Wasp Numbers

Well my phone has gone dead!

Iv been watching a wasp nest in my mum's shed, my plan was to let it grow then let my step son negotiate a price with nanna, fill out the paperwork, get his bee suit on and do his first wasp treatment....then take the nest to cubs and let them disect it....

the other day I noticed it was about the size of a grapefruit, maybe a bit bigger but the wasps were getting less and less...today the nest is dead! No wasps at all.

.....is there something killing wasps other than pestcontrollers? Maybe something like the mite affecting honey bees???

The Wasp numbers around me are as good as they were last year, i did over 30 last week and yesterday i did 11, but i was talking to a another pestie yesterday who is a hour further north and he hasn't done a single nest yet

Very low numbers in the wakefield area of German or Common Wasps and the nest I have done are at a very early stage with very low activity only had 8 treatments so far.

Removed one from a shed on friday about the size of an orange.

I keep dogs in a kennel block and every year have an issue with fruit flies in the kennel and this year I have only just started seeing them this week and same around ferrets very low flie activity for time of year.

Conversly i have removed 3 wood wasps nests the external nests these have all been large nests and full of new queens these nests have had no issue with food supply.

Well my phone has gone dead!

Iv been watching a wasp nest in my mum's shed, my plan was to let it grow then let my step son negotiate a price with nanna, fill out the paperwork, get his bee suit on and do his first wasp treatment....then take the nest to cubs and let them disect it....

the other day I noticed it was about the size of a grapefruit, maybe a bit bigger but the wasps were getting less and less...today the nest is dead! No wasps at all.

.....is there something killing wasps other than pestcontrollers? Maybe something like the mite affecting honey bees???

Are there dead wasps in the nest mate? They might have been feeding on something already treated with insecticide.

• 2 weeks later...