• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No nasty chav calibre

I agree with charlie caller,I too owned a 222 and through sheer stupidity sold it, traded it for a 223,after listening to biased one sided arguments on the differences between them, don t get me wrong

Chaps I can bear witness to Charlie's hornet I've seen the grouping and it was frightening.   I used to think he'd only hit the target twice and the other three he shot away on purpose as you could

Posted Images

Why get a .17 hornet, when a .17 rem is much better, I love the .22 hornet, and I would imagine the .17 hornet is a good little round, but with the superb, blisteringly fast .17 rem available, that does not use a lot more powder, I cant really see the point, @250 yards the .17 rem has a drop of only 3 inches, so it really is just point and shoot at most foxing ranges.

To be honest this is like saying "why bother with a .22 hornet when you can have the blisteringly fast 22.250" etc.

• Like 1

Indeed it is, and if someone wants the ultimate downrange energy, flat shooting, home office guideline crap, fox rifle then get the .243, you can have your .220 swifts, .22-250s, .204 rugers, etc etc nothing shoots flatter, with more energy, in the home office guideline bracket, fox rifle than a .243, but if you are not bothered about deer, and want to shoot foxes @ 300 yards, and want a .17 calibre, the .17 rem is the daddy, if you want an all round, do everything, flat to 400 yards grizzly bear killer, get a .330 dakota, and so on, the point I am trying to make is there is always something better(relative terms) get a rifle you like that shoots well and learn its shortcomings, and strengths, and enjoy, there is always a faster bike, bigger ass, better fishing rod etc, but you cant always have it. :yes:

• Like 2

Hi guys thinking about putting in for a variation for .22 hornet I don't want to go any bigger caliber than this really as I have no need to and would like people's thoughts on the caliber for vermin control thanks.

Go for it then, for a bit more punch/range than rimfires they can be very useful, and stick with the .22.

Pretty much everything has been said here, centrefire ammo costs more than rimfire, fact of life, but a .22lr and a Hornet can be a very useful combination for lots of people for vermin control.

:thumbs:

• Like 2

With a decent moderator, a .222 will make absolutely no more crack than a hornet, I shot loads of times with my hornet, my mate using his .222 you could not tell them apart noise wise mate, seriously get the .222 it will be the best decision you will ever make :yes: old mans calibre lol, well if it is, it is still one of the most accurate cartridges ever made, so while you sit there smoking your pipe, you will be safe in the knowledge that you WILL hit your target ;)

Edited by charlie caller
  • Like 1

No get the .222 :D:D

just concerned on the crack it will give off compared to the hornet as I would prefer to keep the noise down to a minimum really you can get a lot for your money on the 222 though

As CC has said, the difference in noise is hardly noticeable, and certainly not a game changer in my opinion.

But it's a .222 not a Hornet, where do you stop? :thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

Elliot, your video and anyone elses are as usefull as a dose of cholera when it comes to determining sound levels from a particular rifle, they bear no resemblance to what you hear. To compare you need both cals side by side on the same day at virtually the same time and be stood next to them.

The op seems to have made his choice in spite of everyones own personal preferences and predjudices. As Deker says where do you stop, .22.250, .243, 7mm rem mag?

• Like 2

With a decent moderator, a .222 will make absolutely no more crack than a hornet, I shot loads of times with my hornet, my mate using his .222 you could not tell them apart noise wise mate, seriously get the .222 it will be the best decision you will ever make :yes: old mans calibre lol, well if it is, it is still one of the most accurate cartridges ever made, so while you sit there smoking your pipe, you will be safe in the knowledge that you WILL hit your target ;)

well I've changed my mind and putting in for the 222 with moderator thanks for all your opinions guys
  • Like 1