Had a call about a lamb taker.

I hung around in the bitter cold wind away from the ewes and lambs then just on dark inched my way to the wood enclosed field.

Bang on queue out she came, it was the ewes that told me she was in the field.

She made her way towards me but at 100 yds went back in the woods.

After I was convinced she was out the way I got in a darker spot and gave a good rabbit squeal.

It was a few minutes later when I noticed the ewes looking at the wood again!

This time by the time I shouldered the rifle she had come down to a nice 59 paces.

Job done and home for a brew and bed zzzz.

IMG_20170425_212206222_zpshipxrdgz.jpg

U.

• Like 2

There are several considerations to consider.

First is, I have never been successful at asking a fox for its sex before shooting.

Second, I don't like the reaction of farmers when I tell them they have to continue feeding cubs.

Third, I don't have an issue with others shooting milky squirrels, rabbits or rats and not showing any consideration for any lactating young.

Fourth, the cubs in this case most probably have pa and an aunt to fall back on. They are not reliant on milk by the end of April.

An ancient proverb, "let he who is without blame cast the first stone".

U.

• Like 4

I wasnt criticizing you i was asking an honest question .

However your reply is a defence of your action of shooting a fox ,which ends with " let he who without blame cast the first stone " so are you saying you have " sinned " another ancient proverb .

your first reply " shoot them " was fine, i pressume pictures of the cubs as the vixen would appear you may even get lucky and bag their aunt .

• Like 1

Good vixen, good tail on it, you always have to consider the fact, when there taking lambs they Need to be taken out, but I hate doing it, without a backup plan to take out / deal with the cubs, but a lamb killer can cause carnage in a short space of time, you will have to do your homework and find them now,

• Like 1

Nice one, no need to feel you need to explain about dealing with cubs after shooting a vixen after lambs either, bet those taking the moral high ground but " not criticising " don't go digging if they shoot a milky rabbit which may have dependant young or go looking for a nest if they knock a pigeon over.