Predator Metalmag .177

Si recently sent me a sample of these to try - Cheers Si :thumbs:

These are the metal tipped version of the Polymags and, they look like nasty little buggers.

The .177 Polymags worked well for me out to 40yrds in my old HW100kt but, at beyond 50yrds, they were all over the place.

It got me wondering if the slightly heavier nose on the Metalmags would help them fly straighter for longer :hmm:

I took the Impact GSX100, a bunch of targets, the Metalmags and, the bonus .177 H&N Sniper Lights that Si also sent down to Black Cat today.......

The weather was pretty good - dry, not cold and, a little bit of wind.

I set the first target out at 35yrds With some 100mm Shoot-N-Cs stuck on.

I put 10 shots of my usual pellet, JSB Heavy, into the target on the right as a benchmark.

Next up was the Sniper Light at the top left target. The 10 shots at this were all over the place.

I tried a few full mags but, it was clear that my rifle doesn't like these :no:

Next, at the bottom left target, was the Metalmags. They were just a little too long to fit in my mag but, the GSX100 has a Rapid style block with the cut out for single loading :thumbs:

The grouping from these showed promise with 3 pellets going slightly away from the rest.

post-102688-0-09319200-1487528531_thumb.jpg

post-102688-0-12817000-1487528545_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

that pigeon looks a bit worse for where just put the photon on the 510 jon gonna have a crack at the rabbits tonight with the metals after a wee bit of rat bashing!! the sniper light's are shite i

Si recently sent me a sample of these to try - Cheers Si   These are the metal tipped version of the Polymags and, they look like nasty little buggers.   The .177 Polymags worked well for me out

Here's some quick 5 shot groups for a bit of comparison - Metalmags first, then the regular Polymags, then Polymag shorts on the bottom.   The Polymag shorts gave a much tighter group - as good as m

Posted Images

Bearing in mind how the Polymags performed before, I decided to push a target out to 50yrds.

Again, the groups opened out.

I guess I could attribute a little of the movement to wind around the trees down range but, to be honest, I think the design of the Polymags and Metalmags makes the pellet unstable as it slows.

The Metalmags were hitting the steel plate behind my target hard - there was a different sound to a regular lead diablo - I reckon these could make an awesome squirrel basher out to 40yrds :thumbs:

Also, I think they'd be very useful at FAC velocities :yes:

post-102688-0-41997300-1487529535_thumb.jpg

I tried them in my 100 in comparison to the polymags last year jon.

There was very little to choose between the 2 like you said out to 40 yards but in my 100 the metal mags hit harder.

I didn't get chance to hunt with them as I took the 100 out with the polymags and had 2 runners from headshots at the 40 yard mark which made me think they just hadn't got the punch needed so I went back to bis mags but the metal mags will have a bit more clout down range.

• Like 1

I tried them in my 100 in comparison to the polymags last year jon.

There was very little to choose between the 2 like you said out to 40 yards but in my 100 the metal mags hit harder.

I didn't get chance to hunt with them as I took the 100 out with the polymags and had 2 runners from headshots at the 40 yard mark which made me think they just hadn't got the punch needed so I went back to bis mags but the metal mags will have a bit more clout down range.

That's not good :hmm: but, I can see how that could happen - like the Baracuda Hunter Extreme, I don't think sub 12 gives enough velocity for these to hit and expand as intended.

I do like testing pellets but, I've yet to find anything that comes close to a good ol' lead diablo.

• Like 1

that pigeon looks a bit worse for where :laugh:

just put the photon on the 510 jon

gonna have a crack at the rabbits tonight with the metals after a wee bit of rat bashing!!

the sniper light's are shite in the 510 as well, they'll do for the kids to pink with in the garden :laugh:

took the 95 to the camp site to re zero yesterday after swapping the scopes around, only took a tin of the h&n hunters as i wanted something i new grouped well with a bit of welly!

five shots at 40yrd then i got distracted by incoming meals

post-102306-0-61807800-1487583282_thumb.jpg

post-102306-0-72279700-1487583297_thumb.jpg

let you know how the metals get on with the rats n rabbits tomorrow :thumbs:

atb si

• Like 5

........ This one fell foul of the Polymags last year :yes:

He landed on an rsj right above my target as I was finishing a 40yrd grouping test :good:

Nice headshot there jon.

Thas what I didn't understand about the polymags.

I had a couple of maggies and a woody from 30 yards max and it was lights out and then the 2 runners the next day.

It was a shame as my barrel liked them.

• Like 1

that pigeon looks a bit worse for where :laugh:

just put the photon on the 510 jon

gonna have a crack at the rabbits tonight with the metals after a wee bit of rat bashing!!

the sniper light's are shite in the 510 as well, they'll do for the kids to pink with in the garden :laugh:

took the 95 to the camp site to re zero yesterday after swapping the scopes around, only took a tin of the h&n hunters as i wanted something i new grouped well with a bit of welly!

five shots at 40yrd then i got distracted by incoming meals

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender_1.jpg

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender.jpg

let you know how the metals get on with the rats n rabbits tomorrow :thumbs:

atb si

510,,,510,,,,510 :icon_eek:

MY 510,,,,YOU NEVER ASK,D PERMISSION

IV A SIGNED CONTRACT :rtfm:

AND IT STATES YOU HAVE TO ASK ME ON BEND,ED KNEES TO USE

MY 510 :angry2:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh::tongue2:;)

have a good one SI