If the police ever do pull an air gun I was told they can only test it with the pellets " THE OWNER was using in it when pulled ".

If you get my drift :angel:

atb Mark

I would imagine they would use whatever pellet they wanted.......
Can't work you out Archie :D One one hand you have a bird eating a donut from between her pins, and on the other, a signnature containing a care home promo for you people.

Like it.

Nothing wrong with donuts,:laugh:, Grace House is my chosen charity this year, I will be competing in The Great North Run this year on their behalf.:yes:

• Like 5

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing wrong with donuts,, Grace House is my chosen charity this year, I will be competing in The Great North Run this year on their behalf.

Well I`m not arguing lads, not at all but that rule leaves a very bad taste to me.   Judge - right officer Dibble you caught mr smith shooting on the verge of his permission and not his

Worked out how the odd pellet seemed to go the over limit after reading some old posts on here about pellet size and manufacturing tolerance. . . Think it was pianoman old post that got me thinking.

Posted Images

Why Archie ?

That would be false evidence and a false conviction,- surely ?

If by using a differant pellet they can put the gun over the legal limit, then you can do the same...

Well I`m not arguing lads, not at all but that rule leaves a very bad taste to me.

Judge - right officer Dibble you caught mr smith shooting on the verge of his permission and not his permissioned land with a loaded air gun ?

Dibble - yes judge, he was legally on his permission but we thought we`d confiscate his rifle anyway and test it`s power with the pellets he was using and found it to be putting out a perfectly legal 11.2 ft/lbs - HOW EVER judge after trying several batches of pellets to do our BEST TO DO HIM we found that jsb heavies - with this gun- proved to be over the limit !

Judge ,- was he using JSB heavies Dibble ?

Dibble,- NO JUDGE !

Judge ,- ah well feck him anyway - go to prison.

Not right is it ?

atb Mark

• Like 3

There's a good point mark.

But there has to be some "safe ground power wise" with any pellet and with the rifle set up. If mr smiths gun was producing 11.8 with his chosen pellet, on his land or not, the rifle is legal, but when plod spits out magnums, it's doing 12.3, it's illegal. As soon as that rifle has broken that barrier, it's a 'real' firearm and they'll bend mr smith over. It would be nice to think they'll just pass the rifle back and say... "make sure you use your chosen pellet..." but that will never happen.

There is a blurry line really as you quite rightly point out. But they can't be arsed anyway, so it's all gravy :D

• Like 2

And there ends the reason why under powered guns are being sold to us.

"Poor laws"

MR Smith was driving a Nissan micra when pulled by officer Dibble.

Judge - was the twat speeding Dibble ?

Dibble - no judge, he was doing 28 mph in a 30 zone, he was fine !

Judge,- why is he before me ?

Dibble,- he has a fecking Spitfire plane engine in it !!!

Judge,- ah that`s different,- " put him in prison anyway because had he wanted to, he could have speeded"

Bad taste and wrong, sorry.( for me)

Laws the law i suppose.

atb Mark

• Like 2

And there ends the reason why under powered guns are being sold to us.

"Poor laws"

MR Smith was driving a Nissan micra when pulled by officer Dibble.

Judge - was the twat speeding Dibble ?

Dibble - no judge, he was doing 28 mph in a 30 zone, he was fine !

Judge,- why is he before me ?

Dibble,- he has a fecking Spitfire plane engine in it !!!

Judge,- ah that`s different,- " put him in prison anyway because had he wanted to, he could have speeded"

Bad taste and wrong, sorry.( for me)

Laws the law i suppose.

atb Mark

Indeed.

There's a good point mark.

But there has to be some "safe ground power wise" with any pellet and with the rifle set up. If mr smiths gun was producing 11.8 with his chosen pellet, on his land or not, the rifle is legal, but when plod spits out magnums, it's doing 12.3, it's illegal. As soon as that rifle has broken that barrier, it's a 'real' firearm and they'll bend mr smith over. It would be nice to think they'll just pass the rifle back and say... "make sure you use your chosen pellet..." but that will never happen.

There is a blurry line really as you quite rightly point out. But they can't be arsed anyway, so it's all gravy :D

With so many different pellet weights and types available imo the 12ft lb limit would be more workable it there was a set pellet weight and type Not to exceed the limit.

It's like telling you not to speed in certain areas but not telling you where those areas are and only that they are there, not everyone is going to know what certain pellets do in there barrel.

Also think feet per second would work better than ft lb. but that's just imo

Another point would be foot pound how old is that law anyway?

Feet and pound measurements went down with the dinosaurs Lol

Not with going out of europe now :boogy:

You better be joking VM because or I will loose all respect for you mate. I measure in miles, yards, feet and inches and asked for cash in pounds shillings and pence.

Europe a good Greek word but misused now.

All the best to you and yours

Edited by just-A-snap

If the police have a rifle tested at a lab (which most do and have to pay for) the "lab" will use the heaviest pellets they have (in a pcp) usually Bis magnums, I have even heard a horror story (although I have no way of knowing if its true) of the rifle being tampered with to make it go over the limit, after all the law says "must not be capable of exceeding the 12ftlb limit" hence why a lot of rifles come out around 10.8 ftlbs, margin for error built in so to speak.

• Like 2

Thinking about it then, if say I got a new, I dunno, AA 410, and it was doing 11.8 from factory, I could potentially contact the old bill that I could potentially have a been sold a firearm...

Just a thought.

I see in Airgun editorials and such, reviews of certain rifles... in the specifications list on the review they often note down the power, some are indeed 11.8... logic says that they could be over.

Yes indeed, but I would strongly suggest that whatever maker (certainly one in this country) will have tested the rifle with a heavy pellet to make sure it does not go over, I dont know if its the case still, but Daystate always state that their rifles are tested with bis magnums, hence most doing 10.5 ish with a light pellet, and 11+ with bis mags, that said I have seen new rifles fitted with anti tamper, doing over the limit with heavy pellets, not by much, but nevertheless still over, food for thought.

Yes indeed, but I would strongly suggest that whatever maker (certainly one in this country) will have tested the rifle with a heavy pellet to make sure it does not go over, I dont know if its the case still, but Daystate always state that their rifles are tested with bis magnums, hence most doing 10.5 ish with a light pellet, and 11+ with bis mags, that said I have seen new rifles fitted with anti tamper, doing over the limit with heavy pellets, not by much, but nevertheless still over, food for thought.

Daystate sent a test sheet back to me with the regal saying , tested with daystate sovereigns 8.4 gr a low of 11.4 high of 11.8 average of 11.6 .

With those figures a jsb heavies would be over 12.

I tested with my chronograph and one at rfd and the DS pellets 8.4 still only putting out 10.8 . On other forums there has been post after post on daystate exaggerated test sheets !!

• Like 2