Looking For A Small Lurcher/breeder

Hello

We have a (nearly) for month old Beddie/Whippet and it was always my intention to keep 2.

Does anyone know of anyone who might have pups for sale in from October onwards, or know any breeders of small lurchers? I found 1 breeder, but had a bit of a weird experience with them.

My husband thinks that 56cm is enough (but he would, hur hur) so it probably needs to be a whippet x rather than greyhound x

It doesn't need to work or do anything really other than be a pet and tolerate my kid. (It will be looked after responsibly and exercised and we have a garden etc) Does need to have a rough coat and ideally be a boy.

Thank you

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Either way a good pet home beats a w@nky working home I no which one id send a pup to

Lurcher link dogs trust give a poor dog a loving home

There's a guy round the corner from me who's got a litter at the moment, he's about 5ft 1ins if that helps.

Hello

We have a (nearly) for month old Beddie/Whippet and it was always my intention to keep 2.

Does anyone know of anyone who might have pups for sale in from October onwards, or know any breeders of small lurchers? I found 1 breeder, but had a bit of a weird experience with them.

My husband thinks that 56cm is enough (but he would, hur hur) so it probably needs to be a whippet x rather than greyhound x

It doesn't need to work or do anything really other than be a pet and tolerate my kid. (It will be looked after responsibly and exercised and we have a garden etc) Does need to have a rough coat and ideally be a boy.

Thank you

Close door on your way out that's a good lass

@troyboy17 I think Navek was talking to me. I was fairly braced for hunting types not giving me the time of day because I am not also a hunting type but I was vaguely hoping that a fellow 'dog person' would be prepared to be civil.

As far as choice of dog is concerned, pretty well every dog has a 'purpose' and most of them don't get to fulfil it. My horse is 'for' bullfighting but somehow she manages to survive doing English horse sports instead. I have even heard of isolated cases of families owning Labradors that aren't used for retrieving game. As a family we chose lurchers because yes, my husband likes the look of them (hence the 'rough coat' piece) but initially we started down the 'sighthound' path because of their famous runs-around-a-lot-then-lies-down qualities. As I say, the existing dog is well exercised (and the vet couldn't believe how fit he is for his age) but we're not part of any lamping/hunting 'set' (and frankly, I'm not feeling encouraged down that path at the moment). He's showing zero interest in rabbits so far but he's only young. We have space for him to chase them if he wants to.

Anyway, per original question, if anyone knows any breeders of small, not-necessarily-working-stock lurchers I'd be delighted to hear from them. If not, you'll probably not hear from me again so there's no need to get the pitchforks out.

• Like 4

Lurcher link dogs trust give a poor dog a loving home

I have contacted basically all of the rescues. Some just aren't interested due to the 5 year old child and lack of 6' fences (a bit of a weird one on 5 acres).

In addition - whilst I would be willing to rehome just about anything, my husband isn't and wants a small rough-coated lurcher. The rescues that were willing to talk to me at all have told me (and my hawk-eyed watch of them has bourn this out) this sort of dog is very highly sought-after and the waiting list extends to literally hundreds of people.