long courses

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has any one seen the run that rosco did on one of the fen fever tapes it was easy 8 mins what a run thats the longest ive seen , but no distrespect a good dog should get the job done wiyh in 2 mins,

not if the hares good

well son what if the dogs good you only find the od hare now and again most hares ive ran with my dogs they have done them in 2 mins or less and i run fen ,sailsbury plains,devices , lamborne,wantage,oxford didcot,i run most places ,if it take a dog every run to kill a hair about 4 to 5 mins hes to slow for me but people like different dogs i like a dog to get it done with in 2 mins thanks lad alb.

yeah your right mate i like a dog on the hares arse pressuring it all the time making it turn. not a dog that sits behind the hare waiting for it to tyre thats not proper corsing

sorry for sending to many my computer crashed

ok il have a bet with u in the winter 3 each round goring and wantage way

if you want to bet son thats noproblem i supose you will use sams bitch the bitch that was in the forley this year ,or have you got your own dog ,but just remember you were the one that wanted to bet.
a hare is faster than any dog its just the dogs stanima that makes them catch the hare so it takes time for a dog to catch a hare my mates dog was a saluki whippet and the whippet in her helped her catch them a lot faster.

A hare is not faster than any dog...it's the hares ability to turn on itself that makes it hard to catch.... ;)

a hare is faster than any dog its just the dogs stanima that makes them catch the hare so it takes time for a dog to catch a hare my mates dog was a saluki whippet and the whippet in her helped her catch them a lot faster.

Totally wrong.

What with you and the guy above you with a greyhound coursing for 7 minutes.

What is it school holiday time?

I will say only this, as there are obviously some people on this thread who know jack shit about coursing.MOST people ,UNLESS they are timing a run ,WILDY overestimate how long it lasts.

spot on inan, over estimate runs, and the distance on a slip :yes:

Thanks Tomo , look forward to seeing you come the Autumn!

Iv seen runs on Dvd's that last 4 5 and 6 min,

But in all honesty everyone I have ran day/night most if not all are killed or away within the minute,

I will have to get on some big land this season to see if mine jacks after a min or two..

Cant wait....

Atb T 7

Some interesting extracts from "The Dog" byWilliam Youatt and E.J. Lewis

"but the staunchness of snowball nothing could exeed. A scotch greyhound, who at the time, had beaten everything in his own country, was brought to England, and challenged every dog in the kingdom. The challenge was excepted by Snowball, who beat him in a two mile course. The last match run by

Snowball was against mr plumbers cellabrated greyhound speed, and so severely contested was it, that speed died soon afterward."

"of the staunchness of the well bred greyhound, the following is a satisfactory example, a hare was started before a brace of greyhounds, and ran by them

for several miles, when they were found both the dogs and the hare lay dead within a few yards of each other. A labourer had seen them turn her several

times, but it did not appear that either of them had caught her, as there was no wound upon her"

"on another ocasion a hare was chased by a brace of greyhounds, she was killed at the distance of seven miles from the place at which they started her,

both of the dogs were so exhausted, that every possible assistance being given, they were with difficulty recovered"

What a dog the greyhound was in those days (1800s) if only we had their like now. i wonder how they would of fayred against todays match dogs ?

anybody whos timing the course cant be enjoyin that much to get there stop watch out, but time flys when your having fun

atb john

A good mate of mine allways timed his dogs runs [preban],no -one enjoyed coursing more than him.How long does it take to press a stop watch?

Some interesting extracts from "The Dog" byWilliam Youatt and E.J. Lewis

"but the staunchness of snowball nothing could exeed. A scotch greyhound, who at the time, had beaten everything in his own country, was brought to England, and challenged every dog in the kingdom. The challenge was excepted by Snowball, who beat him in a two mile course. The last match run by

Snowball was against mr plumbers cellabrated greyhound speed, and so severely contested was it, that speed died soon afterward."

"of the staunchness of the well bred greyhound, the following is a satisfactory example, a hare was started before a brace of greyhounds, and ran by them

for several miles, when they were found both the dogs and the hare lay dead within a few yards of each other. A labourer had seen them turn her several

times, but it did not appear that either of them had caught her, as there was no wound upon her"

"on another ocasion a hare was chased by a brace of greyhounds, she was killed at the distance of seven miles from the place at which they started her,

both of the dogs were so exhausted, that every possible assistance being given, they were with difficulty recovered"

What a dog the greyhound was in those days (1800s) if only we had their like now. i wonder how they would of fayred against todays match dogs ?

Around 20 years ago I was on Romney Marsh watching a course between greyhounds.The dogs ran a hare up to a little graveyard at the top of a hill,popularly known as "Boot Hill", the judge who was on foot eventually came back to the rest of us and asked the farmer to take his landrover up to the top ,one of the dogs had died at the summit.