Unusual fishing-methods.........

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Makes a change from me looking the fu**ing muppet then doesnt it kermit?I am sure we can catch the odd one or two ;) Lend me your digital mask please matey,my sweater-arm is gunked up to f**k with fish slime :(

Guest friedrice
Only difference is your are a muppet :icon_eek: you removed any doubt last week when i had to do a dramatic rescue on you hours after you claimed you were half seal :clapper: :clapper:

See you soon fruit bat :D

:laugh::laugh:

i remember when we were kids , damning the burn downstream , with stones and divots , then wading down through the burn poking all the hags for salmon , they swam out and down stream , into the dammed pool of water , we then broke the damn a little to let the water out , the salmon followed, cos of the other lads splashing above , we then netted all the salmon coming through the breach in our damn, easy as pie and very productive , ingenious when we were kids.

Edited by dennned

Childhoods the besr days of our lives mate,we get up to funny things,learn who and what we are,its like a caterpillars change into a butterfly :victory: I never had an X-box or i-pod,my toys were a folding .410,lurcher,and a 100 yard gill-net :victory: Happy days huh? :yes:

We were out last night,the old heart was racing as I lay with my face pressed into the grass 20 yards from a guy who was looking for us with what seemed to be the most powerfull lamp in the world :D I will write a bit later when JOE downloads the photos ;)

was one at an old council pond......Sylica Lodge....

full of fish...bmx'es and asdas trollies!

the never came out very often but they were there.

One dry summer oxegen levels dropped nni the pond and the fish were gasping at the top......... as I walked over a small ramshackle bridge I spotted an emormous pike of about 8lb!!!!.......as a kid it was like a great white.

Anyway it just sat there with its beak just out of the water about 4 ft away so I gavee it a .177 with my old uncles webley tempest straight between the eyes.......

Funnily it didt even mark it..the fecking pellet richochet of its head and hit me under the eye cutting it slightly...ahhaha..used a rod and rell ever since

Remember reading one of my Dad's old trout fishing books.Apparently "pike are easily snared" ,a shot-gun is usefull for pike in the shallows and a .303 is effective up to a depth of three feet!

mythbusters would disagree, the smaller the calibre the deeper it will go.. fact

iv lamped salmon in a few rivers .Easy really lamp them and walk up behind em til they are in between your feet and sprong em in the head

You can actually pick up fishing spears online now from the states for less than a fiver :victory: But I always preferred the gaff as my weapon of choice to be honest :victory:

post-1930-1215790565_thumb.jpg

I guess the effective depth of the .303 (and I was only quoting the experiences mentioned in an old book) against pike is as much to do with judging the effects of refraction as the actual penetrative powers of the round.After -all , pike make a fairly narrow target.

The talk of spearing reminded me of one our brief school-holiday crazes. Catching eels with dinner forks. Little bootlaces would be stabbed with an un-modified ,straight from the cutlery -draw item. For bigger prey we had a second fork with one prong broken off. The eels did'nt actually get punctured. Being so firm and muscular they wedged between the prongs long enough to be flicked into a bucket.

just get a gill net easy simple and deadly fourinch mesh for pike fech all the nonsense or a gaff or big landing net , the strangest thing ive saw was 2 miles of gill net and sixty four boxes of salmon 8 to a box but thtas another time long before mobile phones and the laws were not as strict early eighties and late sevnties their a place in the north sea called the wistler and the salmon at this time of year is thick there three tides all at once hitting you of the fife ness big catches can be had but its dangerous and well probaly best left to history but organised you get 2 to 10gs of salmon for your week , if its a dry summer as they sit three miles of the land and more adios