Weihrauch 97K Tuning

Hi, does anyone know of any good tuners for my HW97K .177 in 12ft lbs. I am based in east Anglia and have watched various videos of a guy called "shooting at dawn" on you tube all of which are excellent. I really like work he has shown done by Nick gibney, if anyone has any contact details for him that they wish to share that would be great, or if you know of anyone local to me please share. My 97 is a great gun but I'm looking just to tighten things up just a bit more. I have fitted V-Mach kits to my HW80 but find it just recoils a lot harder.

I'm really interested to hear of anyone's experiences of tuning HW's, or recommendations of anyone good, even if they are not that local to me. Any feedback would be great.

Many thanks

All you need to do on a HW97 is a good polish and re grease IMO . I had a V-mach kit in my .177 97 in the end took it out ,now it shoots the best it has done and with only about 4fps spread over 20 pellets ,which was checked to day and i did it my self :thumbs:

• Like 4

Hi Chris

If you are shooting competitions HFT/FT and the like,I would get your rifle tuned professionally.

If you are using it for plinking/hunting then a strip down replace top hat and guide for plastic/delrin.

de-grease every part,de- burr all component parts ,Polish internally/ piston and compression tube,trigger strip down and fettle. Regrease and put back together.

Put over a chrono,and if it's ok you are ready to go again,it's fairly easy to do just having the tools to do it.you will be surprised what a difference it will make.

However I have shot a Nick Gibney tune and it's really nice to shoot,lock time is quick recoil is a nudge and to say it like a lazier accurate,plus it's a simple fix just take out the old and drop in the kit,prior to some lubes.

Or you could send it to Sandwell field sports for a tune.

• Like 2

This thread is about Wonky Donkey http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/336961-wonky-donkey/

I would be very tempted to send one of my guns off but I prefer to be independent, no matter how long it takes to get round to it.

If you do something yourself, you get the satisfaction and a better understanding, plus it can really open up that enthusiasm for projects.

Also, none of it is very hard, like most things it is care and attention

I am not a Gruffalo Griff but I do like to play as I think everyone should. This generation is a disappointment. Look at the previous generations of shed and garage activity, whereas most of your peers watch TV and get someone in.

rant rant

• Like 3

Thanks for the reply guys, I am mainly hunting with it to be honest. I just bought a HW80k second hand and I already have another one but I bought this one cheap as it has broken main spring and a few other dubious mods! A quick question though do all 80's need to have a piston sleeve. I am looking at dropping in a TBT kit but they don't come with a sleeve like v Mach?

thanks

Can't imagine the 80 would 'need' a piston sleeve as such but it might smooth things out a bit.

My 99 as standard got worse the more I did to it.

I fitted a ptfe piston sleeve which fit just right but it caused the cocking arm to rub abrasively on the slot. Tbt kit didn't do much either, the delrin guide was just as loose as the factory one which was very disappointing.

In the end it's had a polish and relube and does coincidentally 4fps over 20 shots with ease with RWS hobbies, I'm feeding her RWS superfields now though at about 5 fps.

Something to consider is cal. .22 is that bit sweeter in a springer, as much to say I wouldn't buy a .177 springer again. The tuned guns you mentioned with little recoil may well be .22 ;)

Hw97k 22

full v,mach kit

v,mach safety

welsh willy trigger

full de,grease

full polish and i mean full polish

result ,,,, next to no recoil

smooth to cock

and smooth to shoot

and as accurate as feck out to some good distances

mind the v,mach did send her up to 14and a half ftb

witch did need sorted

but once it was it was still as good and still as accurate

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 3

The Nick Gibney once over... my god. Like my god.

Shot one at my local club, and it was an old 97 [extended muzzle]. You know when you want it when you take a few shots and your smiling as you pass it back to the owner.