Greyhound x Boxer cross?

So did you keep one and try it? Just curious as i'm of the opinion that they would be a good mix as boxers are fast, agile and strong. They where and still are used in mixes for boar hunting and to me would offer alot of the benefits of a pitbull mix with the possible advantage of being a slightly more stable dog. The only downside to using one as a purebreed would be the dislike of extreme heat and cold. My 9mth old boxer runs with my mates 2yr old wolfhoundxgreyhound bitch and staghoundxdeerhoundxborzoi dog and is more than capable of keeping up. In fact uphill he powers away and over uneven terrain is just amazing. Personally for hunting coyote's or wolves i'd be more inclined to go for a boxerxgreatdanexmastiffxgreyhound or for a hairy hound that is more suited to adverse climates a wolfhoundxmastiffxstaghound. Size and speed are what you want plus a fearless nature so that they don't run off if they get bit i also would wait until they are at least 12mths old as it doesn't take much to turn a young pup off which is the ruin of many a young dog that has been started to early. Rabbits are good to start on as they don't bite back and are fun for dogs to chase. If taught properly virually anydog can be an asset to a hunting team.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I read somewhere that sighthound blood was used in the makeup of the boxer

Antonio Nores Martinez who developed one of the best big game hunting dogs the world has ever seen(The Dogo Argentino)used boxers in his breeding programme.

Posted Images

i am curious as well. while not widespread there are still some working boxers & usually not bred that way on purpose. about 10 years ago there was a guy on Baydog Online's old forum from the USA that used them for catchdogs on boar. there are also a handful of people in the USA & Canada training & breeding them for Personal Protection Sport. don't discount the use of a heavier bullXgrey, i know D Hise bred ABXgrey and uses the dogs to go into tight spots when the yote holes, up like in a culvert and draw them. i have also heard Ozzie doggers talk about using 3/4X w/ boxer blood as fox dogs so i can't see them being completely useless.

i agree sell the lot save your self the hassle the boxer has no place in the field and are in another way of putting it faggots.get your self a good pit or use a half cross if you want more speed. my mate has a greyhound dog and is hard as nails like i say on the land your running will be a hard dog to beat. oh and i feel sorry for the poor greyhound that bares the offspring of a boxer the poor bitch no need for that lol

SPOT ON, why f**k about with 2nd rate dogs, if you wont jaw+stamina get a good pit . ;);) they are proven+tested.??

Dont understand some people sometimes dont use this dont use that but how did you all know that the pit bull greyhound was going make a good lucher?????How do you know that a boxer greyhound wont make a good lucher do you have 1 or seen one work????There is all sorts off luchers crosses now days just some people dont like change and stick with what they know.

Wheaten,Kerryblue,Irish terrier,Pitbull,jackrussel,german shep,The pointer,foxhound,poodle,Aus kettle dog,Bull staff, etc etc some one somewhere is running one off this breeds how did we know that they where going turn out any good we dont unless someone trys it so why not the boxer????

A guy l know had one and used till chase are van going work this dog would run for 4 5 mile flat out every day till are work place and most off the breeds above just some off l can name would not be able tell do that so why not keep a pup more tell the greyhound side and see what happens what do you have loose nothing but you could gain alot :thumbs:

• 7 months later...

what makes the difference from bullx to boxerx is all in the mouth structure

boxers are notorius for having bad jaw structures

i personally would not give a cros if this type kennel space but like it was said

you might get a usfull one from the litter but imho unlikely but atb john

The only thing that boxers have done for generations is snore, mince around a show ring and die prematurley of heart attacks and cancer..................

Nobody would breed this cross intentionally but if you are keeping the litter then best o luck bit the odds of them doing anything decent in the field are slim, also you mention you are coursing coyotes? I'm sure there are fellas over there who spend there life breeding and working to maintain a good line of dogs to take coyote and even then i'm sure getting a good percentage of the litter to a acceptable standard is difficult s I guess your boxer/greys will have slim chance of turning out as coyote dogs.....................

spot on, a friend of mine likes the breed boxers and as had them, and the do get heart probs, and have HD, alot die at 8-9 years old. But the funny thing is in Oz they like to use them in the x , to hunt wild pigs. i dont know if the boxers out there are more healthy strain of boxer, but i carnt see the point of putting a dog with alot of health probs, in to make hunting dog .?? :wallbash:

From what i have seen (Pictures only) the boxers in the USA are a different animal to

the Pug faced things in the UK, theres one near me got no muzzle at all, it looks

like a chimp. Perhaps somebody could find some recent images? (of the american boxer)

Cheers

The boxers we keep are not "pug faced" more the american type like above, the bitch we have can catch on the lamp im not saying its a good lamping dog lacks some speed compared with a lamping dog but is capable of a few. Our dogs get heart scored if they have a crap heart score they dont get bred from so maybe it worth seeing if you can get your bitch heart scored but i would of thought crossing out to a greythound would improve this anyway. They are quick to learn and imo my boxer dogs learn faster than the collie lurcher i have now and are pretty much fearless compared.

atb jake

i agree the boxer is bred for protection and guarding, they was originally used in the german forces.

the english pointer has a spot of boxer dog in many many years back which has developed on and on which makes the english pointer a 'hardy dog'

if there is a boxer dog tied too a trailer in texas wether it is soft or nasty no one will dream of nicking that trailer!!

they also put boxer dog in a pig dog too add abit of hardyness.

i have a boxer dog who is a guard dog, and is basically a family dog but as mention on this topic they are fast! but i wouldnt dream about crossing one with a greyhound although id like too see how one turned out, cant see it being much different too the original bull x