ADVICE

Guest longears

As for mterrierman, from previous posts on smoochers, I understand your not averse to making a fast buck either... :rolleyes::rolleyes::icon_eek:

Never sold a terrier for more than £100 to a working home. :guitar:

How much to a 'non-working home'? More or less....?

Well to be honest i haven,t breed any terriers for a long time now but i have sold russell,s for £150

You could have one of my Borders for that.... :)

So, do you charge more to a non-working home...? A sort of 'non-working' supplement? :o

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally ,and this is just my opinion,I would never let a working dog go to a non-working home.Breed when we need them,pick what suits and put down any surplus down .Swap a pup from time to time but never accept money or expect to pay it .

Guest mterrierman

To be honest i have only ever sold 2 pups as pets myself and all my mates had most of the litter 2 left so better to see someone have them.

Got a litter dew soon out of the two dog,s in my aviater pic most are booked but if i do have any left they will be sold two hopefully to working homes and a working home in my eyes is digging/ratting/bushing they are all workers or i will let them go as pets.

I know lads that once they have what they want out of a litter they will pts the rest rather than sell them to working homes or pets and to me that is f*****g bullshit.

i bought my lakey patterdale for £65-70 i cant remember now but he,s from woring stock 25 years or more, i too am a first time terrierman, the terrier is only just a year and coming on strong. these things are a real real handful and not ot be taken lighty.

on the other hand sooooo much fun you wouldnt belive. as for choosing i got mates that swear by russells and other that dont.

what ever you want will do in my opinion as long as you stay on top of the little terrorists!!!!!!!!

So would you not let a pup go to say a ratting, bushing home. Would it have to be a digging home or nothing?

Just curious :D

MOLL.

Im afraid so Molly .Feedback is what we need to make sure we are doing right in the breeding .Ratting ,bushing is alright but not what we breed for .Dont get me wrong ,I enjoy a ratting session but the digging game is IMO the reason to put stayer across stayer .Most second rate earth dogs will perform at the above ground stuff but the real deal is needed to work consistantly below .

To be honest i have only ever sold 2 pups as pets myself and all my mates had most of the litter 2 left so better to see someone have them.

Got a litter dew soon out of the two dog,s in my aviater pic most are booked but if i do have any left they will be sold two hopefully to working homes and a working home in my eyes is digging/ratting/bushing they are all workers or i will let them go as pets.

I know lads that once they have what they want out of a litter they will pts the rest rather than sell them to working homes or pets and to me that is f*****g bullshit.

Look at it this way mate -You are hopefully breeding a first class worker and as such deserves to be worked and tested to the full to ensure the next generation are also workers.Those sold into pet homes may not be up to the job but may one day sire or give birth to terriers sold as 100% dogs .If they are shown at working terrier shows and do well then certain elements will ask to breed from these non workers and so on .

The old belief that you can bring in blood from a terrier related to a 100% worker but which is non proven , does not in my book hold up in reality .Wastage is never ruled out by keeping the blood right but its a certainty if its not .

So would you not let a pup go to say a ratting, bushing home. Would it have to be a digging home or nothing?

Just curious :D

MOLL.

Im afraid so Molly .Feedback is what we need to make sure we are doing right in the breeding .Ratting ,bushing is alright but not what we breed for .Dont get me wrong ,I enjoy a ratting session but the digging game is IMO the reason to put stayer across stayer .Most second rate earth dogs will perform at the above ground stuff but the real deal is needed to work consistantly below .

MOLL.

AWRYT LADS I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN INTRESTED IN TERRIER WORK N BEEN KEEN ON GETTING IN TO IT AND I HAVE FIALLNY DECIDED TO GET A TERRIER BUT AM NOT SURE ON WHICH 1 TO GET I LIKE THE LOOF OF BORDERS AND PATTERDALES AM WANTIN SUMTHING FOR GENRAL EARTHWORK N BUSHING SO IF ANY OF YOU LADS HAVE ADVICE ON TERRIER WORK N THE BEST DOG FOR A BEGINER THEN PLZ LET MEH KNOW CHEERS :signthankspin:

Longears

i bet you didnt imagine that your post would spark such a debate{a sign of a good topic} well i have said before opinions are like arseholes everyone has one, well heres mine, the breed is probably not as important as the entering ,but good luck with your choice whatever it is..

y/s Jigger