Insure Your Dogs - Injuries Don't Just Happen During Working Months!!

(this is also in 'write-ups' but moved to here)

I was out at 6 am on my usual morning walk with the dogs through the local nature reserve, taking my usual route down the river and through the woods, with the old girl 'Skye' at my side, as usual, and the sapling 'Tip' up ahead sniffing about chasing squirrels, as usual. The walk was just like any other, minus the rain for a change, and as luck would have it without my 6 month old daughter who is usually out with me taking in the fresh air and listening to the birds.

All of a sudden'Tip' shot off up through the trees on hot pursuit of something I'd missed, most probably a squirrel, but we get a lot of roe deer knocking about up there so I whistled him back as I was unsure what he'd gone after. I don't want him coursing deer (for obvious reasons)!! He didn't come back first time as he usually does so I gave out another whistle, and sure enough he can galloping back, hurdled a fallen tree and skidded to a halt in front of me. I gave him a pat on the head, sent him on, then noticed his leg was RED, very RED.

I called him back and my gut churned, it was blood, lots of blood, and it was literally squirting out from a hole at his hock. I panicked a little, who wouldn't, it was horrifying. I scooped him up and squeezed his leg tight to slow the bleeding and ran home as fast as I could with old 'Skye' running behind. I called the Mrs, puffing and panting as I ran, telling her to get the first aid kit out as 'Tip' had a nasty gash. When I arrived home 'Wonder Woman' was stood there with said first aid kit and leaped into action. My Mrs is brilliant at times like this whereas I tend to spin around trying to figure out my next move!!

As she was seeing to 'Tip' I pulled out Penny Taylors book, 'Working dog Maintenance'. What a book that is, if you don't have it BUY IT, it's brilliant and gives a lot of useful info and tips regarding injuries and how to deal with them. I'm on my second round reading this book, but in the panic my mind was blank so I flicked through to the section on skin tears and cuts for a bit of guidance.

Anyway, the Mrs got 'Tip' bandaged up and I called the emergency vet to tell them I was on my way. By the time I got there he was a little shaky and his gums were pretty pale due to the blood loss, and on examination the vet informed me he had been cut to the bone, straight through a vein (hence the squirting blood) and completely severed a tendon! Not good! This meant surgery!

The vet asked me if 'Tip' was insured, I winced as I replied "No, I've meaning to get it sorted"!! "How much money do you have?" he asked, "How much do I need?" I reluctantly replied! He then told me due to the 'out of hours fees', surgery and drugs, I'd be very lucky to see any change from £600, and it could get as high as £800 if there was any damage to the bone!! The dog wasn't the only one wounded!!

Well, 'Tip' had his surgery this morning and is recovering in is bed as I type. The tendon was successfully sutured, there was no damage to the bone, and I did get change from £600...£104 in fact, still bringing the bill to a rather hefty £496. This was better than the original quote but it still leaves a substantial dent in my 'new van funds'

I had a harsh lesson today. Don't ponder over different insurers and quotes too much, if you've had quotes from a half dozen companies already you generally won't find anything better than you've already found.

If you haven't insured your dog yet stop messing about and get it done. Injuries don't just happen during the working months, they can jump out and slap you and your dog round the chops at any time!!

'Tip' is now on a strictly NO exercise routine for 3 weeks before his splint can be taken off, then light exercise on a lead for another few weeks, with an estimated and optimistic 3 months recovery time!! Looks like we will be starting late this coming season, if at all!!

• Like 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks Krawnden for clarifying that I appreciate that and like you say causing an injury like that would sharp gobble up that sort of money and fair play to you Leesy buddy ? its nice to see you so co

This insurance malarkey any good if your dog gets ran over and wrecks a car or such? If it decides to take fancy to a flock of the farmers woolies can the insurance save your own pocket or is it just

If the vets prices was reasonable there would be no need for insurance. And because there IS insurance available, vets rape you with their prices.... They both work in each other's favours. Scammers..

I've got 9 so not a fkn chance of insuring them..lost two this week one with a cancerous tumour the big bull x and the other a terrier in an accident.. No insurance was saving either..not doubting its a good thing for an odd dog or two but when you have a big team of grafters you'd have to be a millionaire lol

Edited to add I forgot about Swift lol so make that 10 ?

• Like 2

I've said if for ages. Can't understand people not having it.

Only exception really is like Fuji says, he's got 10 Dogs so would probably be about £130-£150 a month to insure all them.

One good claim can be the equivalent to a few years worth of payments.

All the best with your dog and hope he makes a speedy recovery.

• Like 2

I've kept running dogs for over 30 years and always insured them. I've no regrets about doing so. I reckon over that time I've probably just about broken even in terms of premiums paid versus claims made. But for me I prefer to pay a steady drip, drip each month and know I'm covered in case of a sudden emergency. With the cost of vets bills these days it's scarily easy to be faced with a sudden bill in the hundreds or even thousands. If you can afford it fine, but for me I'd really struggle to find that sort of money at the drop of a hat.

Hope your youngster makes a full recovery Leesy...

• Like 1

I have just paid £337 to have my dog sewn up after he had a nasty gash on the underside of his chest. They also charged me an extra £9 on top of £337 for a lampshade collar which he hasn't worn because he can't reach the stitches anyway. I will be insuring my dog from now on and returning the lampshade collar for a refund.

:clapper:Good thread...

This is something, I realy must do... :yes:

No excuses,...bite the bullet and get all my gang signed up..

With lurchers, it is invariably, 'an accident,... waiting to happen" :icon_eek:

Edited by Phil Lloyd

thanks to all well wishers. he's doin well, just strugglin with not bein able to go out with me and the old girl. but 3 weeks house rest is better than screwin himself up for the rest of his career!

It can and does happen both mine are insured, hope he recovers mate you can give me an update when you come for the ferrets atb

Looking forward to picking up the kits pal...my lad is deside himself with excitement, one of them will be his first ferret. Really can't wait to get him out in the field with me.

It can and does happen both mine are insured, hope he recovers mate you can give me an update when you come for the ferrets atb

Looking forward to picking up the kits pal...my lad is deside himself with excitement, one of them will be his first ferret. Really can't wait to get him out in the field with me.

theres a few people requesting some now because there such good workers yours is reserved don't worry also another litter about a week old to move on as well when there ready