lurchers

Wright because another thread is be slieghtly hijacked ive started this one,what age do folk on hear realy think it is good practice to (enter) a( pup),im not asking how to enter a pup start to finish but at what stage and age it gets its chance to course healthy rabbits either by day or night,comment as to why how etc.

6 TO 7 MONTHS FOR BITCHES BUT ONLY UNDER SUPERVISION , IE WHEN THE DOGS GOT GOOD CHANCE TO CATCH A RABB MY COLLI LINE ARE PRETTY GAME SO THEY WANT TO CATCH WHEN YOUNG THE SALUKS TAKE MAYBE 8 TO 9 MONTHS AND BY THERE A YEAR THEY NO WHAT THERE GAME IS ,EARLY ENTERING A DOG YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL AND NOT THINK ITS INDESTRUCTIBLE LOCALY THERE AFEW FEILDS WITH RABBIT NETTING IDEAL FOR PUPS ,WERE I HUNT BIG FEILDS NO RABBS MUCH SO YOU COULD SPIOL A PUP FLUSHING ROE HARES SO BE CAREFULL , ALL THE PUPS GET TO GO OUT WITH THE FERRETS AND LEARN TO WATCH WHATS GOING ON AS WHEN THEY ARE FECHED FOR FAST QAURY THEY CAN CATCH A BOLTING RABB AND STILL DO A JOB

ive had my pup out since she was 11 weeks , not working but out with older dogs ,when she was tired i would carry her, but she would struggle to go back down ,and run and play all way round on a 3 hour night out, when we caught stuff she was no way near it ,but when quarry was killed she was free to smell do what she want,she gets through gates ,cover ,she is never on lead ,she was passing through live stock learning at night what is ok to chase and what is not ...SHE WAS LEARNING ALL THE TIME, not waiting until she was older and having a scud missile on a slip , running 100mph at everything ,and often injurying her self, the reason i do this with pup is i did it the other way waiting till dog was certain age everything a lot slower and i lost a very promicing dog through running 100mph at everything ,i find this way i do now my dogs are a lot steadier, more senseible

ALWAYS HAD STEADY TYPES OF JUKELS as they see alot of game in there lifetime , some dogsif bred [bANNED TEXT] dont run about like headless chickens its all to do with dogmanship and breeding of the [bANNED TEXT] stock and entering and giving them there chance

My beddy/whippet pup came out with the ferrets and the terriers from about the age of 16 weeks, not worked as Deerman has said above, just out and about mooching, having a sniff here & there. I took him out with a mate & his air rifle on the lamp when he was about 7 months, where he caught his first runner.

Guest RAB.MCKAY
Wright because another thread is be slieghtly hijacked ive started this one,what age do folk on hear realy think it is good practice to (enter) a( pup),im not asking how to enter a pup start to finish but at what stage and age it gets its chance to course healthy rabbits either by day or night,comment as to why how etc.

by day about 10 months by night 14 months.

6 TO 7 MONTHS FOR BITCHES BUT ONLY UNDER SUPERVISION , IE WHEN THE DOGS GOT GOOD CHANCE TO CATCH A RABB MY COLLI LINE ARE PRETTY GAME SO THEY WANT TO CATCH WHEN YOUNG THE SALUKS TAKE MAYBE 8 TO 9 MONTHS AND BY THERE A YEAR THEY NO WHAT THERE GAME IS ,EARLY ENTERING A DOG YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL AND NOT THINK ITS INDESTRUCTIBLE LOCALY THERE AFEW FEILDS WITH RABBIT NETTING IDEAL FOR PUPS ,WERE I HUNT BIG FEILDS NO RABBS MUCH SO YOU COULD SPIOL A PUP FLUSHING ROE HARES SO BE CAREFULL , ALL THE PUPS GET TO GO OUT WITH THE FERRETS AND LEARN TO WATCH WHATS GOING ON AS WHEN THEY ARE FECHED FOR FAST QAURY THEY CAN CATCH A BOLTING RABB AND STILL DO A JOB

we also have rabbit netting around making life a bit easier as you say so if the pup is steady enough then seven months can be done,our dogs get all the above youve mentioned but harder ground by us easy to sour a pup.im midland based so tend to leave mine ten months or so depending, size doesnt bother me as long as they are strong and mentally ready.the ground ive mentiond win is hard ground to work in as much as rabbits have little to stop for at hedges and such so have to be worked fairly quickly on flat arable and the criss cross of bard wire on the grass land is a pain plus light polution and most good ground is worked overly.so my idea is around 10 11 month depending only on temprement.ps win from wolverhampton and waiting on other lads to make it worth while,cheers.

Edited by doga

ave just entered my lurcher there at 8 months. am only taken her out a night on the lamp and once day during the week maybe twice, shes had 2 rabbits on the lamp and one during the day. during the day its showing a lot of interest already and watchin my spaniel work the cover. the only person that will know if your dog is ready is urself. uve trained the dog and you should know if its ready and mature enough to enter the field. we can only give opinions. good luck whatever you decide. but sometimes you just need to take a chance

atb john bhoy

ave just entered my lurcher there at 8 months. am only taken her out a night on the lamp and once day during the week maybe twice, shes had 2 rabbits on the lamp and one during the day. during the day its showing a lot of interest already and watchin my spaniel work the cover. the only person that will know if your dog is ready is urself. uve trained the dog and you should know if its ready and mature enough to enter the field. we can only give opinions. good luck whatever you decide. but sometimes you just need to take a chance

atb john bhoy

sorry if you boys thought i was asking the question for my self i wasnt it was purly to find veiws,my own pup was taken out at 9 months with a lot of early day time sucksess from around 5/6 month on mixy rabbits, but on the lamp was over eager so was held back for another 10/11 weeks,shes now 11 almost 12 months old and had a few more outings in the lamp and doing very well for her self,you see the thing is i hear folks spouting that they have machines at six months and i cant except it,ive seen hundreds run at all ages some with great dog men others not so and all over the country.braggers of that kind tend to be full of shlt no it alls that only own the best mainly dealers.

i think al pups are different as stated ,ive brought a few on and one a whippet/greyxcollie grey was taken out from a very young age (not let off just sniffing watching etc) and i let her have a run each month from 6 month 1 run a month each rabbit was hand picked mid field etc she just wasnt intrested at all ,i was getting frustrated ,she was laid up for 5 month and after styarted catching fairly well she was now 2years old,but her leg sustained a bad break.

next dog was a 8month old pup which was up an running she was a bullx been working since 5 month the difference in these two was amazing speed ,drive ,inteligence was over the moon with her by the age of 18month she was looking very good unfortunatly she got run over ,

next one monkey i bred ,and brought on very slow in speed and inteligence a real slow starter shes now 16 month and my young dog which is 8month is already a faster better catching dog.

Its all about the individual dog out of those 4 dogs 2 started early on there own 2 needed assitance all the way and really wernt intrested each is different ,just dont give them to much in one go and always try and finish on a winning note!