feed before?

Just wanted some opinions really, is it best to feed your dog before or after you take it out, I know it will run faster on an empty stomach but does it affect it's stamina? If i'm just going for a mooch for a couple of hours I won't bother but If I was going for a whole nights lamping would it be better to feed before? I Know I could'nt go to work on an empty stomach, what do you think folks?

Guest jt750

Don't feed before as if a dog has a full belly and is running it can cause gastric torsion when if not caught early results in death. After a hard night dry the dog off check for injuries feed them up and they'll be just fine

Guest lurchers&terriers
Don't feed before as if a dog has a full belly and is running it can cause gastric torsion when if not caught early results in death. After a hard night dry the dog off check for injuries feed them up and they'll be just fine

spot on mate good advice

Totally agree feed AFTER work ,never BEFORE.

Dogs are different to humans: they are designed to work (hunt) on an empty stomach: if your'e going out in the evening and expect the dog to work hard it wouldn't hurt to give it a small breakfast that morning, but no later than early morning. General rule of thumb is no food for 12 hours before hard work. Even moderate exercise which might involve running a few rabbits is best done on an empty stomach for the reasons already given: twisted gut (torsion) which is usually fatal.

Just wanted some opinions really, is it best to feed your dog before or after you take it out, I know it will run faster on an empty stomach but does it affect it's stamina? If i'm just going for a mooch for a couple of hours I won't bother but If I was going for a whole nights lamping would it be better to feed before? I Know I could'nt go to work on an empty stomach, what do you think folks?

Most people will give different advice based on experience and knowledge, until recently I have lamped for over 25 years, my routine is as follows, if lamping about 6pm- 8pm , a small handful of feed at about lunch time, always take an electrolyte solution with you and when the dog has run a few allow a small drink, do this a few times depending on how long and hard the dog works, when finished a good rub down and 30 minutes after finished running as usual a good feed.

A little food in the stomach shouldn't be a problem so a light feed of complete or the like earlier in the day shouldn't cause problems but I wouldn't feed a large amount or bones for 12 hours prior to hard work. Gastric torsion, in dogs, is a possibility at anytime but it's very rare whilst it's not uncommon to read of dogs collapsing or fading which may be advoided a little with appropriate and timely feeding. If you want the dog to perform like a modern athlete then we need to move forward in our feeding regimes, a few bunnies for the pot is one thing but modern lamps alow for dogs to be worked for far longer than in the past so we need to adapt to what we a doing.

Guest Rod&dog

I always feed my dogs after they have been out. Im no expert on feeding dogs but ive always belived that if fed and ran a dog can get stomach problems and even the guts to twist which can not be good for a dog and could even kill a dog.

:)