I feel half guilty for posting this as I'm sure it's been done to death but well the forum is hardly buzzing with activity so f**k it. :D

If we put aside the obvious choices Swaro and Leica what's the stalking fraternities thoughts?

I quite fancy Vortex. I'm seeing them about a bit in the hands of various folks in the media but not exactly able to sit and trial all these brands and models. Anybody any experience? Vortex Viper, Vulture, Talon?

I've two lines of thought on this, other than expense. On the one hand it's a standard belief that "you need performance dawn and dusk!", on the other when I am out dawn and dusk, for the short time it makes a difference I'm static and quite frankly it's no hardship to just rely on my 8x56 Swaro bolted on the rifle. :hmm:

The real benefit I see to having bins is when actually spot-stalking, either on foot or in a vehicle, which is generally done in reasonable light.........

On the other hand I was given one suggestion to buy a compact pair from one of the top brands, which are more reasonably priced, will perform as good as the more mid range brands and have the benefit of just slipping in my pocket. Rifle, sticks, bins, it's all just more shit to piss me off when stalking. LOL

Soooo f**k knows! LOL

My mate bought his vortex bins round not long ago, 10x42, got to be honest, side by side I honestly couldn't tell the difference visually between them.and my Swarovski El's. It was middle of the day mind you but we were watching packs of teal dabble at the foreshore and flying over the saltings and like I say they were definitely on a par. So much so that if I didn't already have the EL's I would seriously consider a pair of Vortex myself.

• Like 2

In fact Vortex do a monocular that I have heard good things about, I think it's around £80 I am probably going to get one of them for stalking in shit weather in tight cover, at the moment I leave the bins in the van but I could have that little monocular in my pocket and have the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

If they weren't as good dawn and dusk as your scope is that any hardship... That's the way around you want it really. No sense being able to spot a deer in your bins and then not be abke to pick it out in the scope...

And like you say if it's that dark, you ain't going to be moving much anyway...

If they weren't as good dawn and dusk as your scope is that any hardship... That's the way around you want it really. No sense being able to spot a deer in your bins and then not be abke to pick it out in the scope...

And like you say if it's that dark, you ain't going to be moving much anyway...

Exactly my thinking mate.

I don't suppose you know which model your mates vortex were? Viper maybe?

Good point on the after sales service, it'd be something I'd have to research if seriously considering them.

They are a bit cheaper than Sussex' suggestion of nikon. 650 is second hand leica money and a bit much really. But a valued suggestion nonetheless.

Surely bins are like scopes ? Not every pair are suited to our eyes ? My mate kept raving about his ones, when I looked through I thought they were shite and my £30 pair are better.

I want a new pair, and have been told the Nikon monarch are a good set albeit budget priced, interested to know more about the monocular

Don't go out your way mate. I won't have bought anything in two weeks so if you do find out and remember this thread I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

I can almost guarantee that I will have forgotten about it in two weeks time but if you Pm me or post on this thread it will email Me and remind me.

Some time after the 15th of May.

I have a pair of Leica's and Swarovski's, As good as they are, I've had a few peeps through a pair of Vortex Razors that a friend had bought whilst in the US and they were nigh on as good. Only a lack of sharpness at the edge of the image and in the last few minutes of light gave the difference.

• Like 1