Bad night out lamping monday

I aint really been out for just over a week due to 1 thing or another :no:. A pal of mine hadn,t been out this season and he had been asking me for last couple of day to go out on the lamp so monday i decided to go out with the lamp werent a bad night really bit of wind slightly over cast we headed off to our destination about half 8. The 1st thew fields i tried weren,t much about really so we walked on to the next pitch any way we had a couple of bunnies and we carried on to the next spot. Before going over the gate i had a quick flick of the lamp in the field and there was a nice big pair of glowing eyes from the old ginger fella so we quietly got over the gate and i started to call,this fella knew the caper didnt really wana know so i left him for a rainy night :thumbs: so my attention was drawn to another pair of eyes moving right down the far end of the field so we got into abetter position he came in and job was done so as we walked back from where we had came from and me being me i wanted another 1 so we slipped the dogs and as they ran there quarry through this small strip of long grass in the field i heard 1 of the dogs give out and when got over there lowe and behold it was fern unfortunatley. She was lieing like a roll of carpet here eyes were dilated all that was moving was her tail we got her to my mates thanks to another friend off this site any way he couldnt get her to the vets til the morning and when he got there with her they x-rayed her and said she had smashed 3 or 4 verterbrayes in her neck so needles to say he had to put her down a shame i know but its running dogs for you aint it. It wouldnt be so bad but it was his only running dog 3years down ther drain

ATB Penda

post-25667-1254306979_thumb.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that. Seems like every other post this last few days has been an RIP. I hope your mate dont get disheartened and gets himself another. All I can offer is the usual cliche, she went doing what she loved. RIP Fern.

there's a lot of our friends leaving us lately. sorry to here that mate
and i will tel you why ,they dont ever learn any thing other than to run flat out when you only work them of a slip .so they run flat out into obstacles ,because only one thing on their mind ,it must catch what ever they are chasing so oblivious to any thing else . Edited by UNFIT

sorry to hear of your mates loss we were lamping about 10 year ago and we had 2 dogs running a hare up a steep bank anyway the hare got away out of site and one of the dogs came back we waited a couple of minutes for the other dog and no luck so we started to walk up the bank and here was the bitch stone dead with a brocken neck it was a sickner but things like this happen and thares always a risk when you slip a dog

there's a lot of our friends leaving us lately. sorry to here that mate
and i will tel you why ,they dont ever learn any thing other than to run flat out when you only work them of a slip .so they run flat out into obstacles ,because only one thing on their mind ,it must catch what ever they are chasing so oblivious to any thing else .

I can work my dogs on or off of the slip mate a working dog can be killed or injured doing any thing at all ive had dogs that have been coursing theyve hit sumthin in the ground gambowl 100yards and get up and keep going its just the luck of what ever way it lands or falls.