Putanges - Any More For Any More?

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1st ones in the bag [/url]

I have 2 spare setting tools free to good home   I made 1 as I lose things often and made extra. anybody wanting one let me know

accident and emergency`s all over the country will be full of middle aged men all with odd bits of wire clamped onto their fingers/hands/bellie fat/other protruding out body parts

Posted Images

I reckon that a week next Saturday will be like Christmas Morning. :laugh:

You aren't joking! I've just found out I'm coming across Thursday to Saturday next week, if you fancy a quick spin up to Brittany I'll save you carrying one parcel, lol.

Incidentally, I checked a job this morning where I had two putanges in one hole, both had caught in exactly the same way, and I do mean exactly! Directly behind the head and left paw forward, if the customer hadn't been there I would have photographed it.

I reckon that a week next Saturday will be like Christmas Morning. :laugh:

You aren't joking! I've just found out I'm coming across Thursday to Saturday next week, if you fancy a quick spin up to Brittany I'll save you carrying one parcel, lol.

Incidentally, I checked a job this morning where I had two putanges in one hole, both had caught in exactly the same way, and I do mean exactly! Directly behind the head and left paw forward, if the customer hadn't been there I would have photographed it.

I'll be in Angleterre while you are over here. I get on the overnight ferry from Zeebrugge to Hull on Tuesday. :D

Most of my Putange trapped moles are caught that way. Don't know if it is always the left leg, I doubt it, but they are almost allways reaching forward and are trapped in the neck. It is rare to have anything caught behind the shoulders. Very rarely I might get a wrist capture.

I started a job on Monday where the customer had still got twelve traps out :blink: mainly Scissors with a few Duffus types and all been there weeks with no success. I had a bad feeling of trap shy moles, but put two Duffus, two Talpex and five Putanges out, a 2 and a 3. This morning there was a mole in each of the two Putange sites. Job done! And later, at the same trap site where I'd put those 3 Putanges in the video I had another victim. In fact I had four moles today from three jobs, all in the French traps. :boogy:

Just been out to the local suppliers and there are no pliers or setting levers to be had. I still have some levers to include free with any orders for traps, but can't afford to let any go as spares until all the traps have gone and I know how many are left.

I,ve been using these traps for a few years and to any one who,s bought them i think you,ll be pretty impressed, on their backs or sides it doesn,t matter...nicepix it was an old french moletrapper who said use them on their sides lol each way theyre still effective........why its took this long for someone to supply them over here i dont know...

• Like 2

I,ve been using these traps for a few years and to any one who,s bought them i think you,ll be pretty impressed, on their backs or sides it doesn,t matter...nicepix it was an old french moletrapper who said use them on their sides lol each way theyre still effective........why its took this long for someone to supply them over here i dont know...

Hi Torchey,

I think that we had this discussion before. When the traps are on their backs, prongs up, the moles almost always rotate sideways on to wriggle through the trap, scrapers at 6 and 12 O'clock. Obviously if the trap was set on its side the mole wouldn't have to do this so logically that would be the best way. For myself, I've tried both ways and I really don't see any difference in catch rate. But again, for me personally, it is easier to set the traps on their backs the exception being when the tunnel curves away to one side or the other. There are loads of French videos on Youtube, most of them pure schite, but it seems that the majority of French trappers on Youtube certainly use the prongs up approach.

I was looking at the instructions on a pair of Putanges the other day and the diagram showed showed the traps prongs down. Now, I've found that to be the worst way of using them. The same diagram showed the trigger being placed sideways, i.e. using the longer side to wedge the prongs open. Again, that seems illogical as the spring would be compressing one of the open ends of the trigger and could cause it to compress and collapse. Placing the triggers in so that the spring compresses the two ends of the trigger together is the way I do it.

The more experienced trappers will be able to sort out the best methods and maybe come up with some of their own and I'm really looking forward to hearing their tips.

• Like 1

Sorry - No more orders can be accepted at this time. If anyone else is interested or anyone wanting to buy some more please PM me and I'll pass on your details to my Brother-in-Law who will have the remaining stock to sell from next weekend onwards.

I'll be posting the orders below out this coming Thursday by Hermes Parcels. If anyone has any queries about their order please PM me.

Thanks to all concerned, and remember: Tie the feckin' triggers on! :laugh:

• Like 2

Ping! F...k

:laugh:

Unbelievably the French pro's don't tie their triggers on. I bet they lose a lot of them :icon_eek:

When the traps are brand new and shiny it is vitally important to set the trigger square in the prongs and to have the straight part of the trigger and not the rounded corners between the jaws. As they age you can be less cautious with them.

I must have around 50 or 60 out permanently in gardens where I have monthly contracts. Six traps here, another eight there and so on. Every now and then I'll bring some of them in for a scrub up with a wire brush and then put them back in the box for the next job.