small terriers?

couldnt justify having a terrier which could not be spanned where i work them.legs aint really an issue as they can fold them up.it the sitting back and waiting whilst the terrier digs on that gets to me.ive never had a terrier over 13".

what about the sitting back and waiting when your small dog cant hold the quarry for long enough in a decent sized earth?

think the perfect fox dog can get up to their quarry fairly easily,and is strong enought to see out the dig without charlie doing one ! but you woudnt get rid of a good big dog,or a good small dog . would you ??

good thread keep it going :tongue2:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always keep a handy sized terrier as well as the other terriers, they come in very handy in some of the tight places we work. The dog in the pic is only a young dog but will be a very handy size

post-19737-1242650676.jpg

Guest ROUGH COATED
been to a couple of shows this spring and is it me or are the terriers getting bigger?

some of them would struggle to get through a garage door let alone any where else.

i have a smaller patterdale terrier bitch solid as a rock but stands no more than 11" anybody else keep a smaller terrier

Heres a RUSSELL i work ,Very good terrier and shes just over 11 TTS

post-28434-1242664733.jpg

Always keep a handy sized terrier as well as the other terriers, they come in very handy in some of the tight places we work. The dog in the pic is only a young dog but will be a very handy size

Very nice russell,you can't beat a handy small'un.Do you have any pics of it's parents?

Moorman, top pic is the father. Hes 7 years old now. I had him up too about 5 months ago and gave him too a mate who lost his two terriers. Towards the end of the season he had a good few digs in with him. No pics of the bitch unfortunately but shes a nice handy bitch also

post-19737-1242680720.jpg

post-19737-1242680830.jpg

different terrier for different places, if chased foxes down rabbit holes so you need somthing tiny other wise your ganna be there all day with the fox a step ahead, for trees you need a long legged dog still spannable, and some dens you just want some big ba###rd to kill it down there and drag it out but on average id say a 13inch dog thats spanable is pretty good for most things keep up with the runners or the ute climb trees and push cover aswell as fit in any acctual den

cant post pics as i use my phone i have a patterdale which is a fair size she is handy in big earths will set there in a tight earth but takes a while but if they have the heart they will get there. I now have a russel who is very small and worked 2 reasons with our local registered hunt F&D and is a belter for bolting especially in our tight earths ie rabbit burrows. I now find the small dog very handy.