ADVICE

Guest longears

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:unsure: dare I suggest a plummer :rocker: failing that a good russell will do. As most people will tell you, all terriers will bush, just some are better at it than others... :D Edited by Keeps

Try a fell with lakie and bedlington-blood, if something's going wrong and and you can't dig fast enough, he can help himself! You no what? take two to start with, make's things a lot easyer.

:blink::blink:

I f youve not done any digging before try & get out with some lads ..which might not be easy but I wouldnt go & buy a terrier stick it down an earth & expect to dig it ...tey getting a bit ratting & bushing under your belt

imho I wouldnt get 2 dogs as there will come a point when they will want to decide who is the alpha which means fighting & anyone who has had 2 dogs fighting will tell you there never the same

got 4, they never fight. the only fight they do is on their quarry. Seems that you had a bad expierience with that? it's not always easy to handle their character, but the owner must have a hand in that.

When this guy is coming "out of the bleu" with terriers, I should advice him to think twice before keeping a terrier.

But maybe he got friends who put them on the rails, and made him so far that he decided to keep one?

maybe he looked around and worked a couple times with his mates, dont no.

Its not a decision you make while watching missus Bucket on TV, I may hope.

Edited by targa
I own Border Terriers

and my little bitch is superb , they can take longer to catch on .and they are very clever and alot less likely to be smashed up

all the borders ive had have worked, some come quicker than others,some better than others same as anyother breeds.the border bitch i have now is,clean off,mental,loco.be lucky to see her 3rd birthday if she doesnt wise up. :diablo:her brother has been a bit slower and is more bayer.

Guest oldskool

i started off with terriers when i was only a hairy arsed cub!! the jack i got done me well. he could mix it a wee bit but nothin that needed a vets attention. i remember doing silly things like sticking him into holes that, when i think back, i hadnt a feckin hope of digging. but with that type of dog i hadnt much to worry about because after a 1/2 hour or more he would come out with that look on his face that suggested ''wat the f**k are we doing here''. the last terrier i had was a patt that would have stayed until dug and was a real rock hard bugger. well, if i had of started with that terrier i would have probably got him killed in his first few digs. even now i would be quite satisfied with the jack i first started with, im only an occassional digger

Good post Taffy...a mate of mine got into digging when his whippet dog went (semi-successfully) to earth in a peat bank and got stuck...

Longears, I'd like to know what you mean by 'GENRAL EARTHWORK': In my opinion, you cannot work fox and rabbit ad hoc. A terrier cannot discerne when it is meant to be hunting one quarry and not another.

That said, I have had Borders for may years and found them - in general - to be harder than Russells, but more discreet than the black dogs.

i agree with mik 1 dog is enough that way you can give it ur full tme and attention.also the temptation to stick 2 dogs down the same earth may get the better of you my personal opinion is 1 at a time.start with rats first and work up 2 bigger stuff from there dont rush the dog either.but as for type i personally have a rough coat pat/fell.that was wat was there at the time but id recomend a jack versatility 2nd to none.up in the n.e. of scotland here foxes earths ive noticed are smaller than the borders or south of aberdeen.the best terrier ive seen was a jack called micky dog owned by a proper diggin lad if anything it was a bit too hard but thats gettin onto sumit else definately a jack from wrkn stuff :yes:

Guest mterrierman
one word "AMATEUR".........no sorry two words "F##KIN AMATEURS"........

AMATEUR and what the f**k do you know, know me do you ?? im in south wales so maybe you do

I may be new to this site so that makes me a AMATEUR does it ??

I GO out digging not sit in the house talking about it .

And yes i have owend borders and none of them ever last long the lad asked for every ones opinion and i give mine and i think they are rubbish (they were a good terrier to have years ago) until the £450 a pup crew got there hands on them SHOW DOGS thats what they are now if you can come out and dig were we dig and what we dig with a border i,ll never slag them again and i,d pay to see it.

Guest mterrierman

God no i learn every time i go out mate all i am saying is I don,t think much of borders i have never seen a good one and people who breed for money like alot (no all) of border owners have spoild i good breed.

And as the post was started for i don,t think a border will be the right dog for someone to start terrier work with because the borders that are still good solid workers ARE few and the lads that got them breed for work and a new starter would never get one so the likely hood of him getting a border that will let him down is very high.

I just think it would be a very bad choice

In my early days when i didn,t now better i paid £400 for a border and £350 for one from so called WORKING lines both were rubbish and a mate had two and they were both rubbish so you can understand why i dislike them.

I did own a borderxlakeland tho probably the best working terrier i ever owned a true working dog.