This was a strange buck. I have some permission on a small farm owned by two of the best people I've ever met. So, when I stop by to visit the conversation runs pretty long. This means I get set up late in my stand. I use a climber so this has to be packed out and set up. I was sitting on the corner of standing corn, and the wood lot. There were just enough acorns falling to maybe entice a few deer to leave the corn. About 20 minutes into my sit I saw this guy and I thought I would pass. But he lingered in the area and attacked every deer that tried to cross from the corn to the acorns. We are talking maybe 6 or 7 deer. As the light faded he moved to the corner of the corn and made a scrape. That's all I could take. So, I slowly stood up and as quietly as I could I switched around so I was facing the tree and could shoot to the corn side. Well just then he moved off and jumped a fence to the neighboring property. Then he jumped back and seemed to be following my trail past my blind? So, as quietly as I could I slowly turned around yet again facing into the wood lot. As soon as I was in position there he was and I let fly. I heard a perfect thwack and he jumped like he should and ran about 30 feet to the edge of the corn. There he attacked another deer I had not seen and simply stood there. After I while I got to thinking I screwed up somehow and better shoot him again. Sooo, I rummaged around in my pockets as quietly as I could and found My pull cord. (I'm using a crossbow) and pulled another bolt from my quiver. I had to raise my 57 yo old leg up and over the rifle rest on my stand and insert my foot in the brace to pull the string back to cock it. No sooner had I pulled it back and he bolted into the corn. (I hate corn) I heard him tearing up things in there and thought great he attacking another deer. But it was his death throws and I found him without too much trouble.

This was my first ever gut shot so I did screw up.

002.JPG

• Like 6

I bet it felt big enough when you were bragging it out along with the treestand and your other gear!

The shot placement is unfortunate but you didn’t screw up - the deer is still dead and in the back of your truck. Nice work.

• Like 2

Looks good,what crossbow and broadhead are you using mickey?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yokel Matt said:

I bet it felt big enough when you were DRAGGING it out along with the treestand and your other gear!

Unfortunate predictive text fail! Can’t seem to edit my post.

• Like 1

In the States myself recently with outdoor tv on in the evenings .We miss out on the bow hunting here tbh .Some say it's wrong but from what I've seen no different to rifle shooting .Thanks for posting mate and please keep us supplied regular as it's good to see other hunting methods .Do you shoot many turkeys there .Looked into a hunt myself in Florida ,Oceola County but they wanted $2500 for a 2 day hunt for one bird lol.

We arnt  used to paying for shooting here unless it's on an estate. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I use a Darton viper along with  Rage broadheads.

Foxdropper, I'd say the crossbow is similar to a rifle and just as accurate. Mine has an excellent trigger and seems quite enough that I don't get deer jumping at the release. As for Turkey's we have quite a few here but I don't hunt them often.

Edited by Mickey Finn
  • Like 1

I should have been a bit more observant mickey,i just noticed the rage packaging under the bucks head :)

• Like 1