• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Joe1888

Joe1888

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:40 pm

am looking to start using the long net this season, ive no real experience with them, mostly purse nets... ill be using them on grouse moors, hills,  and hedge rows?? if possible..

what would experienced long netters recommend for a novice..??

#2 Sirblessed

Sirblessed

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:50 am

Quicksets are idiot proof,  even I can use them, and there is a few videos online on how to use them. Speak to Nels0n on this forum he will get you sorted.

• peeps_76, sprockerjay and Joe1888 like this

#3 johnrthrfrd

johnrthrfrd

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:37 am

As said quick sets are idiot proof got all mine from nelson his nets and baskets are first class I'm just about to order another 50 yarder me self.
  • Joe1888 and Sirblessed like this

#4 The one

The one

Honorary Life President of the THL New Member Welcoming Committe

• Donator
  • 39,069 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:36 pm

Just because your nets 50 yards long you dont need to use it all just use as much as you need or can handle and leave the rest rolled up 

• Joe1888 likes this

#5 lllluke1

lllluke1

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:17 pm

Couple of 5 yard stop nets work a treat

• Tiercel, terryd and Joe1888 like this

#6 W. Katchum

W. Katchum

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:25 pm

Couple of 5 yard stop nets work a treat

Get more use than anything else we got whilst ferreting hedges
  • Tiercel and NELS0N like this

#7 Joe1888

Joe1888

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:08 pm

quite like the idea of using them on hedge rows,  take it you guys still use some purse nets to help with the odd hole hopper?

• W. Katchum likes this

#8 Wideboy

Wideboy

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 973 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:25 pm

Nelson will sort you out, when I bought mine off him, he told me to have a 50 and two 25 yards, instead of 100 straight. It was the best way to go. I do a lot on grouse moors with big warrens, you need plenty of net. The burnt heather can be a pain in the arse with the long net getting caught, I went for 4oz as I do a bit on arable land as well. If I was just on the hills it would be no lest than 6oz. Where in Scotland are you bud?

• Joe1888 likes this

#9 Joe1888

Joe1888

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:24 pm

I did pm him a few days ago, dont think hes been on yet. 10 miles south of edinburgh  :thumbs:

• Wideboy likes this

#10 The one

The one

• Donator
  • 39,069 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:11 am

Only time i ever truly used a long net was at a railway banking at Perth ran three long nets along the top and put down five hundred purse nets most where caught in the purse nets but the few that went over the top where caught up in the longnets . there wasnt so many holes at the back and we just ferreted those into the longnets . 

always thought it would be handy running a couple of nets down the middle of that ground at Montrose though Joe ?.

#11 Joe1888

Joe1888

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:58 pm

would have been mate, always next time  :thumbs:

#12 Fat-Ferret

Fat-Ferret

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:18 pm

Only time i ever truly used a long net was at a railway banking at Perth ran three long nets along the top and put down five hundred purse nets most where caught in the purse nets but the few that went over the top where caught up in the longnets . there wasnt so many holes at the back and we just ferreted those into the longnets . 

always thought it would be handy running a couple of nets down the middle of that ground at Montrose though Joe ?.

Five hundred purse nets?
  • jok likes this

#13 The one

The one

• Donator
  • 39,069 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:13 am

Five hundred purse nets?

Aye most hole hopped and you needed the purse nets to pick them up the long nets only picked the ones that went over the top , had many a great day out there with guys off of here and there ferrets used to fire in a dozen and when the rabbits started moving put more in till we often had twenty ferrets working away

#14 peeps_76

peeps_76

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:04 am

Quicksets are idiot proof,  even I can use them, and there is a few videos online on how to use them. Speak to Nels0n on this forum he will get you sorted.

great advice

i recently started using long nets for ferreting and there a superb addition to the equipment.  gat some shorter nets rather than one big long one though more versatile that way!!

enjoy

cheers P

• Sirblessed likes this

#15 bobhow

bobhow

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:37 am

i like to use 25 yard nets on hedge rows with a few stop nets running through the hedge as you work up the hedge lift the first net and put it in front of the last net if there are a lot of holes and you dont have enough purses nets to cover all the holes cover a hole then miss a hole this will stop hole hoping

• Phil Lloyd, Joe1888 and W. Katchum like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users