long courses

a hare is faster than any dog its just the dogs stanima that makes them catch the hare so it takes time for a dog to catch a hare my mates dog was a saluki whippet and the whippet in her helped her catch them a lot faster.

more S.H.I.T.E.

a hare is faster then a dog dats fact!!!!! my dog catchs them in arund 2mins and other times maby 4 or that its all about the ground you hunting and how much the hare is willing to get away..... but most of the time is the turning of the dog that does it..........

wrong.the dog is faster hence the grey being called the second fastest land animal after the cheetah. also how the dogs catch up with the hare after fair law has been given.its close but the dog is faster.

scotty

there are plenty of land animals faster than a greyhound, many of the antlope species have been recorded over 50 mile an hour ;)

pronghorn anttelope will do over50mph ;)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a hare is faster than any dog its just the dogs stanima that makes them catch the hare so it takes time for a dog to catch a hare my mates dog was a saluki whippet and the whippet in her helped her catch them a lot faster.

more S.H.I.T.E.

a hare is faster then a dog dats fact!!!!! my dog catchs them in arund 2mins and other times maby 4 or that its all about the ground you hunting and how much the hare is willing to get away..... but most of the time is the turning of the dog that does it..........

wrong.the dog is faster hence the grey being called the second fastest land animal after the cheetah. also how the dogs catch up with the hare after fair law has been given.its close but the dog is faster.

scotty

there are plenty of land animals faster than a greyhound, many of the antlope species have been recorded over 50 mile an hour ;)

:notworthy::icon_redface: :icon_redface:

fair do's but a dog is still faster than hare.

scotty

i own rosco and beleive me he is a good dog a very good dog he is running with my bitches now and he a fit but he will still stop them hares . that run was just over 8 mins and for a dog to run for 8 mins on a good hare that tells me he has the heart of a lion.

i own rosco and beleive me he is a good dog a very good dog he is running with my bitches now and he a fit but he will still stop them hares . that run was just over 8 mins and for a dog to run for 8 mins on a good hare that tells me he has the heart of a lion.

I think I would want the heart of a cheetah rather than a lion, big lazy scavengers dontcha know! :doh:

atb Dirtwinger

more S.H.I.T.E.

scotty

scotty is right.The Greyhound is the second fastest Animal on the planet after the cheetah.atb Catcher 1

:notworthy::icon_redface: :icon_redface:

fair do's but a dog is still faster than hare.

scotty

• 5 months later...

Old Topic.But reading it again seem to me they are a lot of people who dont have a clue.Where did all this seven min crap come from.Had dog,s out for twenty mins over small fields and woods who would bring back a hare pre ban.Just had to sit and wait for them when out of sight. ;)

jesus what a load of crap posted on this thread!!! a greyhound running for 7 minute's! a guy who run's all over the recognized coursing area's whose dog kill's them all in two miute's wherever he's running!!! what a dog!! i run the fen twice a week in week out and i can't believe some of the drivel that's put up on here by so called experienced coursing men!! i'd like to touch on a couple of point's first the dog "roscoe" i was talking to the lad's that were running him that day on the fen fever tape, he was only 19 month's old that day, the ground was very heavy going and other more experienced and famous named dog's were really struggling that day on that ground, failing to catch after four and five minute's but funny enough they ended up on the cutting room floor!! the hare that roscoe run was one of "them" a super hare on favourable going the dog done well to kill it, but the dog was never the same again!! most courses on the fen average between 21/2 to 31/2 minute's but 4 and even 5-6 minute run's are fairly common at the right time of year (january) when the ground suit's the hare i'e heavy soft going, some day's the ground is "bang on" for the dog's. believe me there are a lot of factor's to think about when it come's to running and catching our finest mammilian athlete the brown hare, as for the hare being faster than dog's bullshit!!! although i will say some hare's are faster than some dog's!! i've seen!!! just my opinion

ive got a field i run which is 2furlongs downhill ,440 yards. Id just got my bitch back from kennels and she was thin , id fed her and walked her up to doing 4miles a day by the end of the week. So it was dusk and there was 1roe not far down, about 70 or 80 yards ,but only 30 yards out from the hedge that runs the full length of the field, i let her under the fence and slipped her , didnt think she was fit enough but first run ,a bit of a pipe opener , thought she d be 50 / 50 to keep it from jumping the hedge . . . .she never put a turn on it !! 440yards in a straight line . . . .i was not too disappointed , but in the half light i could see she was close as it jumped the gate into the lane , i was just wandering down the field , she s quite well mannered and will make her way back , then i heard her hit it !!! . . .in the distance, she d gone out the gate over the lane under a gate , 200+ yards up hill (still in a straight line) and was about 20 or 30 yards inside a wood , she was shattered , couldnt get it down and just held the leg , while it sang for all its worth and muggins here had to run (jog walk jog !) 700 yards in the dark whilst saying to myself , "for the love of god will you grab the throat" hahaha , not hares i know and not even that long in time , prob 2mins but the furthest ive seen a dog go on a deer and still catch.

if a hare is faster than a dog why did they ban the waterloo cup !

i saw a pure greyhound that took over 7 mins to catch her hare and in my mind it takes a good dog and a bloody good hare

S.H.I.T.E.

THERE ARE PURE SALUKIS THAT CANT RUN 4 5MIN,s NEVER MIND A GREYHOUND THAT RUNS 4 7MINS. I,D HAVE 2 SAY THATS 1 OF THE MOST RIDICULOUS COMMENTS CONCERNING COURSING IVE EVER HEARD. I SEEN NIPPER(THE NIPPER OF SEAGULL/FOXY/BLONDIE/BENJI FAME) TAKE A HARE 4 NEAR 7MINS & IT ENDED UP A NEAR WALKING MATCH & HE WAS FAMOUS 4 STAMINA!

"HARES ARE FASTER THAN DOGS".TOTAL NONSENSE,BUT MIND YOU IT DOES DEPEND ON THE DOG/HOWS ITS BRED / WHAT TYPE OF RUNNING & WHAT TYPE OF GROUND IT WAS BRED 4?? HOW IMPORTANT IS PURE SPEED IN A COURSING DOG?? ITS EVERYTHING! PROVIDED THE HARE KEEPS RUNNING IN A STRAIGHT LINE! (PRE BAN OF COURSE)