Is There Any Law In Owning Two Rimfires?

I'm after some info, my dad has held a firearm ticket for the last 10 years but due to ill health he is not renewing it, so I thought I could get a friend who already has a ticket for a .22 rimfire and .22 centerfire to put it on his ticket while I apply for mine, so we filled the relivent forms in for transfere of firearms ect, anyway 5 weeks later and we haven't heard anything so he rang the lancs firearms dept only to be told he has no need for two .22rimfires so he explained he would just be holding it do me until I get a ticket they said you can't do that, anybody any info would be greatful. Cheers Neil b

the law states you have to have a need for any firearm applied for, if it was say a dedicated night vision gun then 2 would be fine, other than that get an RFD to hold it until you get your ticket but that will cost you

I had two on my ticket then a new fao said I didn't need two and took it off my cert and halved the amount of bullets I could store but I've seen boys with two or three as paulus says if you need them for different jobs you can try

I'm afraid you are a bit stuffed now. Whilst it is legitimate to have two rimfires for different purposes, i.e. daytime use and dedicated night vision, you have already told them the reason. I doubt they will wear it if your friend changes his story. Store with an RFD.

You can have multiple guns of the same calibre if you have good reason. I have two .22 rimfires one for day and one for night, you could also have two one bolt action the other semi auto. I also have two .204s for the same reason as my rimfires.

+1 paulus- it's all about 'reason why', a variation for a duplicate caliber just to hold it won't wash... That's what rfd's are for. Either say one is going to be a dedicated night vision rifle or target rifle with the other daylight / conventional vermin control.

+1 paulus- it's all about 'reason why', a variation for a duplicate caliber just to hold it won't wash... That's what rfd's are for. Either say one is going to be a dedicated night vision rifle or target rifle with the other daylight / conventional vermin control.

:yes::yes::yes:

Indeed, lots of people have 2 or more, I currently have 2, and at one point I actually had 3 x .22lr on my FAC.

:thumbs:

• Like 1

:yes::yes::yes:

Indeed, lots of people have 2 or more, I currently have 2, and at one point I actually had 3 x .22lr on my FAC.

:thumbs:

It makes you wonder why they worry so much actually.

You're never going to equip an army with 2 rimfires and being rimfire, the risk is very low in terms of lethality if someone went crazy plus you can only use 1 gun at once!

Sometimes the rules just get a little bit silly. If he wanted 3 x .22-250's, then it might raise a few more questions, although even then, as Deker said, 2 might be justifiable if 1 was dedicated to NV and the other DV.

However, it is what it is. You have to show good reason and if Lancs won't accept it then an RFD is his only option.

It makes you wonder why they worry so much actually. You need good reason, it doesn't matter about the calibre!

You're never going to equip an army with 2 rimfires and being rimfire, the risk is very low in terms of lethality if someone went crazy You seem to be forgetting Derrick Bird not long back! plus you can only use 1 gun at once!

Sometimes the rules just get a little bit silly. If he wanted 3 x .22-250's, then it might raise a few more questions, although even then, as Deker said, 2 might be justifiable if 1 was dedicated to NV and the other DV. You can add Semi and Target to that with .22 rimfire, so 4 at least with appropriate reason.

However, it is what it is. You have to show good reason and if Lancs won't accept it then an RFD is his only option. Correct!

Edited by Deker