyboy

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i have witnessed very young dogs ratting.....they have been thrown in the deep end and managed to get lucky on a huge chicken farm,the place gets bulldozed twice a year...take an untrained dog the first time, hundreds of rats, the dog tires easily but soon twigs as to what to do......second time around, the dogs were taken out to rest as they just couldnt get enough, battered to peices and exhausted...............my dog on the other hand....has had to suss a lot more out as weve been on hard mooches on pretty dry farm where we are out all day for a dozen rats.....training a dog is so much easier on a bumperday at the chicken farm than it is getting him to focus on getting his head down,sniffing,digging and chasing.........which dog is worth more ,??or is more "proven".....the one thats killed a hundred rats in two outings or one thats mooched 8 times for a dozen or so each time???

Thats exactly what i'm getting at. I know which would probably be the better HUNTER!

then theres those that would say ratting is no test of a dog. (Like its some kind of competition!)

What gives a dog the accolade of being proven?

everyone is different and so are terriers! most dogs will kill rats but it takes a different animal to stay underground in the pitch black for hours with something thats the same size!! steel its called!

would that be proven rabbit dog . proven ratter. proven earthdog. if earthdog. proven stayer/bolter. or killer.

and last but not least proven sire :D

proven is like the word game its open to individual interpretation,

my interpretation of proven. is a terrier that has served its apprenticeship at its chosen task for a few seasons and can do that job consistantly and well. :) good post :thumbs:

Thats exactly what i'm getting at. I know which would probably be the better HUNTER!

then theres those that would say ratting is no test of a dog. (Like its some kind of competition!)

What gives a dog the accolade of being proven?

everyone is different and so are terriers! most dogs will kill rats but it takes a different animal to stay underground in the pitch black for hours with something thats the same size!! steel its called!

main man you are spot on i had my black and tan on a fox for half an hour and i thought he was spot on only 3 foot down next time it took 2 and a half hours and six foot down to me a workinr g terrier is a digging terrier and not a ratting one atb mate mike.

would that be proven rabbit dog . proven ratter. proven earthdog. if earthdog. proven stayer/bolter. or killer.

and last but not least proven sire :D

proven is like the word game its open to individual interpretation,

my interpretation of proven. is a terrier that has served its apprenticeship at its chosen task for a few seasons and can do that job consistantly and well. :) good post :thumbs:

there is nothing further to add to this statement other than in my case ,lurcher not terrier, spot on mate end of :good:

Guest dee mac
After 3 digs and 5 minutes......then its pups from 100% worker!
tell you what wilf if your dogs were as smart as your mouth then you could actually be worth listening too but for a man with a dodgey chocolate drop you do some mouthing so take your head out of your ass because there actually a few decent men on this site who know what there talking about you tool look forward too your reply
tell you what wilf if your dogs were as smart as your mouth then you could actually be worth listening too but for a man with a dodgey chocolate drop you do some mouthing so take your head out of your ass because there actually a few decent men on this site who know what there talking about you tool look forward too your reply

:clapper::clapper::D

:clapper::clapper::D

You are bashing Wilf's mouth but you cannot imagine how many people advertising their pups as 'worker' after a mentioned 5 minutes long experience.

Disgusting.