The Working Border Terrier Club

Dont understand why you would need the backing of the countrymans weekly or EDRD, they are just magazines at the end of the day, if you write something theyll print it, if you send them an ad theyll print it.

Wish you luck, always wondered if it would be possible to get myself a border for digging too, but dont think any breeders want them to go to working homes though going by the cost of a pup. Seems to have been their downfall.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dee mac
burrowman i ll not apologise mr darcey came on to this thread and asked him to remove the piece about the edrd backing his club because they never now mr bucks post has been edited and mr darceys posts reguarding the problem have been remove so why would i apologise get your facts right before jumping in feet first thank you

Sorry Dee Mac, now i will apologise to you i didnt see those posts as ive been workin late recently and havent been on here. I hope no hard feelings. a.t.b. Burrowman

no problem burrowman will save my hard feeling s for the ladies :tongue2:
its a good thing what you are doing mate but the price of the borders is that if you pay 4oo for your dogs and they do the digging well you still want ya money back for the pups.i dont ca\re who says what ive worked borders for years and they have all proved themselves and my pups were the same price as the parents what i paid which was 350 a pup and i wasnt stuck with a pup because theb people who bought them new they grafted.but you do get the peoplke who just want to earn a quick buck and mine were k.cd to.
absolute fcuking sh1t talk if all border onwers think like this muppet then you s are beat before yous start .the genuine lads will have proper digging dogs standing in there kennells proably given too them by like minded dog men and i ll bet not one of them is a border.to save the border things have to change ie forget money .quick question lurchers if you give 400 for a good bitch and you breed her and she has 5 pups why not just charge a 100 a pup your still a 100 quid up on price of original bitch thats your money back ;) dont think so you muppet pound sign s rock your boat :angry:

here we go arse wipe you dont no me dickhead so do even go down that road.i sold border pups years agofor 40 quid a pup to get people started in the breed and when i bred a litter it was for my own use dickhead.the same arseholes i sold the pups to once the price of borders went up they even charged me what they were asking dont forget i got them into the breed.thats when i noticed there is no mate in the dog world when it comes to buying pups but like a mug i still either give them away or sell them for next to nowt.but like i said if i pay 400 a pup yes i want my money back ive probably dug to my borders than you have had hot dinners so do judge people that you dont no,[prick]

Well done Johnny,as u said "the time for talk is over"', fair play to u for takin on this challenge as if u havent enough on yer plate. For f--cks sake lads stop knockin the man before he even starts. I read his book and id say hes forgot more about terrier work than most know.

To Wazz 77; why should we give away pups and stud service free, we have the same costs as u food, vets, wormers,flea doses,bedding etc and the way ye are goin on about the price of borders makes me mad, they average around 100/150 notes dearer than patts, you would spend that on a good night out and all u would have is a hangover. Last year i thought about gettin a Jagd terrier i rang a breeder of genuine workers in Denmark about a pup,

bitches 1200 euro, dogs 1500 now thats expensive.My mate paid 600 quid for a tekel,when a breed is scarce it costs more thats life.

To Corky John; clearly he has loads of backing incl me, just count the amount of posts with good wishes.

To Dee Mac; i respect your comments on the forum, i can tell that your talkin from experience when u make a comment, we need your kind on this forum to pass on your knowledge without bullshite but this time you need to apologise, the man never said he had support from E.D.R.D. he only mentioned Countrymans Weekly and N.W.T.F.

Sorry Johnny if i over stepped the mark by replyin to your critics but it just gets to me a.t.v.b. Burrowman

Your right burrowman you do have the same costs as me....so how come you charge £££'s and i give them for free? :whistling:

Cos you're a money man and i'm not.

its a good thing what you are doing mate but the price of the borders is that if you pay 4oo for your dogs and they do the digging well you still want ya money back for the pups.i dont ca\re who says what ive worked borders for years and they have all proved themselves and my pups were the same price as the parents what i paid which was 350 a pup and i wasnt stuck with a pup because theb people who bought them new they grafted.but you do get the peoplke who just want to earn a quick buck and mine were k.cd to.
absolute fcuking sh1t talk if all border onwers think like this muppet then you s are beat before yous start .the genuine lads will have proper digging dogs standing in there kennells proably given too them by like minded dog men and i ll bet not one of them is a border.to save the border things have to change ie forget money .quick question lurchers if you give 400 for a good bitch and you breed her and she has 5 pups why not just charge a 100 a pup your still a 100 quid up on price of original bitch thats your money back ;) dont think so you muppet pound sign s rock your boat :angry:

here we go arse wipe you dont no me dickhead so do even go down that road.i sold border pups years agofor 40 quid a pup to get people started in the breed and when i bred a litter it was for my own use dickhead.the same arseholes i sold the pups to once the price of borders went up they even charged me what they were asking dont forget i got them into the breed.thats when i noticed there is no mate in the dog world when it comes to buying pups but like a mug i still either give them away or sell them for next to nowt.but like i said if i pay 400 a pup yes i want my money back ive probably dug to my borders than you have had hot dinners so do judge people that you dont no,[prick]

or by the way while you want to call me names i bred a litter of lurcher pups 1yr in winter time so i had heating on for them for mnths which cost me a fortune,they were fed 3 times aday on rabbit,chicken and meal which wasnt cheap and this is a litter of 10 pups the mother was getting fed a boat load a day so they didnt drain the wait off her i sold 1 pup for a tenner,2 for 30 quid 1 i kept myself and 1 to the stud.the others were advertised for 50quid which at the time the same kind of pups were in the countrymans for 200 quid and i still got the idiots wanting them for less so i was well out of pocket so dont think im into dogs for money as that doesnt bother me but if i pay the going rate for the breed the pups are now the same price as im sick of people take the pee to make a quick pound from other people.

Firstly let me thank those people that have contacted me since putting on this topic....Just to clear up the EDRD thing let me state that Dave was contacted by myself and had agreed initially in printing something about the club in the magazine. The article was then emailed to him and we then in due course discussed it. Dave decided he did not want to print it in part due to its length i think.

Me and Dave continue to be close friends and i respect his wishes as i do the man himself...Dave will be as agreed advertising my new book when it is complete.

Its a pity Mr Darcy didn't just PM me instead of trying to make me look like a liar and i could have put things straight.

The intentions of the club are laid out on the first page for all to see, if you nothing positive or constructive to say then why not post a topic of your own instead of rubbishing this one.

To all the doubters out there give the man a brake,he only put up the post for like minded people,what you have to remember is there is still working borders out there and all the man is trying to do is bring them together,so as to safeguard the working strains,something which i think should have been done 20 years ago,heres hopeing it can still be done

Guest rocky4

it shouldent be about the money but it is which is sad we had borders in the late 80 s out danny and misty we ad a dog and bitch who both made first class digging dogs we used to line bitchs for different people 9 times out of ten we used to give our picks away to lads then who we used to go digging with none made the grade not like the two we ad we got another border dog and bitch which came from luton we gave the dog to my mates dad but he was poisend we think by my mates next door neigbour the bitch started off welll but she never made the grade we ad her spaded then gave her to my sister scamp lived to a good old age the bitch my mate lost in an old mine shaft i still have a soft spot for borders and i wish you all the best we ad some good days out with them thers to many breeders breeding for profit and not enough breeding for the working side good luck all the best think posative

i will be interested to see how the club gets on its feet. will it cap prices. to a sensible. 150. to 200 for a pup in line with most working terrier breeds. will it deal with the very small gene pool. by discussing an outcross program and if nessesary set the ball rolling. will it put work first. and turn its back on the KC. if this is deemed nessesary. ????/

these are the real issues. that will need to be faced head on. if the working border has any chance of survival. good luck to you. you will need it

Guest busterdog
i will be interested to see how the club gets on its feet. will it cap prices. to a sensible. 150. to 200 for a pup in line with most working terrier breeds. will it deal with the very small gene pool. by discussing an outcross program and if nessesary set the ball rolling. will it put work first. and turn its back on the KC. if this is deemed nessesary. ????/

these are the real issues. that will need to be faced head on. if the working border has any chance of survival. good luck to you. you will need it

That's the best reply yet. don't forget it's not just about the stud dog, the breed has got to have honest and decent terrier men to try the bitches and give their HONEST opinions and without the bitches it can't go forward.

Edited by busterdog
I hope the initial support which is good to see.... Continues alongside the improvement of the Working Border Terrier.

A lad on here said that Dave Harcombe tried it about 20 years ago, and it didn't work. The reasons it didn't work was there was no internet and he used alot of show bred stuff, thinking he could get them to work. Just before he wrapped in the borders, Levi Oates offered him 3 digging borders, 2 bitches and a dog that were working, not pups. John getting back to you, I think you have a big task ahead of you and I know quite a few lads up and down the country that would say the same. I love the idea of it, as I am very passionate about border terriers, and I wish you the best of luck in your quest. If you don't mind, could I suggest something for you to consider which I have always tried to stay true too, over the years. 1/ only breed off a stud dog of 5years and over and make sure his blood lines are from workers, also check his siblings (this also applies to the bitches as well) and has been worked for 4 seasons. 2/ don't breed off bitches until they have seen at least 3 seasons and have worked at least 2 seasons. 3/ you would have to brake up your breeding stock into sections, bayers / mixers / hard, you would have to get a mediator to see these dogs work, and report back to the club, how the dogs worked, and what section he should go into, the mediator should be a true and honest man, and not kennel blind. These men should be chosen by yourself, or terrier men that you trust, up and down the country. Also make sure none of the blood lines have got out crosses in them, i.e. pats or lakies. If you are going to do this, you have to keep the borders true to type. Sorry for rambling on lads, I did say I was passionate about this, but they are only my opinions. Good luck John, I would definately join!!!