a tip for you every time you get any game cut the meat of save it in the freezer till you have a few pound take it to a good butcher and let him sausage it for you i do it with everything from rooks to venison

good tip keg definately worth a go :clapper:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Suprised no one has suggested good old bunny burgers yet, we have been making all sorts of flavours recently, we have not as yet added any belly pork so they are very healthy.

Try as mentioned about the sausages, save all sorts of game, mince it all up, add whatever you fancy, ie, garlic, onions, fresh herbs, bbq rubs, the list is endless.

Regards MT.

Suprised no one has suggested good old bunny burgers yet, we have been making all sorts of flavours recently, we have not as yet added any belly pork so they are very healthy.

Regards MT.

Im very tempted to give burgers a go. Does the meat bind together ok if no fat is added?

Extreme Hunter

Group Icon

Group: Donator

Member No.: 3848

OK, dice your bunny into small bits, bout size of small finger.

Marinate it in Soya source for one hour; add chopped red chilly and garlic. Now make a mix of bread crumb, bunny get dumped into beaten eggs, rolled in the bread crumb, placed on a tray and baked for 30 mins in oven, when ready serve with salad of your choice, make sure the greens you use on the salad are fresh and crunchy.

Thanks for that irish lurcher, im going to try that this weekend.

Ive decided that because of the fact im inundated with rabbits im going to have it twice a week, a different dish each time.

Now im not the type to read recipe books and every time i do, as soon as someone mentions creme fraiche or something i just put it down, i dont know what the stuff is or where to buy it.

ive done stews and casseroles and they are ok , but im not mad keen on rabbit to be honest, so ive decided to go for easy stuff to do for a while -JARS!!

Hopefully it will inspire others who like the shooting side but not so keen on eating their kill. :big_boss:

First idea was Rabbit tika massala. I took 2 rabbits, cut off the meat in nice sized chunks while uncooked, and quickly browned them in a hot pan with a little oil. Then added a jar of Tika massala from the local supermarket and simmered for 20 mins. Boiled some rice and voila, an easy meal that tasted absolutely gorgeous. I would give it 10 out of ten for ease to make and 10 out of 10 for taste! :clapper:

The next dish was sweet and sour rabbit. Again i cut chunks off 2 uncooked rabbits, browned them and added a jar of sweet and sour from the supermarket, simmered for 20 mins and had egg noodles with it. Really easy stuff and it tasted great. :victory:

I know some of you will be cursing me for these jar meals but im hoping to inspire others like me who dont do much game cooking to start eating what theyve shot. These easy ideas leave absolutely no excuses for anyone to say they dont like to eat it, or its too much of a faff on to cook the stuff. ;)

Next its rabbit chaseur and rabbit balti.

Trappa

I'm single,I use the homepride sauces quite a bit,chasseur,or red wine are good ,the barbecue one is ok too.Rabbit is ok in mustard sauce ,sweet and sour ,chicken sauce ,curried ,you can do quite a lot with it .I fry the smaller ones ,casserole the old bucks and bake or roast the medium , and full grown does .The only trouble I find is you often need two sauces to cover the meat ,but at under a £1 it's no big deal,any left goes into the juks.You can often get the sauces two for one ,which helps if you are watching your pennies.What you save on the meat ,you can splash out on a bottle of wine or the tipple of your choice .Inan.
I'm single,I use the homepride sauces quite a bit,chasseur,or red wine are good ,the barbecue one is ok too.Rabbit is ok in mustard sauce ,sweet and sour ,chicken sauce ,curried ,you can do quite a lot with it .I fry the smaller ones ,casserole the old bucks and bake or roast the medium , and full grown does .The only trouble I find is you often need two sauces to cover the meat ,but at under a £1 it's no big deal,any left goes into the juks.You can often get the sauces two for one ,which helps if you are watching your pennies.What you save on the meat ,you can splash out on a bottle of wine or the tipple of your choice .Inan.

Its queer you say that as out of everything ive tried, and so far ive tried loads of different ways, the wine type sauces are the only ones i cant get away with. The red wine sauce with the rabbits was particularly awful.

Im barbequing it this weekend, should be fun! Ive had bbq squirrel plenty of times but not rabbit.

I'll report my findings! :clapper:

My method for rabbit curry ready meals:

1) Boil, the simmer 7 whole prepared bunnies in salted water for 2 hours untill meat falling off bones. Pick off meat.

2) In a pan put a jar of curry paste and mix in the meat.

3) When mixed add a couple of pints of water until its swimming.

4) Add some ripped up red chili's/coriander from the garden.

4) cook gently until it gets thick and looks nice!

I then take 7 plastic boxes, fill half way with cooked white rice, then put a big dollop of the bunny curry in the middle. Pop the lids on, put in the freezer and I've got lazy ready meals...

When it comes to cooking time. I put them in the microwave on defrost, then when defrosted put back in the microwave on full power until its piping...

And as above a bbq bunny has to be tried!

Im barbequing it this weekend, should be fun! Ive had bbq squirrel plenty of times but not rabbit.

I'll report my findings! :clapper:

Well the weather stopped me having a barbie :thumbdown: , so we had a traditional rabbit stew. I thought it was ok, the wife and kids liked it better than me, i could still taste that "rabbitty" taste that im not keen on. :icon_redface:

Ive decided that because of the fact im inundated with rabbits im going to have it twice a week, a different dish each time.

Now im not the type to read recipe books and every time i do, as soon as someone mentions creme fraiche or something i just put it down, i dont know what the stuff is or where to buy it.

ive done stews and casseroles and they are ok , but im not mad keen on rabbit to be honest, so ive decided to go for easy stuff to do for a while -JARS!!

Hopefully it will inspire others who like the shooting side but not so keen on eating their kill. :big_boss:

First idea was Rabbit tika massala. I took 2 rabbits, cut off the meat in nice sized chunks while uncooked, and quickly browned them in a hot pan with a little oil. Then added a jar of Tika massala from the local supermarket and simmered for 20 mins. Boiled some rice and voila, an easy meal that tasted absolutely gorgeous. I would give it 10 out of ten for ease to make and 10 out of 10 for taste! :clapper:

The next dish was sweet and sour rabbit. Again i cut chunks off 2 uncooked rabbits, browned them and added a jar of sweet and sour from the supermarket, simmered for 20 mins and had egg noodles with it. Really easy stuff and it tasted great. :victory:

I know some of you will be cursing me for these jar meals but im hoping to inspire others like me who dont do much game cooking to start eating what theyve shot. These easy ideas leave absolutely no excuses for anyone to say they dont like to eat it, or its too much of a faff on to cook the stuff. ;)

Next its rabbit chaseur and rabbit balti.

Trappa

Had mine with Sharwoods jalfrezie sauce...pure nectar! :victory:

• 2 weeks later...

my personal favorite rabbit dish is my own recipe which i call "bloody spicy rabbit an compot". take a couple of good sized rabbits (strangely i find the tough old bucks particularly good for this one), strip the meat off the bone and chuck it into the pressure cooker with the livers, kidneys, a few chopped scotch bonnet(or similar) chili peppers, a couple of cloves of garlic and a little salt. serve with a compot of veggies.

• 1 month later...
Photo of end results of rabbits shot this morning. Rabbit tikka massala!

Other photo is of the kids, they ate the lot. It doesnt get any more organic than rabbit, and its tasty too!

Trappa looks like you are paying them extra pocket money to pose for your 'indian rabbit meal',seriously some good recipes to try out though,

Higgins.