ADVICE

Guest longears

Guest longears

AWRYT LADS I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN INTRESTED IN TERRIER WORK N BEEN KEEN ON GETTING IN TO IT AND I HAVE FIALLNY DECIDED TO GET A TERRIER BUT AM NOT SURE ON WHICH 1 TO GET I LIKE THE LOOF OF BORDERS AND PATTERDALES AM WANTIN SUMTHING FOR GENRAL EARTHWORK N BUSHING SO IF ANY OF YOU LADS HAVE ADVICE ON TERRIER WORK N THE BEST DOG FOR A BEGINER THEN PLZ LET MEH KNOW CHEERS :signthankspin:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RobW71

It's nothing to do with the breed it's self cymro, it's about the best breed to start off with, which imho would be a steady Jack Russell.

I'm not going to go into the ins and out of the breeds but for instance, A novice to the game would not want a Fox munching Fell type to start off with, if anything went wrong and he couldn't get there quick enough, it'd be curtains.

I've seen some borders work but only with experianced Terriermen.

Regards Rob

I wouldn't recommend a Border for a beginner.

and why wouldnt you reommend a border?

My own experience is - and this is not paraphrasing Plummer's 'notoriously slow to enter' comment - they can take more time and effort to become a useful working terrier.

Does that clarify things?

IMHO It does not matter what terrier you start with mate .No doubt you are around people with experience that can guide you ,whatever your choice .In most cases a terrier is what you make it anyway .The most important thing is to get it from stock that suits your idea of what you want .

Guest mterrierman

I wouldn,t recommend a border full stop they are crap end of ok if you want a show dog or a pet but thats about it :icon_eek:

My own experience is - and this is not paraphrasing Plummer's 'notoriously slow to enter' comment - they can take more time and effort to become a useful working terrier.

Does that clarify things?

they can be slow,but this lad is just starting off so last thig he needs is a munch machine that needs stiching/glueing at the start.Needs to learn the trade first,like i did.let him get a bit of experience of running his dog through earths,start to dig the right way,respect and learn the quarry(you may laugh,but theres is a right way to dig to your dog,seen it to many times lads new to the game shoveling and picking like banshies and at the end they find a dead dog.through their inexperience).so from experience found border or jacks a bit better for the starters,most tend to be bayers that mix it when they need to.....what else does a starter new to the game need?

I wouldn,t recommend a border full stop they are crap end of ok if you want a show dog or a pet but thats about it :icon_eek:

one word "AMATEUR".........no sorry two words "F##KIN AMATEURS"........