Not Even A Whiff...

Tuesday morning Austin Rollins aged 17 walked into his high school in Great Mills, Maryland carrying a Glock handgun. He opened fire on two students injuring both and critically injuring one. The school's resource officer Deputy Blaine Gaskill was stationed onsite. He heard the gunshots and engaged the shooter, exchanging rounds. The shooter is dead but there is no report as to whether he turned the gun on himself or whether Deputy Gaskill's round killed him.

It's clear that the deputy's actions prevented further harm and potential loss of life.

• Maryland has a universal background check requirement.
  • Maryland has an exhaustive application process to purchase a handgun.
  • Maryland has a law requiring handgun registration.
  • Maryland prohibits under 21's from carrying handguns (so does federal law.)
  • Maryland limits concealed carry permits.
  • Maryland doesn't recognise concealed carry reciprocity from other states.
  • Maryland prohibits carrying guns in schools.
  • Maryland prohibits discharging a firearm in public.
  • Maryland has laws against attempted murder.

Absolutely irrelevant in the United Kingdom, I know, but why isn't this story splashed all over the news when the good guy engaged the bad guy and prevailed?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, socks said:

It's been all over twitter ......

Fair one. That would explain why I hadn't seen it. I'm just curious why CNN etc hadn't reported on it.

29 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Cause it’s doesnt fit with the fact that today Americans all over the world are gathering to speak up for stricter gun control 

probably a hashtag knocking around for it somewhere 

I've seen them out today while I was at work. A couple of counter-demonstrators were holding up signs that read "Remember That Your 2nd Amendment Protects The 1st"

I understand why they're demonstrating I just don't understand why Blaine Gaskill isn't the household name that Nicholas Cruz is.

Edited by ChrisJones
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

Fair one. That would explain why I hadn't seen it. I'm just curious why CNN etc hadn't reported on it.

If what's on my news feeds is correct they did report on it..... calling the SRO "trigger happy". :laugh:

I'm taking that at face value though. I get as much pro gun conservative bullshit in my news feeds as CNN have liberal bullshit! LOL

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

If what's on my news feeds is correct they did report on it..... calling the SRO "trigger happy". :laugh:

Sounds about right from the Clinton News Network.

We can establish that existing laws didn't work up to the point where shots were fired, as the shooter decided to break them last Tuesday morning.

We can establish that a decorated LEO, with SWAT training, nullified the threat preventing mass casualties.

Thanks, Chris,  back to the studio...

Edited by ChrisJones
  • Like 1

good on the guy that shot him dead,  this lefty antifa is non stop and if they ever get total control then there will be another civil war in the us. they wont let a story in defense of guns get on the news for fear of losing their lies to ban plans

44 minutes ago, Meece said:

So whats to stop someone concealing a gun in a bit of sports kit? Inside of the see through bag or lobbing it over the school fence?

Even if he walked in plain as day, like the last time, the LEO's wouldn't engage...

What do you reckon to this Chris?

The US Congress has opened the door for America's public health institute to carry out research into mass shootings in what anti-gun campaigners declared a "major breakthrough".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/23/anti-gun-campaigners-declare-major-breakthrough-us-congress/

Establishing the facts and evidence are always positive steps in politics. I will always support that. What often worries me though is how poorly the evidence is interpreted.

4 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

What do you reckon to this Chris?

Establishing the facts and evidence are always positive steps in politics. I will always support that. What often worries me though is how poorly the evidence is interpreted.

No real issue with it, to be honest, although with the Trump administration cutting funding to all kinds of research at the minute I doubt this would surface until there is another democrat in the WH. If the CDC wants to consolidate the data then so be it. I'd really like to see that data consolidated with vehicle collisions, drug overdoses and how many deaths are interwoven with depression and suicide.

Interpretation of the facts is always going to the issue. From the fact that public sector completely failed to prevent the Parkland shooting despite being gifted every possible reason to intervene all the way to the fact that Blaine Gaskill prevented a mass shooting and how Maryland's strong anti-gun laws didn't really prevent anything. Personal interpretation is why this thread is only 15 posts as opposed to 15 pages.

Edited by ChrisJones
Clarity