Odd Colour Kit

my gill (silver) had 11 kits by a sandy hob and the kits were sandys and bews apart from this one

Picture061.jpg

Picture054.jpg

Picture053.jpg

sorry poor pics but he would not stop still

That's nice.

I like ferrets that look a bit different.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Need to correct myself because the collection of databases is by the National Center for Biotechnology Information.   http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/   The databases are collated from studies from a

You've already had 2 examples of Waardenburgs ferrets, 'Lee'.   Your comments on working and showing are irrelevent prejudice.   There's none so blind as will not see. You are dead right there.  

Posted Images

my gill (silver) had 11 kits by a sandy hob and the kits were sandys and bews apart from this one

Picture061.jpg

Picture054.jpg

Picture053.jpg

I've bred quite a few like that in the past from breeding to silvers, have you got any decent pics of your BEW's?

I've bred quite a few like that in the past from breeding to silvers, have you got any decent pics of your BEW's?

I've got plenty of pics of my adult BEW's but none of this years kits.

I'll borrow a camera and sort some out soon.

Mates, be careful breeding ferrets with odd white markings, it's linked to a neural crest deformity which can cause deafness and other problems.

The American ferret people specifically breed for those type of odd colours and markings and they are in a right mess with their ferrets health...they are known for being some of the worst in the world.

That being said, sure is an interesting stinker, would very much like to see more pics as it gets older. :yes:

Picture061.jpg

Picture054.jpg

Picture053.jpg

just had a look and cant find any , these kits where from last year didnt breed this year , but they were all white with black eyes

Mates, be careful breeding ferrets with odd white markings, it's linked to a neural crest deformity which can cause deafness and other problems.

The American ferret people specifically breed for those type of odd colours and markings and they are in a right mess with their ferrets health...they are known for being some of the worst in the world.

That being said, sure is an interesting stinker, would very much like to see more pics as it gets older. :yes:

:yes: True. It's called Waardenburg Syndrome. Here's a piece on it:

Waardenburg-like coloring

Ferrets with a white stripe on their face or a fully white head, primarily blazes, badgers, and pandas, almost certainly carry a congenital defect which shares some similarities to Waardenburg syndrome. This causes, among other things, a cranial deformation in the womb which broadens the skull, white face markings, and also partial or total deafness. It is estimated as many as 75% of ferrets with these Waardenburg-like colorings are deaf. Beyond that, the cranial deformation also causes a higher instance of stillborn ferret kits, and occasionally cleft palates. Because of this, many breeders will not breed Waardenburg-patterned ferrets.

We're lucky with our ferret population at the minute, because ferrets are bred for function, not their colour. Please do us all a favour and not breed from that ferret. :no: Ferret populations around the world are in a bad way due to being bred for form over function. Let's try to do our bit and try to ensure that the heath of our ferret population stays that way. ;)

Ferrets with a white stripe on their face or a fully white head, primarily blazes, badgers, and pandas, almost certainly carry a congenital defect which shares some similarities to Waardenburg syndrome. This causes, among other things, a cranial deformation in the womb which broadens the skull, white face markings, and also partial or total deafness. It is estimated as many as 75% of ferrets with these Waardenburg-like colorings are deaf. Beyond that, the cranial deformation also causes a higher instance of stillborn ferret kits, and occasionally cleft palates. Because of this, many breeders will not breed Waardenburg-patterned ferrets.

We're lucky with our ferret population at the minute, because ferrets are bred for function, not their colour. Please do us all a favour and not breed from that ferret. :no: Ferret populations around the world are in a bad way due to being bred for form over function. Let's try to do our bit and try to ensure that the heath of our ferret population stays that way. ;)

Hi mate. Are you talking to me or Fezz ?

The last thing I want is to breed dodgy ferrets, what's your veiws on my kit with the patch ?

Cheers.

Hi mate. Are you talking to me or Fezz ?

The last thing I want is to breed dodgy ferrets, what's your veiws on my kit with the patch ?

Cheers.

The Fezz mate, but I wouldn't recommend anybody breeding purely because the ferret had different markings/colours. :no: There's a few members on here from other countries that will tell you what sort of state this type of breeding has had on their ferret stock. :thumbs:

maltenby where did that quote come from? Also how many (members/readers) have actually had/bred a litter that produced a ferret confirmed as having Waardenburg syndrome in the UK?

Y.I.S Leeview