Straw Stuffed Holes

Not really a Long Netting subject, But I was checking out a field tonight where the farmer gave me permission to Long Net, I came to the gate and there was the local nutter / village idiot! He started asking what I was at and I told him I was in having a look if there where many rabbits about, He started telling me something about when he was young he used to stuff the ditches with straw and then walk the rabbits into the holes where they would try to get down, but end up half stuck and he would lift them out, Now only I have heard something of this before or I would have just put it down to him being true to his reputation! Does anybody know anything of this method?

Aye its a old methord a handfull of straw or hay into a hole and chase the rabbits back into there burrow .Ive tried something similar putting purse nets over a burrow and flushing rabbits out of cover with my spanniel anything for a laugh and a few free rabbits

Not really a Long Netting subject, But I was checking out a field tonight where the farmer gave me permission to Long Net, I came to the gate and there was the local nutter / village idiot! He started asking what I was at and I told him I was in having a look if there where many rabbits about, He started telling me something about when he was young he used to stuff the ditches with straw and then walk the rabbits into the holes where they would try to get down, but end up half stuck and he would lift them out, Now only I have heard something of this before or I would have just put it down to him being true to his reputation! Does anybody know anything of this method?

yes quite true have a look at the warreners dvd old ways of the poacher great dvd and lots of the old tricks shown ,,

• 4 weeks later...

yeah i used to do this as a kid with no other equipment at mates farms lol!! fill them all up about a foot down then come back a few hours later and run em down the holes and pull them out :-)

like people have said you can use purse nets instead.

:whistling:

yeah i used to do this as a kid with no other equipment at mates farms lol!! fill them all up about a foot down then come back a few hours later and run em down the holes and pull them out :-)

If all these holes are full of straw ,how do they get out ,to be chased back down. :whistling:

:whistling:

If all these holes are full of straw ,how do they get out ,to be chased back down. :whistling:

good question but back netting with purse nets does work i have had a few like this but you need a bury that the rabbits cant see from where they are feeding, then set the nets really well and walk them in its not really productive but its a laugh