So. To set the scene. My old man used to shoot for the county of Leicestershire in the 50's with a .22 BSA martini international. This is has been the principal rifle that got me into shooting so long ago and one I never thought I'd pass by. So, being in his early 80's I get him up for the weekend now and then. This morning we head over to a local RFD to get some paper targets and a tin or so of pellets. We get chatting as normal to the owner of the shop. "Me dad used to shoot an old BSA intern.... yeah, I've got one on the shelf over there..." to cut a long story short.

So I want this rifle. Not necessarily to shoot, more so to own for obvious reasons of nostalgia.

I don't have my titcket, but I'm willing to apply for it to own the rifle. I'd shoot it at a local range. The shop owner says I can buy it now, for them to keep for me to take away when I have the paperwork. Fine. But.

A friend of mine has plenty of rifles on his ticket, could, legally, I get him to buy the rifle, I give him the cash, and I shoot it on his land with him about? So technically the rifle is on his papers, on his land, but between friends I own it? I not trying to get by the law, I just want to get this rifle asap.

How may it work? It's not a big old bullet course but understand laws are laws and I want this purchase.

Before you say it, I know I should apply for my ticket. Answered me own question a bit there.

• Like 1

It'd be easy enough to apply for your own ticket, but there's no reason why your friend can't put it on his (assuming he has a slot available for that calibre) in the meantime. Shooting "his" gun on his land would be perfectly legal as long as he was with you and you have permission to shoot there.

It'd be easy enough to apply for your own ticket, but there's no reason why your friend can't put it on his (assuming he has a slot available for that calibre) in the meantime. Shooting "his" gun on his land would be perfectly legal as long as he was with you and you have permission to shoot there.

Cheers admin.

So say that happens... how would I go about getting the rifle off him when my own paper work comes through? Simple buy sell show ticket etc? Apologies, I don't deal in "real FA".

• Like 1

Cheers admin.

So say that happens... how would I go about getting the rifle off him when my own paper work comes through? Simple buy sell show ticket etc? Apologies, I don't deal in "real FA".

When you get your own ticket, he fills in the details on yours and you both notify your firearms teams of the transaction - make, model, serial number etc. It's really as simple as that.

up to you six and half a dozen if you think the shop would hold it for you no problem but it takes time to get your ticket threw and they might let it go get your mate to put it on his ticket it may take up to six months for some police forces to get there finger out

First of all your mate will have to apply for a variation on his firearms . I'm just assuming he hasn't got an authorisation to acquire one . If he already has one he will have to show good cause to own a second . The police seem reluctant to issue a licence for rifles of the same caliber . Best bet is to apply for your own .

I spent many a year with the classic .22 Martini, I suspect many here know it well, then my club bought a Bolt Action, Anschutz, it was early 70's and probably very few in the UK at the time, chalk and cheese!

Don't get me wrong, the Martini really is a gem, and virtually indestructible so fill your boots, but in relation to your comment about using it on your friends land, you won't be walking far carrying one of these!

ATB!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Go for it Rez, when the boys come round to see you, I will sit in for you because they will never give you a ticket if they see you :boogy:

Just have words with your perm owners to see if they have been contacted before to have firearms used on their land or ask if you can do so mate. If the land is already approved, no issue, no visit needed by the police as the grant for the land is on record. My perms already had approval so piece of cake.

Get an FAC air slot as well while you are at it as that will have great appeal to you, then you can buy my Rapid 22 fac.

Phil

Edited by philpot

Forget it Bud.

You don't have somewhere to us it, it's not a shotgun so your 'mate' with loads of guns has no way of buying

it for you as he won't have a 'spare' slot on his FAC for a .22 (and if he did he most likely wouldn't want to

'spend it' on you).

Anyway look a 22 target rifle has no viable or practical use outside of that application, certainly not in some

farmers field.

REALITY CHECK: If you want to shoot you will need, somewhere to shoot, a gun cabinet, an acceptable person to

sign off your FAC application, and you will be required to 'jump through hoops of fire ' with your local police,

oh and be 'squeaky clean' in terms of past history.

It's not easy owning guns in the UK, but if your straight and really want too you can.

AF

• Like 1